XCR Forum banner

What do you preferr? OD Green or Tan stocks, mags, grips, hand guards etc?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide what color gear to outfit the XCR with. Its only a bench gun for me so it won't be seeing any woodland or desert action. This is strictly a cosmetic question.

UPDATE: I PhotoShopped 2 examples of how I want my setup.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Here's a XCR pic I got off the web somewhere. It looks like Coyote Brown. Don't have any good pix of one in OD though. I already have an AR in Coyote and one in OD. Haven't decided if I want to coat my XCR or in what color.
cheers, R20

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think I'm going to coat mine. Thought about it but decided to just buy colored accessories. The Duracoat looks shiny on some surfaces and almost brittle on others (though I know its not).

·
Registered
923 Posts
I think that the OD looks better on any weapon

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I don't think I'm going to coat mine. Thought about it but decided to just buy colored accessories. The Duracoat looks shiny on some surfaces and almost brittle on others (though I know its not).
Duracoat recently introduced their "tactical colors", which include OD green. These colors are supposed to have no sheen at all. Too late for me and my OD XCR, but good to know going forward. Also, they now sell a flattener ingredient that is supposed to take the sheen out of their non "tactical colors". fwiw

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright so there were only a few votes cast, but I'm leaning toward the OD Green. I spent a little time PhotoShopping the rifle I think I'll put together (accessories wise) with the exception of a muzzle brake in lieu of a flash hider. In fairness, I did a tan one too. See above in my original post for this poll.

Here's what I'm thinking..... >:D

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yeah, I've been duracoating for about a year now (as a hobby). The sheen does vary, I just finish it off with their flat clear. This is a must when doing camo's with different colors & sheens. I just did some AR furniture in Woodland Green (it's the greener color in a set of Woodland BDU's), I'll take it to the field next weekend and compare to my OD & Tan AR's. I'll take pics.

XCR-Fin, just buy both and you can mix em up ;). That tan one is too yellowish. I'd like to see it more brown? FlatDarkEarth is the 'in' color these days. MagPul FDE seems to be setting the standard. I've got a pic of my Coyote Tan AR with a MagPul mag.

The top is spray painted Krylon 'fusion' Khaki.
Middle is Duracoat Woodland Tan.
Bottom is Duracoat Coyote Brown. Also notice the shine on that EOTech. I had too much hardener in the mix, It's better now.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
.....That tan one is too yellowish. I'd like to see it more brown? FlatDarkEarth is the 'in' color these days. MagPul FDE seems to be setting the standard. I've got a pic of my Coyote Tan AR with a MagPul mag.
There. I took some of the yellow out of it. You were right it was off a bit. Nice looking paint jobs you got there Roughneck-2zero.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks. I'm planning on recoating that Bushmaster in Magpul FDE, but I have a matching Glock that I'd have to redo also. (BTW that is an old pic. the Bushy is now an SBR) Plus I sold that M4 in the middle to buy my XCR ;D

Terra, a friend of yours? I have the unblocked pic if you want it. I just blocked it because I don't know the dude. I like his Tan coated XCR.
cheerio

·
Registered
312 Posts
He's kind of a young guy. I can post the pic if you think it's OK.
XCRFin, that looks great. How did you color those pix? I have basic 'paint shop'. It would take me a day just to do a color change, and it wouldn't even look that good.

I want to play around and see what my XCR would look like with Alum or SS Duracoat. I coated one guys' AR entirely in Blue. He wanted it to look like a 'Rubber-Ducky' training weapon. ???

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
XCRFin, that looks great. How did you color those pix? I have basic 'paint shop'. It would take me a day just to do a color change, and it wouldn't even look that good.
Thank you. I'm pretty sure you can do it no matter the version of PS. The tools/methods were pretty basic. You just need to know your way around the program a little bit. Basically, I found a pic of an XCR and used the Polygon Lasso Tool to trace the parts I wanted to "cut off" the XCR (stock, grip) then hit delete. Then I found the stock, grip etc I wanted on the Internet (luckily most were also on a white background) used the Poly Lasso Tool again to trace around those parts. I should mention you have 2 windows open at this point, one for the XCR and one for the part you're working to attach to the XCR that you copied from the Internet. Drag the part you just traced onto the XCR picture's window. Now you'll need to resize and position it in the right place. Notice it creates another layer in the layer menu on the right. This also works for parts of the gun that you were already on it. For example, the rail guards were on the original picture. I just used the Poly Lasso to trace it, right click and choose Layer via cut. Layers create individual regions that you can edit independently. This is key for the next steps. Once you have all your parts dragged, dropped, resized and repositioned on the XCR image you can begin to adjust them for the color you want. I used a mix of these to get the colors right: go to Image -->Adjustments on the top menu and play around with the Hue/Saturation, Color Balance and Brightness/Contrast.

Send me an e-mail and I'll forward you the PhotoShop file with all the layers. It'll save you some time and give you a better idea of what I'm trying to explain above.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you. I'm pretty sure you can do it no matter the version of PS. The tools/methods were pretty basic. You just need to know your way around the program a little bit. Basically, I found a pic of an XCR and used the Polygon Lasso Tool to trace the parts I wanted to "cut off" the XCR (stock, grip) then hit delete. Then I found the stock, grip etc I wanted on the Internet (luckily most were also on a white background) used the Poly Lasso Tool again to trace around those parts. I should mention you have 2 windows open at this point, one for the XCR and one for the part you're working to attach to the XCR that you copied from the Internet. Drag the part you just traced onto the XCR picture's window. Now you'll need to resize and position it in the right place. Notice it creates another layer in the layer menu on the right. This also works for parts of the gun that you were already on it. For example, the rail guards were on the original picture. I just used the Poly Lasso to trace it, right click and choose Layer via cut. Layers create individual regions that you can edit independently. This is key for the next steps. Once you have all your parts dragged, dropped, resized and repositioned on the XCR image you can begin to adjust them for the color you want. I used a mix of these to get the colors right: go to Image -->Adjustments on the top menu and play around with the Hue/Saturation, Color Balance and Brightness/Contrast.

Send me an e-mail and I'll forward you the PhotoShop file with all the layers. It'll save you some time and give you a better idea of what I'm trying to explain above.
Oops. Just realized you said Paint Shop not PhotoShop. Don't think you can do it with Paint Shop.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts