XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your opinions on offset light mounts ? I am thinking about buying an offset mount to be able to mount my light better on my XCR does anyone have any recommendations on which mounts work best ? I am hoping to be able to get a quality mount for around $50 or so. Where do you all mount your light 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 9 o'clock ? Any recommendations would help.

·
Registered
981 Posts
What is your opinions on offset light mounts ? I am thinking about buying an offset mount to be able to mount my light better on my XCR does anyone have any recommendations on which mounts work best ? I am hoping to be able to get a quality mount for around or so. Where do you all mount your light 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 9 o'clock ? Any recommendations would help.
I have a Daniel Defense offset light mount. It is solid aluminum, very good quality. Being right handed, mine hangs off at the 3 'o' clock and positions the light perfect for your thumb if you run a vertical grip. I believe it set me back $50. It is good if your going run an offset, but in hindsight, I would prefer a light mount at the 6 o clock with a pressure switch. In training I do alot of weak hand shooting, especially working with barricades. With the light at the 3 o clock, you have to make sure the weapon is a little further out to clear the barricade so that you dont backlight yourself.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Vltor light mount: if you want one, let me know - I'll lowball anyone's price.

One of the instructors at Gunsite asked "who dropped a light?"
I thought "I'd hate to be the sucker with gear falling off"!

But then nobody responded and he asked again. And I looked at my carbine. It was MY light.

The Vltor mount came off, and has been in my parts pile for a few years now.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is your opinions on offset light mounts ? I am thinking about buying an offset mount to be able to mount my light better on my XCR does anyone have any recommendations on which mounts work best ? I am hoping to be able to get a quality mount for around or so. Where do you all mount your light 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 9 o'clock ? Any recommendations would help.
I have a Daniel Defense offset light mount. It is solid aluminum, very good quality. Being right handed, mine hangs off at the 3 'o' clock and positions the light perfect for your thumb if you run a vertical grip. I believe it set me back . It is good if your going run an offset, but in hindsight, I would prefer a light mount at the 6 o clock with a pressure switch. In training I do alot of weak hand shooting, especially working with barricades. With the light at the 3 o clock, you have to make sure the weapon is a little further out to clear the barricade so that you dont backlight yourself.
I was trying to think of a way to get the light off of the 3 o'clock rail, since it is hard to do training with cover doing off hand shooting, so I was hoping to be able to mount it on the 6 o'clock rail but also be able to hit it with my thumb instead of aa pressure pad.

Vltor light mount: if you want one, let me know - I'll lowball anyone's price.

One of the instructors at Gunsite asked "who dropped a light?"
I thought "I'd hate to be the sucker with gear falling off"!

But then nobody responded and he asked again. And I looked at my carbine. It was MY light.

The Vltor mount came off, and has been in my parts pile for a few years now.
I am now trying to buy quality gear instead of cheaper gear so if you do not like the gear I do not think I want it, you seem to know your stuff so if it does not work for you I do not see a point to get it myself.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
if you do not like the gear I do not think I want it, you seem to know your stuff so if it does not work for you I do not see a point to get it myself.
;D
I don't know what works for everyone, I just know what I've gotten to fail.
Unfortunately, I've gotten a bunch of stuff to fail :p

I know plenty of guys that haven't had problems with stuff I've broke - and then again, I've broke a Remmie 870 >:D

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Tac - I've got a Streamlight TLR1 mounted a six o'clock on mine and it is reasonably solid, while easy to manipulate the switch with a flick of the thumb or index finger. It works perfect for me, in conjunction with the EoTech - and illuminates extremely well out to 45-50 yards. Anything beyond that starts to wash out.

Is it a HEAVY DUTY setup? No, not enough to pound on it - but then again, I don't beat it around intentionally. It probably wouldn't last long on a carbine course, but for general use it seems to be solid. :2cents:

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I have an integrated unit that I got from Roy, a Pentagon. It was spendy but is very nice. It hangs at 3 oclock and has a pressure activation switch. In the future I will just buy a mount as I seem to be collecting Surefire lights now and have a few laying around for use. I like the integrated light/mount as I am never without a light in my pocket and therefore dont have a need to ever remove a light from the mount, but with all these lights I figure I better put them to use.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Yeah, I got the LED Unit, primarily for Hog Hunting at dawn/dusk. It is legal to Hog Hunt at night in GA, just not on Ft. Stewart. I am planning on getting one of those 250 lumen LED heads for my 6P to try, see how that thing throws the light.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the light I am currently running is a Fenix P3D with a Cree bulb and it is a great piece of gear, I am easily able to hit targets out to 100 yards and if I had a longer range I could probably go farther. I am now trying to learn proper light technique and my current set up is not working for me. I am hoping to get some quality gear because I am starting to prepare myself for my future career in Law Enforcement so in additonal to getting my mind and body ready, I am trying to get any equipment I might depend on ready.

I was think that since I am getting ready to order a new sling I also need to get a better light mount. I am getting ready to order the Blue Force / Vickers 2 point sling, and mount it to the rifle up front with the MI mount and mount it to the rear of my CTR stock. I was hoping to be able to mount my light to the 6 o'clock rail and be able to just hit the light on and off with my thumb of my support hand when using a vertical foregrip. My other concern with this setup is that the sling and sling mount would be in the way of my light.

If anyone has input it would help

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
DTOM, it just loosened up on me. I thought I had it locked down tight, and it more than likely was, but the recoil loosened it up. Loctite would have done just fine, I just wanted something I could switch locations with until I figured out what worked for me.

Az, I've got a 250 lumen on mine, been running that for at least a year and a half now - probably closer to two. It's BRIGHT. My light has a bigger head than the 6P, with a deeper reflector assembly - throws the 250 lumens out far. As in sight on a target and hit at 400. I got the idea from my best friend - he used a Surefire with extremely similar stats while in the sandbox. He said quarter-mile shots weren't hard at night....... he was right.

Tac, I didn't like the light at 6 o'clock. Just seemed to be limited, as I was trying to use whatever I could as a natural rest - or down in the dirt in a prone position. So I wound up running it at 3 o'clock, and all the way forward. Makes it more difficult for me to activate accidentally...... got jumped for a "light AD" at one point, so that ain't happening again ;-) It's not the best in the world answer, but it's what I came up with that seems to be the least worst answer. At least for me.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Az, I've got a 250 lumen on mine, been running that for at least a year and a half now - probably closer to two. It's BRIGHT. My light has a bigger head than the 6P, with a deeper reflector assembly - throws the 250 lumens out far. As in sight on a target and hit at 400. I got the idea from my best friend - he used a Surefire with extremely similar stats while in the sandbox. He said quarter-mile shots weren't hard at night....... he was right.
That is exactly what I am looking for, the throw. My 120 Lumen bulb is plenty bright but I want to be able to throw a concentrated beam a little ways and it sounds like that 250 lumen will work perfect.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I've used a viking tactics mount in the past and a Larue currently and both put the light on the 3 o clock side, down to where it worked great with a VFG. The viking mount brings it in closer to the rail and the Larue drops it straight down. I like the placement of the Larue better, but it is a good bit more expensive. Both work well and are solid.

Whoever posted about having to make sure you clear your cover when weak side shooting is exactly right. Using a 250 lumen bulb, I learned real quick how easy it is to blind yourself if you don't get the light out from behind the cover.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Az, I don't think you can get that kind of throw with a 6P.

The reflector assembly just isn't big enough to columnate that much light.

I've got a 6P, and while I don't have a light module that'll pump out 250 lumens, the throw on it is..... uh, "more suited to closer illumination" ;D

Don't take that as gospel (I could be mistaken) but mine just never was good for anything near that far.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Someone had posted this http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/KalashnikovParts.shtml a while back which is an interesting bit for an offset mount. If you mounted the light on it on the right side it looks like it would position it very well for strong side shooting for a righty. I suppose you could always mount a light on either side. ;-)

With the light at 6 o'clock, ergonomically I don't think you'll be able to easily activate it with your thumb. Joints only bend one way and all that. You could always go with one of these http://www.surefire.com/M900A-Vertical-Foregrip although it is a bit pricey.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
704 Posts
Aziator,

The 250 drop in from tactical night vision is the one I am running. It seems to have a good blend of throw and spill. One night, while standing under a street light, I was able to illuminate a stop sign at 100 yards and a street sign at about 110 yards. The spill was easily a 40 foot diameter as it more than hit from curb to curb.

So far I am very pleased with the bulb. I am still on the first set of batteries as well and have been using the bulb for 4 months of work on the road and two, two hour night fire sessions.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts