XCR Forum banner

Oh ye of little faith...

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Prizm 
#1 ·
That was the voice I heard in my head as I shot my XCR today. You see, 60 degree temps allowed my buddy and I to head to the range for a bit to test out our new AR piston uppers. We've been chompin' at the bit just waiting to see how much better these would shoot than and regular AR15. Before I left the house I looked at the XCR in the safe and thought I should take it since I hadn't yet zeroed the Eotech that's on it. Threw it in the back of the SUV and off we go. I've got the POF upper in 9.25" and my buddy has a LWRC in 10.5". I shot the POF and it was cool. My exact words were "nothing dramatic". It seemed to shoot a bit more solid than my regular AR's of the past. A sharp, crisp type of recoil. I do have and Enidine recoil buffer in my AR so maybe that helped. I did note the lack of spring noise as compared to the past. Probably because of the Enidine. My buddy shot his and basically had the same reaction. Nothing exciting but nothing to really complain about either. Good stuff. So... I grab the XCR and load the Pmag with a little Wolf ammo just as I had with the POF. I pulled the trigger and, Holy Moses!! I mean... wow this gun is sooooo frickin' smooth. It was unbelievably different and better than the AR's. I had completely forgotten. It shot like it was an extension of my body, like a sewing machine, but better. I've always liked the XCR, and I've been partial to it since those three days at carbine class. But I haven't shot it a whole lot since. All these new pistons, Masadas, and SCARs, have had my attention. I'd taken the XCR for granted. I don't know if I'll do that again. This rifle is amazing.

As we drove back from the shoot, we discussed how awesome the gun is. And we wondered if the new offerings from Magpul/Bushmaster and FN will shoot anything like the XCR. My buddy said "probably not". I used to be in a hurry to get one of the new weapons, but now I'm not. Since SHOT I had been seriously considering a LWRC 6.8 SPC. Now I'm not so sure. Not when I can have it in the Robinson and have that silky smooth action. I'm eagerly awaiting the 7.62 conversion now. And maybe I'll do it in 6.8.

All I can say now is thanks, Alex, for making such a great product. Please, please, continue to make it better and have more options. This weapon deserves more press and reviews. I'm not the smartest bloke on the earth but even in my stupidity I can tell a superior design when I shoot it. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Well,

I was asked by a buddy today, who is the proud owner of a S&W M&P AR style rifle, if I would bring my XCR down for him to shoot. So I did this afternoon.

I gave him a little safety brief, loaded up the P-Mag, and told him where the bolt release and safety was.

Well, he dripped the bolt and said: "Hey this thing is great, I wish my AR had that type of bolt release". He went on and dropped the safety and said: "This safety is so much better than the AR as it doesn't have to move so far, and is far easier to engage and disengage" All this before the first shot rang out!

Again, after playing with my safety, on, off, on, off, on, off and got ready to take the shot. BANG! Holly Shit! That trigger is great, and it shoots so smooth! Not much recoil. This was from a guy who loves his M&P and had just finished putting about 200 rounds through it.

Well, he kept a steady pace and was shooting a group about 1/3rd of what he was shooting through his M&P fitted with a scope. He went on to say: "This thing is amazing, what's is called an XCR. That is just great".

Well it was no supprise to me that this "Thing" called the XCR had elicited such a responce from a first time shooter. This weapons system is one of the best I've shot, and I've shot quite a few, and has forged it's place as my favorite semi-auto.

Thanks, Alex for producing a GREAT rifle, and a special thanks to Bill Springfield who did such a fantastic job on my trigger. Bill, you have truly made a good rifle, GREAT!

#3 ·
I agree that the xcr is just 'smooth.'

I hadn't shot an AR in quite a while before my last range session, and my buddy brought along an old colt sp1. The thing had noticeably more recoil and muzzle rise (in fairness it's a good bit lighter), and sounded like a damn pogo stick in my ear :p

Once you're used to the xcr's bolt release, the ar's is no fun anymore. I feel spoiled ;D

#4 ·
YUP!

The ONLY thing the SP1 has on the XCR is weight.

That's the reason I wish we could knock a pound and a half off the weight of the XCR...... carrying all day, shooting a little.

Even so, there's a reason I've got more XCRs at home than I do ARs! Down side - I've got to wait until tomorrow to pick up the new XCR :-\

#5 ·
Well I'll tell you one thing, I'm considering getting another XCR with a whole different set up. Maybe a dedicated 7.62 or 6.8 spc. And yeah if they could maybe knock off a pound or two it would be a nice addition. Aussie, that's a great story about your buddy. It really seems unbelievable how different the XCR is in it's behavior. I can't believe it's not on every magazine cover. I'm sure the HK 416 is great but in the end it's an AR15, right? Anyway the XCR is the mainstay. Nothing else can come close at this point.

#8 ·
The last time I gave my XCR to an AR shooter, he fired 2 rounds and asked me "how did I do that?" referring to the smoothness and lack of recoil.

I agree with everyone else about how good, no great, the XCR. If they got the press they deserved, then it may take even longer to get the things we want from them due to the increased demand.

I never thought an AR kicked much until I had gone several months of shooting the XCR only. The charging handle actually stung my nose.

#9 ·
Can't wait to turn the gas down on mine then... so far for me its been the opposite; the XCR has noticeably more recoil on gas setting 4 than any AR I've ever shot. That was my very first thought as the first round left the barrel. My buddy had the exact same impression when he shot it on the same day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.