XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been touched on in another thread, but I thought it might be worthwhile to post as a separate topic. I have one of the original XCR's with the old style gas system. I've just ordered a 7.62x39 conversion kit. It sounds like I need to order at least one or two extra parts to make the 7.62 conversion work in my existing rifle. What exactly do I need? Is it a new operating rod? Anything else?

If I want to update my existing rifle to new gas system, should I send it back to RA? I thought I read something about the muzzle brake/flash hider needing to be removed to switch over to the new system. Is this correct?

Finally, it sounds like for the 7.62 conversion I have to install a new hammer spring? Is this correct? Can I keep the new spring in when I switch back to .223 or do I have to switch out springs each time I change between calibers?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Re: Old style XCR (with original adjustable gas system) and new 7.x39 conversion

Houndog,

Well good news is that I can answer some of your questions. Bad news is I can't answer them all :)

Your conversion kit will come with a new gas system already installed on it! Woohoo badass right? You may need a new op rod, i'm not sure about that. Your existing muzzle brake / flash hider will NOT need to be installed on the 7.62. It won't fit. If you didn't order a fancy smancy one and have it sent to RA then you'll get one installed on it from the factory.

With the kit you get a new barrel with the new gas system, a new hammer spring, a new brass deflector, a heavier looking pistol type deal. That hammer spring is NOT hard to install, but don't be an idiot like me and put it in backwards. I found a thread that had a view of the trigger that helped me out a lot.

You can leave the hammer spring in the .223 when you switch back. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
To make the 7.62 kit work on your existing rifle, you will need to add a new piston head in addition to the parts included in the kit.

To make your old 5.56 barrel work with the new piston head, you will need to change the old gas block out for the new one. You will need to remove the flash hider to install the new gas block. Maybe you can get RA to install it if you want.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I think they just about covered it for you. If you get a conversion you are going to want to upgrade your old 5.56 barrel so you don't have to keep switching the piston head back and forth between the 2 styles. When you order the conversion kit just make sure you let them know that you have the old system so they can include the new piston head. Lastly, you should be able to install the new one on your 5.56 no problem. Just need a wrench, vise and elbow grease (and you really need all that to install the piston head anyways).

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Re: Old style XCR (with original adjustable gas system) and new 7.76x39 conversi

Hmmm... The XCR is sounding less and less modular...

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Less modular because they improved the early gas system and because people use cheap 7.62 ammo with super hard primers?? Going to have to disagree with you on this one.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I believe all conversion kits come with the new piston head. My 6.8 kit did even though I had already converted my 5.56 to the new style gas system.

As Aziator said, converting to the new style gas system is not difficult but you will need a vise and some elbow grease (and perhaps the leverage of a long wrench or breaker bar) to remove the flash hider and piston head. My flash hider was the easier of the two to remove. You'll want to have some loctite for the new piston head as well.

There is a video of the process out there but I don't have access to the link at the moment. When I do I will edit and post it here.

EDIT: The video is embedded in this post:

http://xcrforum.com/index.php/topic,721.0.html

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
You don't need to remove the FH on the 7.62 kit because it comes with one. You only have to remove the piston head.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You don't need to remove the FH on the 7.62 kit because it comes with one. You only have to remove the piston head.
Correct. The conversion kit will come with the new style gas block and a new piston. The point is you should convert the 5.56 barrel to the new style gas block so that you don't have to change pistons every time you switch calibers.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Correct. The conversion kit will come with the new style gas block and a new piston. The point is you should convert the 5.56 barrel to the new style gas block so that you don't have to change pistons every time you switch calibers.
+1

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I asked this question in another thread but never got an answer.... I have a new style gas block on my XCR but the pistol head is definately different with the kit that I received. I'm assuming I need to change it out to the new piston since it looks to be a bit beefier, but wasn't sure. Am I assuming correctly?

This is whats stopping me from shooting my rifle right now.... well that and being 4500 miles away.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I asked this question in another thread but never got an answer.... I have a new style gas block on my XCR but the pistol head is definately different with the kit that I received. I'm assuming I need to change it out to the new piston since it looks to be a bit beefier, but wasn't sure. Am I assuming correctly?

This is whats stopping me from shooting my rifle right now.... well that and being 4500 miles away.
As far as I know, there are only two style pistons; one for the new style gas blocks and one for the old style gas blocks. I wouldn't change the piston for a conversion kit if I already had the new style gas block installed on my base caliber.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'll try to post a picture when I get home. The piston I have is on the new gas system. The one that I've had looks almost like a stainless very shiny type finish. The one that came with the conversion kit looks heavier, has thicket walls and almost has a galvanized type appearance?

It'll be a couple of weeks before i'm back, so maybe someone knows what the heck i'm talking about.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys, they were a big help. Based on your input I've decided to pony up the extra cash and switch to the new improved style gas block. Don't really want to have to mess with changing the piston head every time I switch between calibers. Plus, I'd debated upgrading when the new system originally came out since it looks better and is a little easier to adjust. (Although honestly adjusting the old system wasn't all that difficult).

Now I'm just hoping that the mag issues are pretty much resolved and that replacing the hammer spring for the 7.62x39 conversion isn't going to mess up the trigger job Bill Springfield did on the gun.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Re: Old style XCR (with original adjustable gas system) and new 7.76x39 conversi

Get one on order on the website NOW. I have them in stock but they are limited and go fast.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually put my order in just before posting, so hopefully I should be alright. Going to send the barrel to you for the upgrade since I have zero tools and, if I am honest with myself, am not particularly adept mechanically. So Terra, do you think you could squirrel the necessary parts away for me so that you'll have them in a few days when my barrel arrives? ;)

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I am getting my 7.62 kit this week, I have the older style gas system, so I'll take pictures.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts

Consider them squirrelled. Send your barrel AND your op rod, mkay? And if you live in NJ or NY or have a 14.5" perm attached, we are going to have problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm in Massachusetts, so I have a muzzle brake instead of FH. Not sure how it's attached. Will be sure to send barrel and op. rod.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts

I don't believe we permanently attach those. Unless your crush washer is silver, it shouldn't be.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts