XCR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying an AR. Currently in Canada for SBR AR's there is not much selection but I have narrowed it down to a few. LMT 10.5" Defender 2000 and either a 11.5" or 14.5" Sabre Defense XR15. I can't find any 14.5" LMT's so 10.5" is my only option. What do you guys think? I am kinda looking to have a M4 style AR so I was kinda hoping to go with 14.5" but the LMT is in stock and the Sabre Defense is a couple months out.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Can you build you own lower and upper up there?

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
My take on Sabre:

At the last course I did, two of my buddies took Sabre ARs.

One lasted most of the first day, before the extractor spring just flatly gave up. He had (maybe) 500 rounds through it total, as he was verifying operation of his new AR.

The second, well, it wound up going back to Sabre. What they decided (at Sabre) was that the barrel extension was all wrong. Essentially what happened was one of the rounds caught the extension wrong while feeding, and forced the bullet back into the casing. When it went off, the bolt was ruined, the mag blew out the well (and ballooned out), etc. Sabre did fix him up with a proper barrel extension, new bolt, etc - but the way I look at it isn't good. That was long before the run on all these weapons - do you figure their QC went up or down in all the heavy workload?

ETA: this one was the same situation - bought new and brought to a course to verify that it was "proper".

I would tell you about the third Sabre at the class, but I can't - there were only two. That translates to a 100% failure rate in my book.

FWIW, both of these guys fell back to "issue" Colt Commandos. Even the Colts had problems in that kind of environment.......
The only folks that didn't have problems with malfs in the harsh conditions were myself (running an XCR) and another friend who ran an M14.

AR? Well....... I've got ONE AR left - and just so I have commonality with my hard-headed buddies that refuse to change to a superior system (GRIN) So I guess I can't understand why you'd opt for an AR over another XCR.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I am thinking of buying an AR. Currently in Canada for SBR AR's there is not much selection but I have narrowed it down to a few. LMT 10.5" Defender 2000 and either a 11.5" or 14.5" Sabre Defense XR15. I can't find any 14.5" LMT's so 10.5" is my only option. What do you guys think? I am kinda looking to have a M4 style AR so I was kinda hoping to go with 14.5" but the LMT is in stock and the Sabre Defense is a couple months out.
LMT is good. Personally I would slip across the border and get an LWRC SBR upper.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As for Sabre QC, the Sabres we get up here are completely manufactured and assembled in the UK. So the increase in demand should not poise a problem. But so far I see the consensus to be to go with LMT. And yes I can build my own upper and lower up here. I can also purchase a Stag or RRA and replace the 16" barrel with a 14.5" or whatever length I wish. I wish we could still get Noveske up here but those are all but dried up here.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already have an XCR. I just want a M4 type rifle as well. I am kind of a collector.

I already have for modern type rifles
XCR-L 5.56
Tavor 5.56
Sig 551 5.56
RRA 9mm AR
M14 with Troy MCS
Beretta CX4 storm 9mm

on order
Keltec RFB 308
Sabre Defense 9mm AR
XCR-M 308

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't just buy from that place cause I live in Canada. I would go with the LWRC but they are few and far between in Canada.

·
Registered
22,398 Posts
I'd second the LWRC recommendation....I have two: 6.8 and 5.56 in 10.5" bbls.

Both are flawless in operation. My 6.8 is my favorite gun (at least until my XCR shows up) ;)

The 6.8:

The 5.56:

Sean

G

·
dude it kinda suck for you, but some of the best M-16 style weapons ever made were made in Canada. the demaico c7 was every bit the equal of colt before they got bought out.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
LWRC all the way.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't get a sbr LWRC due to US export restrictions. As well I haven't seen a single LWRC ever in Canada. If I could get one I would but I seriously doubt I will ever find one. Unless I want to spend an additional 900 bucks to import one but then I would have to get a short barrel for after it got here because no exporting of short barrels.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Smitty, I know you have some fine gunsmiths in Canada. Build what you want. Buy a longer barrel and CUT it to your specs. I would go with the piston build (Adams?) as short barreled ARs have issues with reliability. Work your laws in your favor!!! :2cents: :duh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts