XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys,I ordered (20) 30 round C-products Stainless steel magazines with orange followers and stainless steel springs 2 days after the election.After several phone calls and being told several times "a few more weeks" they finally figured out they somehow botched my order and had to retake the CC number and my order.They did not make me go to the back of the line however,and they sent them right out,not bad considering they were almost two months late from the original promise date :mad:.
Ok heres the deal,I just got them yesterday,and they have the wrong followers(not a huge deal)and the wrong springs(again not huge but adding up)which were chrome silicon,AND three or four of them were scratched!! Two were minor the other two looked like they had been used several times in a tight fitting magwell and it had rubbed the black mar-lube or whatever the hell they call it off.It also has a slight ding/dent on the side near the catch hole.They all came in separately sealed bags,except the badly scratched one which wasn't sealed.
Ok I don't need to send them all back,but I'm not happy about getting everything wrong and damaged goods.What would you do? I've thought about calling and asking for one replacement magazine and all new followers,not only because I had to wait so long,but also because they got it wrong and shipped damaged product.They did not charge me for shipping since the delay was obviously their fault.So,what do you think?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Re: Opinions please:C-products magazines/problems and finish on SS

Just my :2cents:

Me. If they work keep them. I can live with scratches. But yeah.. I would call and ask about the one mag and all new orange followers. I don't think that is too much to ask. I would ask them for all new orange followers and offer to send back the followers you do have with the one mag.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The finish isn't a terrible issue with me,especially since they are stainless steel,I know they're not going to rust.It's just the idea that they would ship them in that condition,not to mention the wrong followers.I'm sure it's due to the mad "Obamamania" rush to get stuff shipped .I'm sure they're slammed for several months worth of backorders already.
On a side note the magazines seem very well made.They are noticeably stiffer or stronger feeling than aluminum mags.The anti-tilt followers work well too.The finish is a little glossy for my taste,a little more matte would be better,the issue with he scratches brings about doubts about how well this will hold up to any kind of rough treatment.Alumi-hyde to the rescue!!

·
Registered
268 Posts

Do they offer different colored followers just for variety, or is there some other significance to the color?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts

Either the mags work or they dont. Everything else is B.S.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Do they offer different colored followers just for variety, or is there some other significance to the color?
Variety I suppose.I just thought the orange follower would look cool with the black magazine :D
Either the mags work or they don't. Everything else is B.S.
VB I'm sure you wouldn't be happy if you ordered a new car from a dealer and it came all scratched and dinged,I know this is a much smaller scale,but that's not the point,if I wanted to buy something that looked used I would have bought something that WAS used.It may be bullshit for function,but I want to be the one who put those dings and scratches on them.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts

Variety I suppose.I just thought the orange follower would look cool with the black magazine :D
Either the mags work or they don't. Everything else is B.S.
VB I'm sure you wouldn't be happy if you ordered a new car from a dealer and it came all scratched and dinged,I know this is a much smaller scale,but that's not the point,if I wanted to buy something that looked used I would have bought something that WAS used.It may be bullshit for function,but I want to be the one who put those dings and scratches on them.
I buy loose packed mags usually and there are almost always rub marks from mag bodies touching during transport. I am anal about the way my guns look when I buy em, but mags, not so much. Not knocking you. There is nothing wrong with having standards when your dollars are on the line.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If these were mil-surp or used mags it wouldn't be an issue,it's not even a big deal really still because I have no problem refinishing them(except for the fact they are new) and I don't do a bad job of it.It was just the idea that they let them go like that,and considering they were in separate baggies,you wouldn't think they could've got banged around too much to get THAT scratched.It was only one that was really bad,but it was this and the fact they got other things(followers,spring type) wrong on the order as well.None of them being a singularly large issue,but together kind of grinds my arse a little.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
OK someone please explain to me the difference between the orange followers and the gray followers? Other than the color, is there a difference in design and functionality? Is one better than the other? :-\

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I would call Larry at C Products and talk to him. He is a standup guy and will make things right.

There is no difference in the followers. Some people get orange for training mags and grey for non-training mags.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have C-Products aluminum 30 rd mags with both orange & gray followers. Also NHMTG mags with green. The only steel are my Imperial Defence Services (British) with green followers. Out of all of them, the [glow=orange,2,300]orange[/glow] is the easiest to see with the XCR. I am thinking about changing all of my followers to orange.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If it was me I would be thinking they believe I'm some kind of chump. That I would accept some of their sub-standard products or something besides what I ordered. But thats just me.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I decided it wasn't worth the hassle to send em back so here's what I did.I decided to try the Alumi-hyde on a few.I've used this before on several types of magazines always with good success.So I degrease them and decide I should rough them up a little so the finish will adhere better.Well I didn't have to apply mush elbow grease at all with 220 paper and the factory finish just basically didn't fair to well,keep in mind my intention wasn't to remove it.It makes me seriously question it's durability.Yea I know it's sandpaper,but damn this came off way to easy.
So I heated the can with a hairdryer to warm to contents,so that it sprays better,and I used a propane torch to warm the magazine bodies.I didn't cook them,just made them pretty warm.The idea is too help speed the cure of the Alumi-hyde.You can see it drying seconds after contact.After applying the finish I give a little time on low heat in the oven,225 degrees for 30 minutes.I used flat black.When I feel like it I'll get some pics if anyone's interested.I think it's pretty screwed up that I can apply a more durable finish in my basement than the factory did.Maybe they just didn't give them time to cure before they shipped who knows.
I may call and ask for my orange followers,not because it's that important but because it's what they were supposed to have.

·
Registered
22,165 Posts
Frank DeSomma and I had the same discussion at POF about the new finish on the CProducts .308 mags.

The old parkerized looking ones held up great so far for me....the beautiful-when-new painted black just flakes off after a few times in the mag well.

I agree.....their finish sucks.

Sean

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well I decided it wasn't worth the hassle to send em back so here's what I did.I decided to try the Alumi-hyde on a few.I've used this before on several types of magazines always with good success.So I degrease them and decide I should rough them up a little so the finish will adhere better.Well I didn't have to apply mush elbow grease at all with 220 paper and the factory finish just basically didn't fair to well,keep in mind my intention wasn't to remove it.It makes me seriously question it's durability.Yea I know it's sandpaper,but damn this came off way to easy.
So I heated the can with a hairdryer to warm to contents,so that it sprays better,and I used a propane torch to warm the magazine bodies.I didn't cook them,just made them pretty warm.The idea is too help speed the cure of the Alumi-hyde.You can see it drying seconds after contact.After applying the finish I give a little time on low heat in the oven,225 degrees for 30 minutes.I used flat black.When I feel like it I'll get some pics if anyone's interested.I think it's pretty screwed up that I can apply a more durable finish in my basement than the factory did.Maybe they just didn't give them time to cure before they shipped who knows.
I may call and ask for my orange followers,not because it's that important but because it's what they were supposed to have.
Yeah I would like to see some pics. Another question, what did you put the mags on when they were in the oven? (i.e. cookie sheet, foil)

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I used an airbake cookie sheet.Nothing special just what was handy.The mag on the right is a brand new just taken from the plastic C-mag.Those on the left are the new finish.The finish is extremlay flat when you it dries,I used to a little Teflon grease to make them not look so dry.It stays on them for a long time and it's not sticky or tacky after a day or so.It just makes them look a little better.They are eventually going to get oil on them anyway so instead of looking splotchy this eliminates that too.

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
Wow!! Nice job. I will have to try that.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks,I much prefer the matte finish to the semi-gloss anyway.I know this finish is tougher then the factory too,If you screw up this stuff is a bastard to get off.You need that nasty epoxy removing stuff that eats body parts...lol.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Have thought about or tried changing colors? Like going from black to tan for example.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts