XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See photos.

Purchased in 2013, lightly used until recently. Less than 5k rounds total.

Noticed it was ejecting rounds into the stratosphere - gas setting was on 1 or 2. Had fatal stoppage couldn't manipulate action. Took it apart and this is what was inside.
Operating rod snapped completely in half, obvious damage to the gas tube

I would look for replacement parts but obviously my trust in this platform is now zero.

How common is this? I saw at least one or two other threads with similar problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
That's impressive. Looks like an earlier welded rod, pretty sure the other oprods which had problems were from a similar production era. The newer rods are a bit different.

I'd get ahold of the RA tech email with some pics and go from there.

·
Registered
155 Posts
In my research on the rifle, I haven't heard of problems like this or any other kinds of catastrophic failures before. Like roflcopters said, it looks like an older style oprod that has been welded and spot welded, since mine doesn't look welded like that (the current ones are cleaner and one piece, they look forged+milled). I'm no expert but that looks like metal fatigue on that extruded steel tube they used for the oprod. Maybe there was a twisting motion going on the rod that made it fail at the weakest point? When the ejected brass was shooting into the stratosphere, it was probably the point where the oprod snapped and didn't retract far enough back, so more gas was venting out of the chamber rather than the gas tube. I'd make sure the space where the gas piston actuates in the upper is clear and concentric.

I'd make a warranty claim with RA and wait for them to get you a new oprod, if I were you. I would ask you to be patient and give the rifle another chance, this looks like a freak accident.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Like Rofl said and you found, there have been some other failures like that.
Listen to the old blood around here. I never knew that about the old parts. There have been about 3 revisions on just about every thing on this rifle over the years; yours looks like a type 1 oprod? Try to get the newest gen stuff and carry on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Listen to the old blood around here. I never knew that about the old parts. There have been about 3 revisions on just about every thing on this rifle over the years; yours looks like a type 1 oprod? Try to get the newest gen stuff and carry on.
Can't, these are banned in Canada now. Catastrophic failures of this magnitude are just uh... yeah, no thanks.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Can't, these are banned in Canada now. Catastrophic failures of this magnitude are just uh... yeah, no thanks.

If you've made up your mind cool, we get it....but Rofl is right...this isn't a big deal. No one was hurt, still got all your fingers and nothing serialized was effected. For every one of these old oprods that blew up, there's thousands that didn't.....just some perspective. Something else to think about, once you get the upgraded oprod you've got a bomb proof rifle....and that's something every one in canuckistan is gonna wish they had soon.

Either way, good luck with everything.

Reactions: Chowwow

·
Registered
41 Posts
That op rod and gas tube isn't catastrofic, its just a couple parts that broke. And this isn't catastrofic either, its just an upper. The point is, the serialized part is still 100%. Ask RA to replace the parts that failed and move on. Everything breaks eventually if you give it enough time. Everything.

On a magnitude scale you are a 1 compared to this 5.

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Automotive tire Shotgun

·
Registered
121 Posts
Also, after you source these components you might consider the "barrel straightening" procedure where you loosen the gas block and allow the block/tube/oprod to relax together. I've noticed a little better accuracy after doing it to all of my rifles. Probably something to do with harmonics.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Like everyone else just said, these are just parts not firearms. See if Robinson arms can send you parts your way and listen to what they have to say.

Do not take anything I say the wrong way or as any indication of arrogance, I only offer this as perspective. Considering that the receivers were intact, no explosion or shrapnel was launched your way, that the rifle was still working with the broken oprod and likely broke before you noticed anything, and said broken parts remained inside of the gun, indicates to me that the gun is "fail-safe" and not "catastrophically failed". With these kinds of things, you have to consider the design and circumstances of the firearm. The fact is that the XCR upper is made of 7075 aluminum alloy in a more compact space at a thickness at least twice that of the Colt AR that Sheff pictured that appears to have suffered an out of battery detonation; very few rifles can make the same claim.

Not to be pedantic, but here is what a lot of CZ scorpion Evo users are waking up to:

I don't have any numbers but there are growing complaints that the Scorpion is susceptible to OOB detonations around reddit and Youtube. The most compelling theory is that the disconnector is off-timed and that it's letting people pull the trigger before the case is in battery. Personally, I also see the fact that the receiver is polymer and that the bolt rides on a spring-loaded guide rod as contributing factors to OOB.

This also reminds me of the ongoing case where a former sheriff got a DP-12 and is now suing everyone involved with the sale and operation of the gun after it seemed to explode on him. He got shrap directed at his body when he was test firing it, and while I do agree scrap would hit him that way, I don't understand how there would be an OOB based on what I know about the DP-12's design. There is a lot of steel in the bolt to close off the chamber and the slide closes tightly. It seems the Plaintiff doesn't really know either, as he sued not only the DP-12's manufacturer but Federal ammunition and the guns store he got the gun from, and has made demands for the companies to reveal trade secrets and design details to determine how any of them could fail. Considering that no independent examination of the offending shotgun has been made yet, no one can be really sure, but I somehow doubt Federal ammo or the gun maker had anything to do with it.

Here's a video on Forgotten Weapons to give you a primer on how dangerous guns can be to the user and what designs are made to make them safer:

To be frank, all guns can be dangerous and we are taking our lives into our own hands when we use them. With guns we are using controlled explosions to direct small metal objects at targets at high speeds. We take them for granted when they work for hundreds or thousands of rounds with no incident. If you are really spooked by the fact that firearm parts can break down during operation, it might be time to find another hobby or tool that doesn't rely on controlled explosions.

·
Registered
22,532 Posts
Like Rofl said and you found, there have been some other failures like that. Latest op rods are one piece foot and tube. Haven't seen one of those break yet.
^This. I've never broken the welded style....but it can happen. There's a stress riser where the two parts meet....which is why there's now a radius.

Reactions: TexasChris

·
Registered
22,532 Posts
You can't even order parts? Oh...that's right. All semi autos were banned. How'd you even manage to legally shoot this to break it since the ban went into effect like early last year?

Reactions: Flskunkape

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nevermind how you were able shoot your XCR in such a legal environment (I presume it was the call of freedom that needed to be answered), I was not fully informed about Canadian gun law (still not even now), but I now understand that Canadians aren't able to import new parts for firearms but they can buy them from stores or individuals domestically (except receivers). Having access to a firearm that would otherwise be banned in Canada seems like an asset if you ask me (I envy the dudes who owned automatic weapons before the 1986 ban in the US) so I would try to keep it running as long as I could if I were you. However, if you are dead set on getting rid of a now-priceless semi-automatic rifle in your country, you can have a gun store legally export your rifle out of the country - no guarantees how much you'll get back for that.

I understand if it sounds like you are hearing the opinions of XCR fanboys, so I would go to the AR-15 forum at ar15.com and ask for a second opinion there. They are not fanboys of any system there but I bet they'll tell you what a few of us have been saying.

·
Registered
22,532 Posts
Nevermind how you were able shoot your XCR in such a legal environment (I presume it was the call of freedom that needed to be answered), I was not fully informed about Canadian gun law (still not even now), but I now understand that Canadians aren't able to import new parts for firearms but they can buy them from stores or individuals domestically (except receivers). Having access to a firearm that would otherwise be banned in Canada seems like an asset if you ask me (I envy the dudes who owned automatic weapons before the 1986 ban in the US) so I would try to keep it running as long as I could if I were you. However, if you are dead set on getting rid of a now-priceless semi-automatic rifle in your country, you can have a gun store legally export your rifle out of the country - no guarantees how much you'll get back for that.

I understand if it sounds like you are hearing the opinions of XCR fanboys, so I would go to the AR-15 forum at ar15.com and ask for a second opinion there. They are not fanboys of any system there but I bet they'll tell you what a few of us have been saying.
Arfcom is full of fanboys.

I don't think you understand what the ban means in Canada. For your edification: The Terrible Trouble With Trudeau's Canadian Gun Ban and that was prior to Trudeau's latest election victory.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I shouldnt have read that article. Ruined my day for sure. Im afraid thats whats headed our way, and for the sake of my kids and everyone elses kids, we may have to physically fight to keep some of these rights. If i remember history class correctly that how we got to be so great right?? Im willing to do what it takes at this point in my life, but im not really looking forward to it if it comes to that. AND im hoping the citizens of the good ol US of A don't LAY DOWN like these other countries have done!! If everyone would just remember that power is held by the majority, and that majority has the guns, its really no contest.... the unreasonable side will possibly need to be reminded of this in the near future. That "thing" that happened at the capitol was NOT an insurrection LMFAOROTG they have NO idea. But im hoping some good hearted and straight moral compass person has the fortitude to make some changes internally before it comes to "more than voting people out".

But everything i said is an absolute waist of time because look around, we all know everyone will just lay down and show their belly...... and we cant win with a few thousand people scattered across the country.

·
Registered
22,532 Posts
I shouldnt have read that article. Ruined my day for sure. Im afraid thats whats headed our way, and for the sake of my kids and everyone elses kids, we may have to physically fight to keep some of these rights. If i remember history class correctly that how we got to be so great right?? Im willing to do what it takes at this point in my life, but im not really looking forward to it if it comes to that. AND im hoping the citizens of the good ol US of A don't LAY DOWN like these other countries have done!! If everyone would just remember that power is held by the majority, and that majority has the guns, its really no contest.... the unreasonable side will possibly need to be reminded of this in the near future. That "thing" that happened at the capitol was NOT an insurrection LMFAOROTG they have NO idea. But im hoping some good hearted and straight moral compass person has the fortitude to make some changes internally before it comes to "more than voting people out".

But everything i said is an absolute waist of time because look around, we all know everyone will just lay down and show their belly...... and we cant win with a few thousand people scattered across the country.
The estimate is that only 3% of the population actively fought and took to arms on the side of the colonists during the Revolutionary War. I think that's probably a good number to go with today....and amounts to roughly 9M people. The bigger problem is that without a moral compass and without an understanding of founding principles (which those on the right and left completely lack) you will wind up with anarchy followed quickly by an even more tyrannical regime that will promise order. In short, we are not prepared in the slightest to restore the Constitution to its proper place, whittle down law to only those that actually violate another's natural, negative rights (most people don't even know the difference between a positive or negative right anyway), and institute rule of law applicable to all, equally. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

The mental/spiritual preparation for the Revolution literally took decades....starting in the 1760s or earlier and much of it was preached from the pulpit. The physical part was easily 5 years when one looks at the instigation particularly in Boston via Sam Adams and the Sons of Liberty.

I fear we are behind the curve in both aspects and may not be able to make up the time/distance lost as things have so greatly accelerated globally in the last 1.5 years.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts