XCR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an XCR-L a few weeks ago, and i'm wondering what kind of sights would suit my rifle the best.
Does anyone who has Optics/Scope etc. on their XCR have some ideas?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I just bought an XCR-L a few weeks ago, and i'm wondering what kind of sights would suit my rifle the best.
Does anyone who has Optics/Scope etc. on their XCR have some ideas?
I run an eotech with a 3x flip to side magnifier I have tried scopes but always go back to the eotech

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Very subjective question. I would suggest looking through the XCR pictures thread and take a peek into some of the threads in the Scopes and Sights board. Personally I tend to want to go lighter and less expensive these days than I did when I first got my XCR. There are a Lot more choices out there than even 2 years ago. Also consider what you intend to use the optics for, hunting, target, practical matches, on the job and so on.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
What do you plan to use it for?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I run a Millet DMS 1-4X and love the thing, I use this scope on several rifles. The wife runs an Eotech with a 3x magnifier from Vortex and it is a pretty sweet set up. It is hard to beat the price and quality of the Millet at about $210. I also have an leupold ar mk1.5-4x and I don't like it half as much as my Millet. I also have a Valdada fixed 4x with a BDC and that is a sweet scope with superb glass.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought an ACOG TA-31. I liked the fiber optics, and the glass is amazing, however, if your eyes are aging like mine, the reticle can be a little challenging for quick aquisition.
kree

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I run an eotech with a 3x flip to side magnifier I have tried scopes but always go back to the eotech
I've been looking at exactly that type actually. Eotech flip to side, just for the versatility and ease of 25-50yds to 100-500yds in a few seconds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very subjective question. I would suggest looking through the XCR pictures thread and take a peek into some of the threads in the Scopes and Sights board. Personally I tend to want to go lighter and less expensive these days than I did when I first got my XCR. There are a Lot more choices out there than even 2 years ago. Also consider what you intend to use the optics for, hunting, target, practical matches, on the job and so on.
I'll definitely take a look at some pics on here and see what i like. Im leaning towards the Eotech or ACOG, but yeah they're a pretty large investment. Im sure there are some other good, less expensive options too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I run a Millet DMS 1-4X and love the thing, I use this scope on several rifles. The wife runs an Eotech with a 3x magnifier from Vortex and it is a pretty sweet set up. It is hard to beat the price and quality of the Millet at about $210. I also have an leupold ar mk1.5-4x and I don't like it half as much as my Millet. I also have a Valdada fixed 4x with a BDC and that is a sweet scope with superb glass.
Never heard of "Millet" I'll take a look at them. Im sure its much less expensive than a vortex magnifier and an Eotech :p I'd have to save up for months to think about getting an Eotech.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought an ACOG TA-31. I liked the fiber optics, and the glass is amazing, however, if your eyes are aging like mine, the reticle can be a little challenging for quick aquisition.
kree
I've been looking at the differences between ACOG's and Eotech's and the fibre optic is an advantage because it doesn't need batteries, but is it harder to quickly acquire than an Eotech?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree, very subjective question. I've ran both the Aimpoint Comp M4 and the PRO on my XCR-L. I've kept the PRO. Great optic out of the box, comes with lens caps (rear clear for expedient use,) mounting base and a 3 year battery life. It's always ready if you need it. The rubber cover for the M2 and M3 fit it too. Can be found for under $400 quite often online.

·
Registered
38 Posts
they are two different animals. The ACOG has a BDC (bullet drop compensator) thats calibrated out to 800 yards. Also, once you understand how the size of the chevron helps determine range (ie. bottom of chevron represents approx. 19 inches accross at 300 meters) ( the width of an average mans shoulders) an experienced user could certainly become very quick at aquisition. My observation was simply based on my poor eyesight in general, and the fact that the retical is more subtle than a 4 MOA red dot.
kree

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Optics are very personal.

I don't do too much long range shooting, so I didn't feel the need for a scope. I tried my buddy's Aimpoint, but my cross dominant eye made the dot more of a slightly skewed dash than a dot. A friend of his was nice enough to release the QD on his EOTech and put it on my XCR. My eye picked up the circle and dot much better than the Aimpoint. So I bought EOTech. I do want a G33 magnifier at some point, but I'm able to get hits at 200 yards in 3-gun without magnification, so it's kinda low on my priority list. It sure would make it easier, but I'm doing okay without it. Close in, I can use the bottom of the ring for my hold-over.

I'm also worried about eye relief. I have a rough time getting a proper field of view with scopes.

I've never had the opportunity to use a Jesus scope (ACOG), so I can't comment there. If anyone wants to send me one to remedy this terrible situation, PM me! ;)

Anyway, try out as many as you can. Optics can be an expensive investment, so you want to get what works best for you.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I'm also worried about eye relief. I have a rough time getting a proper field of view with scopes.
Spend the money on a Vortex Razor 1-6, it's worth the money and you won't believe the eye relief. I picked up a SWFA 1-4 prior and sent it back because I was disapointed in too many things with it for the money spent, and figured if I was going to spend that kind of money, might as well spend a little more with all the good reviews I've read on the Vortex. Most I've ever spent on glass and not disappointed.

·
Registered
322 Posts
1. Iron sights.

2. Original M68 Aimpoint on a GGG cantilever mount so that it co-witnesses perfectly with the irons. (The M68 is soon to be replaced with an Aimpoint PRO - 2 MOA dot versus 4 MOA and a much longer battery run life.)

But my rifle is set up for CQB purposes -

1 - 16 of 16 Posts