XCR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The most annoying thing (other than being charged and never getting the package) is when days after making your order you get an out of stock email. You'd think that most businesses have an inventory of their products and when someone places an online order the little 'in stock' value could just decrement by one and when it reaches zero the product is automatically listed out of stock.

This disconnect between true inventory and online inventory is my biggest pet peeve about online shopping. It has happened to me too many times to count.

Anyways, that's my rant for today.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Lex,

I'm sorry to hear that other people have experienced this too.

The whole point of shopping online is to avoid these issues. I mean, I've basically resorted to calling every time I order online and checking on the availability. Unless a website specifically states that they are in stock (or even better, give you a quantity remaining), I will only trust someone on the other end.

Here's a related pet peeve that used to happen before I started calling: You order several things, some of them are in stock and one or two aren't. Instead of shipping the ones in stock and waiting to send the rest, they stop your whole shipment. I actually ordered a grip, stock, and gas tube from a well-known company. I called a week or two later after not receiving a tracking number. They were like, "Oh, we're out of gas tubes, we should get some in a couple/few weeks. We'll ship everything then." I was like, "Well, since I ordered about $180 worth of other merchandise, do you think I could see that sometime before next month?" (I said it much nicer). She agreed to ship the stuff that was in stock. I firmly believe that if they have to pay two shipping costs (one at their own expense), it may motivate them to upgrade their online shopping cart technology.

However, I ended up buying a gas tube from a local shop because I didn't want to wait to put it on my XCR. I just called and cancelled the tube. They were very nice, but that was not the issue.

So now, except for a few specific websites that I know keep accurate inventories, I save myself the trouble and call ahead. Then I usually end up placing the order online anyway.

Ahhhh! Feels good to rant every once in a while.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So now, except for a few specific websites that I know keep accurate inventories, I save myself the trouble and call ahead.
Can you list some of the websites you've never had problems with and felt confident they were accurate in saying that the item was in stock?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Amazingly, thats never been a problem for me, and I do probably 70%+ of all my shopping, for anything, online...

Places I order from include, but are certainly not limited to, Rainier, Midway, Ammotogo, Aimsurplus, BravocompanyUSA, CTD... the list would go on and on.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I have found that Midway is great about listing stock...others really seem to depend.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Aziator,

Midway for sure. They also ship very fast.

Let me think of some more.

I'll get back to you later today.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
My take is simple. If the retailer treats me badly or doesn't want my business I go elsewhere. There are some suppliers I have never gone back to and probably never will. The excuse that they are a small company is not really valid because small companies are usually more able to be flexible as they don't have layers of corporate management to work within. that said small companies do also have resource limits, particularly if they try to expand beuond their capabilities.

Since leaving the military I've worked in IT, and there is really no reason to have a disconnect between stock shown on the WEB, and actual inventory. For a retailer to take you money prior to shipment is inexcusable. Report them to VISA or AMEX. I've often found that one of these agencies calling a retailer to find out why they have charged a card for an item not in stock usually makes the retailer very anxious to help you out. The reason is because it is fraudulent conduct.

Midway is definitely one of the better retailers as are Natchez.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Midway is supper fast, I think they have my order boxed & ready before I order it!
I know for a fact they do for me, I think they know when I get paid and box up a few items from my wishlist every week or so...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
OPTICS PLANET - is one that doesn't do well with inventory levels for online shopping.

I ordered new foam for my Pelican 1720, confirmed it was IN STOCK - then received an e-mail almost a week later telling me it was on backorder and that my credit card wouldn't be charged. The problem is that I didn't use a credit card - I used PAYPAL and they took the $$ immediately. OK, no problem... but it has now been THREE WEEKS and still no foam.

I chose Optics Planet because their price was a few dollars less and they offered FREE shipping. The bottom line price was nearly $20 cheaper overall, but at this point I'd rather pay the $20 and get what I want - when I want it.

This is the SECOND time they've done this to me, and I will be looking elsewhere when comparison shopping.

Ammoman is accurate for online ammunition orders, as is The Armory. I further agree that Midway is good with their inventory accuracy, as well as Botach Tactical.

I'll post others that are poor, as I can recall them...

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OPTICS PLANET - is one that doesn't do well with inventory levels for online shopping.
Ironically I started this thread because of my recent order with Optics Planet (also known as tactical-store.com, i didn't know they were the same store until i got an email regarding my order from tactica-store.com with a Optics Planet sig in the email.)

Anyways, I have ordered from them before and when they have the items in stock they definitely ship quickly but when it's out of stock you just gotta wait and wait and wait...

I think this is my last order there and I'm probably going to cancel it.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Usually, I don't like to name names...

However, since it's already been named... Optics Planet is the website that started me on my call-before-I-order SOP. They are great when they have what you need, but sometimes they have stuff on their site that I know doesn't even exist on the market yet (i.e. when I was looking into the Leupold Prismatic red dot scope and nobody else had it listed as in stock... because it hadn't been released yet).

I've had problems with a couple others too.

HOWEVER, here is a list of some of the companies that have IMPRESSED me: (* indicate companies that I've used fairly regularly).

MidwayUSA*
Cheaper than Dirt*
Top Gun Supply
Larue* (I don't think they are ever out of stock of anything, plus they always send extras like 'Dillo bottle openers and hats)
5.11 Tactical
Cabelas
davescatalog.com (small but good)
511tacticaloutdoors.com (often have some extra goodies)
Dynamic Armament*
Ergo

And of course, Robarms*!!

Those are the ones I've used in the past year or so that I saw in my records. There are a couple that have not been as good, but I don't want to write the names. However, if you're really concerned, I'll answer them via email.

Nick

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Completely not gun related but I received a refund and an email today for an item I ordered a week ago. The vendor said that it was backordered until the end of January and he would contact me when they came in to see if I still needed them. It is refreshing to do buisness with someone like that.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
It is now SEVEN WEEKS and STILL NO DELIVERY from OPTICS PLANET.

All I wanted was new foam for my Pelican 1720...

How difficult is that - and OMG is there now a shortage of FOAM?

Must be the price of crude oil that is making FOAM scarce!

Just like .223 WOLF ammo. What in the HELL does the war have to do with RUSSIAN STEEL CASED AMMO increasing in price by 33% ???

Last year, you could walk into Gander Mountain and buy a case of 1000 rounds for $169.00

Now, that same case (online / delivered - because the local Gander Mtn a$$holes will only sell you 50 boxes at the single box price) costs $249.00

What is this world coming to???

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'll give it a try, thanks. How much was yours - to include shipping? Factory Pelican foam through OP was under $50.

Appreciate the info!

·
Registered
491 Posts
It's been too long, I don't remember other than it was cheaper than ordering directly from Pelican. Plus you can custom order any thickness, density, and shape. I bought three sets of replacement foam to have spares. Their website tells you the prices after you specify the shape and type of foam you want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts