XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember a picture of your reloading bench from a thread about reloading benches a while back. I was wondering if you could repost those pics? If I remember correctly, it was just about exactly what I had in mind as ideal for me when the time comes. Can you tell me where you got it? Thanks,

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
My reloading is still a work in progress. Not as nice as MickyC's or AR15barrels.

I got a Hornady LNL for a progressive press, and a Lee Classic for single stage to swage brass, or to re-size once fired milsurp stuff, which can be really tough the first time. I got a couple of tumblers, one I bought from Harbor Frieght when it was on sale. Having 2 tumblers is nice, but I only got it because it was on sale for $40 and figured WTH, I got $40 in my pocket right now, I guess I just won't eat out for lunch this week :) I need to get that Dillon Swager though, it is $100 (compared to the $25 RCBS unit) but will be well worth it!

Tumbling Area

My case prep area. I really need a Giraud Trimmer bad and will be one purchase in 2009 I will most definitely be getting. Right now I am just using a drill, Lee ball cutter, Lee chamfer, deburring tool, and steel wool (extra shininess). I can do about 2-3 cases per minute. I have seen the Giraud online where you can do 10 a minute (with deburring, no steel wool though)! My trimming setup only cost about $15 (not counting the drill), the Giraud will be about $400 and I believe it will be well worth it.

Another view of the presses

Here I am re-sizing once fired 7.62 NATO MG brass I got from FALfiles. This stuff was really tough the first time, had to use extra lube.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Giraud = Awesome!

If you're gonna do an appreciable amount wear some work gloves though.

And if you're gonna do anything more than an appreciable amount the Dillon 1200 case trimmer isn't so bad either. It FL sizes but won't chamfer/deburr though. I don't mind doing that in front of the TV or out on the porch if the weather is nice.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, yes, the bench itself is what I am looking at. Is that a piece of real hardwood? Did you purchase that, or make it yourself? Thanks,

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Ah, yes, the bench itself is what I am looking at. Is that a piece of real hardwood? Did you purchase that, or make it yourself? Thanks,
bench is very nice! 8 ft long. Got it from Costco for $200.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Cartmann- I have one of those benches still in the box new for over a year now. Question, what kind of time commitment are we talking about with this reloading? How many rounds per day? And any luck with ammo for your SASS?

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Cartmann- I have one of those benches still in the box new for over a year now. Question, what kind of time commitment are we talking about with this reloading? How many rounds per day? And any luck with ammo for your SASS?
haha i don't go out of my way to reload, only do it when ever i get the chance. trim brass in front of the tv, tumble when i have free time, and re-size really bad malformed milsurp brass when I am bored.

yes I have found ammo for my SASS! 2.80 OAL, 43.5 gr Varget, CCI 200 primers, 168gr SMK and LC brass. Sub MOA all day long.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Good info. That's the way I'd reload if I ever started. I don't have time to dedicate to it in mass quantities.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cartmann, one more question. How is the stability of that bench? Anything would be better than the Black and Decker Workmate that my press is currently bolted to, I am sure, but I don't see any obvious stabilizing bars or anything under that bench? It isn't bolted to the floor or anything, is it?

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
It is pretty heavy and about as stable for a home bench you are going to get. I was going to bolt it to the studs of the wall for extra stability but found I did not need to.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I plan to get the Dillon swager one day... just don't have the bench space for it currently. My little workmate is packed with just a press and case trimmer.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I use the Dillon swager. It's mounted to a wooden plank when I then clamp to a table and sit in front of the TV and just go thorugh the cases on an evening. The best thing is you only have to do it once per case so most of the time it will be in storage.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went by Costco today, and they had the floor model there, but were out of stock; said to check back in 1-2 weeks.

It looks like it will work pretty well; my one worry is that the placement of the rear screw holes for my press might overlap the metal support bar underneath the wooden top. If so I imagine I can probably work around that by drilling out some relief on the metal bar. It does appear to be exactly the kind of bench I've been envisioning for a while.

·
Registered
327 Posts

Cartmann Where can get some of these Terrorist targets at???

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Got them from a buddy, they basically were just posters that we glue'd onto cardboard. I'll ping him to see where he got them.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Got them from a buddy, they basically were just posters that we glue'd onto cardboard. I'll ping him to see where he got them.
Thanks Cartmann

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Duke on ebrsopmods.com sells those targets. I'll try to give him a call later today to see if he has any more for sale.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts