XCR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the PDW right around the corner and talk of an XCR pistol on the horizon as well, what about a folding charging handle? I realize you might lose forward assist, but you'd make the PDW a slimmer package, which is kind-of the purpose in this weapon class, right?.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Folding like G3/PTR91? seems practical, I see enough AR's w/o forward assists (DPMS) to see that it isn't a big issue to lose. I'd be game.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
L1A1 style is really neat, strong and easy to deploy.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Those seem like pretty good ideas. I also don't see any reason you'd have to lose the forward assist function since you just push in on the handle to use that ability.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Those seem like pretty good ideas. I also don't see any reason you'd have to lose the forward assist function since you just push in on the handle to use that ability.
You push in and forward, thus the forward assist. Pushing it in engages the bolt (or carrier), since it's non-reciprocating, then you can use the charging handle to try and seat the bolt.

Hard to push forward on a handle that folds in that direction.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
571 Posts
Good point. I've never had to use forward assist, so I'm not familiar with how much force may be required. If it's more than you could reasonably exert on the smaller surface of the folded handle then it's a no-go.

Small enough of a loss I'd guess, since many people don't use forward assist and others preach against using it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I had a folding handle on my FAL and it was no slower to use than the fixed, but dug into my back a lot less when slung behind.

If RA makes a folding handle, I would upgrade to them on both of my XCRs.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
You push in and forward, thus the forward assist. Pushing it in engages the bolt (or carrier), since it's non-reciprocating, then you can use the charging handle to try and seat the bolt.

Hard to push forward on a handle that folds in that direction.
The push in prevents the handle from folding? That might be a doable design.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts