5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Along the lines of permanent stimulus, here's a terrifying graph:

How long until we see cash origami?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
In many ways I think that the mask issue is political theater--it's being used to distract people from some fairly calamitous things going on with the economy. So many people are focused on things like masks and vaccines, when lockdowns and massive increases to the money supply are going on, and are so much more damaging.

I feel like the GOP has abandoned the fiscal conservatism of the tea party movement and gone in for the full blown populism of Trump Money checks.

I don't know about you guys but I am figuratively running away from cash as fast as I can at this point.

·
Registered
22,125 Posts
Sean, are you looking at the CNBC article or the Bazant/Bush article?

Unfortunately, this whole situation is basically a data apocalypse, so I'm not convinced I'd trust anyone's data completely.

For example, you could argue that the Florida experience of low transmission was caused by the lack of lockdown, which let people get out in the sun and wind (the best environment for preventing transmission). And, that the California experience was probably the result of lockdowns (closing outdoor spaces--WTaF?) forcing people into indoor (high transmission) environments.

I'm really not convinced we'll ever have the data to know for sure. There are just too many vested interests looking to protect their own power in this situation.

FWIW, there are several good studies on mask use in the pre-covid environment cited in the (copious) references.

I'm looking at the one linked at the bottom of your post.

Yes, there are a LOT of studies from the 1950s onward showing surgical masks didn't decrease infection in patients as well as being "theater" which made patients feel more at ease. The biggest thing is I haven't found a single RCT that substantiates the role the CDC told us that cloth and surgical masks could fill and (their word) they "hoped" it would help slow the spread. IMO, hope is not a strategy. All that said, I'm not anti-mask. If someone wants to wear one, that's fine with me. I wear one out of respect for the people who are terrified of this disease, but I wear it with the full understanding it's not protecting me or them with any sort of verifiable randomly controlled trial.

·
Registered
22,125 Posts
....to pick a nit....Loon stated as mandated.

Between putting the mask on, touching a bunch of door knobs and other stuff, taking the mask off, not sterilizing it....leaving them in vehicles and in pockets....not washing them. Not washing hands before touching them...every single time....
Yep...Kabuki theater.

Reactions: Loonster

·
Registered
22,125 Posts
Along the lines of permanent stimulus, here's a terrifying graph:

How long until we see cash origami?

And we thought the Great Recession's printing presses were running wild. That graph is SHOCKING.

·
Registered
22,125 Posts
In many ways I think that the mask issue is political theater--it's being used to distract people from some fairly calamitous things going on with the economy. So many people are focused on things like masks and vaccines, when lockdowns and massive increases to the money supply are going on, and are so much more damaging.

I feel like the GOP has abandoned the fiscal conservatism of the tea party movement and gone in for the full blown populism of Trump Money checks.

I don't know about you guys but I am figuratively running away from cash as fast as I can at this point.
Hadn't read this before making 2 comments about it being theater. Excellent point.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I really don't think it's possible to do a truly scientific study on mask use in the current political environment. And I think that's a natural consequence of what's going on, either intentionally or unintentionally.

Regardless, my position on masks is identical to my position on vaccination, and can be boiled down to 'keep your laws off my body.' Individual choices, made by each individual, for each individual, make a lot more sense, and are a lot more effective, than centralized mandates.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts

This one thinks it's an exit scam from dollars to XRP.....you know it's divisible to 6 decimals? You know what it can be worth per unit and still be divisible to a cent? The government could be solvent overnight.....

Garlinghouse man.

Reactions: Sean K.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
And we thought the Great Recession's printing presses were running wild. That graph is SHOCKING.
Yes. And that's the Federal Reserve's own data, presented by the Federal Reserve. No way we can call that 'right wing conspiracists'.

·
Registered
705 Posts

On April 24, 2020, the Federal Reserve Board announced that Regulation D would no longer impose limits on the number of transactions or withdrawals permitted on savings deposit accounts. According to this ruling, if a bank suspends enforcement of the six-transfer limit on a savings deposit, the bank may report that account as a “transaction account” on its FR 2900 reports. However, the bank may instead, if it chooses, continue to report the account as a “savings deposit” (See Board of Governors FAQ #6). Since banks have been flush with excess reserves since 2008, reporting savings deposits as transaction balances incurs no cost. On the other hand, it’s not immediately clear what advantage there is from the bank’s perspective in relabeling savings accounts as transactions balances. In any case, it seems that the modification of Regulation D in late April has effectively rendered savings accounts almost indistinguishable from checking accounts from the perspective of depositors and banks. Accordingly, the composition of M2 between M1 and non-M1 components conveys little economic information.
To be fair, the Fed changed the meaning of savings accounts which changed the M1 graph...Not sure how much is an increased money supply.

Reactions: Sean K.

·
Registered
22,125 Posts

CDC admits: no RCTs support mask efficacy vs covid. none.
el gato malo18 hr ago39
this is the response to a FOIA request to the CDC asking for the randomized, controlled trials supporting mask use to stop covid.
“the CDC is not aware of any”
but here’s some experimental stuff we ginned up to try and make masks look like they block particles…
but these have severe problems are are easily debunked. these studies are like taking a convertible through a carwash with the top down and saying “yup, the windshield stopped the water!” (more HERE)
this was never plausible. masks leak like crazy, the virus is aerosol, the the virions are so small that using a mask to stop them is like using a chin link fence to keep out mosquitos.
it’s 100% junk science. and they just admitted that it’s all they have. yet they want you to mask up even if vaccinated?
based on what? there is not a shred of real clinical outcomes data with valid control groups to support this and reams to refute it including DANMASK and all the pre-2020 standing pandemic guidelines.
this is shameful. the CDC is committing fraud at this point, and they have to know it.

the studies they have foregrounded have been utter junk from day one. the first big one they trotted out was the mass general hospital study. this is a variety of study i came to call a sun dance back when gatos were still free to roam the broad savannahs of twitter.
you do a dance at 5 am then point to the ball of fire in the sky at noon and say you made it happen.
this is why studies need control groups. the mass general study had none.
the blue lines are from the “study.” the red bands and green demarcation were added by me. which do you think better capture the trend in the data? they are trying to use outliers to anchor a series, those outliers were WAY too fast to be efficacious in a disease with 5-7 day incubation, and the lines are arbitrary and drawn to deceive.

worse, the study is a sun dance. it had no control group, therefore it cannot tell efficacy from lucky (or cherrypicked) timing. when compared to the general population of massachusetts, who were not at the time, masked, it looked indistinguishable. cases and hospitalization peaked and dropped sharply right where the green line is on the graphic above. pushing this study this was medical malpractice.

chastened from getting caught sundancing, the CDC sought to move to a “controlled” study. they then published the now infamous “kansas counties” study comparing masked counties to unmasked. this one was an outright lie.
they cherry picked their timeframe to get the results they wanted. they began on a spike for masks and then ended on august 23, before covid even really hit kansas. this truncated series showed masks “dropping the rate of infection” but the full data series tells a very different tale. i inserted red lines to show where they ended the study. at the time it was published, ALL this data was available.

it stretches credulity to imagine that the authors were unaware of the later data (that was widely available). this was a willful misrepresentation and if it was not, it was stunning negligence. which one makes you want to trust them?
and why, if this data is so clear and the science so settled despite diverging from every claim made pre march 2020, i have long asked “why does the CDC keep publishing false studies?” boy, that FOIA response sure sheds come light on that.
they did this because it suited the narrative of the politicians who are their paymasters and the ecosystem of doctors and researchers who absolutely knew better all switched jerseys and pretended to have been playing for the other team all along.
he who pays the piper calls the tune and these agencies and researchers were depending, lock, stock, and microscope upon federal and health agency grants or were beholden to universities and medical boards that were.
inevitably, someone claims, “well, the science changed so we changed our minds!” but, as we saw above, this is clearly false. the CDC has told us it hasn’t. they have no solid research on this.
the science did not change, it was distorted like a funhouse mirror and made to serve the ends of propaganda. it was tailored to suit pre-existing needs and claims. fake science was ginned up not to convince anyone who knew better, but to justify adopting positions that contradicted the data.
Funhouse Mirror Canvas Prints | Fine Art America
why would the CDC lie and use adulterated data and bad methodology to “prove” efficacy if it has real data?
it wouldn’t.
why would they trot out studies so clearly baseless and dishonest that any first year data analyst would instantly see them for fraud?
because they were not aimed an analysts and scientists, they were aimed that the general public who would accept their provenance and authority and NOT look at the data.
they were to provide a pretext for the public health pipers to all change their tune at the rattle of a purse.
and it worked. the appeals to authority and endless repetition ingrained these false beliefs into society and have made it seem like we always knew this. history is being re-written right before your eyes with a rigor that would make orwell blanch.
but the facts are the facts, and i’ve tried to lay some out here as best i am able. the CDC has flat out told you that they do not have any. give the data a fair hearing and make up your own mind.

Reactions: themousethatroared

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)
To be fair, the Fed changed the meaning of savings accounts which changed the M1 graph...Not sure how much is an increased money supply.
Here's the M2 graph (which doesn't have the statistical distortion):

I've seen 'change in data method' used too many times to cover up real underlying changes. There is definitely some suspicious timing there. "Let's change the data set so that it's hard to see the changes we're making at the same time." The M2 graph paints a fuller picture, and still shows a steep increase in the money supply.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'm being cautious. I just paid off my mortgage. If I had more money lying around, I would buy some land and raise cattle.

Although the fed printed a bunch of money, the velocity is zero. We could just as easily wind up with deflation. It's Schrödinger's Money supply. We won't know which way its going until its too late.

“I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.”​
–Thomas Jefferson​

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 · (Edited)
I'm being cautious. I just paid off my mortgage.
There is no better investment than paying off debt. Not only does it have a guaranteed rate of return (equal to whatever your mortgage rate was), but the peace of mind is infinitely valuable. Debt is basically indentured servitude. Unfortunately, most of modern society runs on debt slavery.

Freedom may need arms to defend it, but without personal finance, it is stillborn.

Although the fed printed a bunch of money, the velocity is zero. We could just as easily wind up with deflation. It's Schrödinger's Money supply. We won't know which way its going until its too late.
I think the Fed's tools for adjusting money supply are too gross, and will be unable to respond to rapid changes in the velocity. Fundamentally, that's the reason for the boom/bust ("business") cycle of the modern economy. The Fed almost always overshoots the mark, and then struggles to catch up, overshooting (again) in the opposite direction.

“I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.”​
–Thomas Jefferson​
I recently read a book on this topic (restoring the right to issue money to the people, which I found very interesting, and highly recommend. There are free .pdf copies on the internet--the first one google finds is here:

There is a wiki summary here: The Denationalization of Money - Wikipedia

The author (who among other achievements, won the Nobel Prize for Economics two years before this work was published) argues for a myriad of competing, privately issued currencies so that competition can find the most stable, and so that people can move their money from one to another to seek the characteristics that are most important to them (and respond to mismanagement of one or the other).

·
Registered
22,125 Posts
“I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.”–Thomas Jefferson
JFYI on the Jefferson quote:

·
Registered
22,125 Posts
61 - 77 of 77 Posts