XCR Forum banner

would you rather have picatinny rails without the center groove?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might seem trivial,and for myself personally is just aesthetic,and as we all know that's subjective to the user.It has always been my understanding that true mil-spec picatinny rails don't have the center groove.I could be wrong,have been before and will be again I'm sure.Anyway just thought this was sort of interesting.Alex,if you would care to chime in on why you used this type vs the non-grooved,it would be insightfull and appreciated.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
This might seem trivial,and for myself personally is just aesthetic,and as we all know that's subjective to the user.It has always been my understanding that true mil-spec picatinny rails don't have the center groove.I could be wrong,have been before and will be again I'm sure.Anyway just thought this was sort of interesting.Alex,if you would care to chime in on why you used this type vs the non-grooved,it would be insightfull and appreciated.
You're correct. If you want to see true Milspec 1913 rails look under an AR15 carry handle.

The XCR features a weight savings canal down the middle of the rail. This is a common practice, and with the XCR this is certaintly appreciated or it could quite porky. You'll find similar weight savings canal on products by ARMS, SUREFIRE, YHM and many others.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I've yet to see a mount that doesn't work with the XCR's center cut lighter rail. Therefore I would rather have the lighter one.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I don't really care.

If it's there it requires more machine work and cost. Plus it's another thing to cause an issue. It does look nice but do you buy for looks of performance.

I do however find it more comfortable if you have to grip it without panels or other plastic things on there.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You bring up a point that I meant to mention.Machining cost and time and wear on tooling has to add to cost of manufacture.Plus the flat panels are more comfortable to grasp without rail covers.I guess maybe I prefere the flat rail because Thats they're what I'm used to.It funny how humans are creatures of habit and when we get "used" to seeing something a certain way,it doesn't look "right" any other way.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I have guns wth both and don't have a die-hard preference. The XCR needs them for the weight savings, every little ounce adds up. Some will say that mounts don't attach as well but I haven't had any problems, at least not walking around in the woods hunting Pig. I think it also gives it a different look. Not sure that machining would take much longer, just a few quick passes of the CNC and it would cut that groove out.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I like the center groove. I find it more comfortable to grip without covers this way. Everything I have mounted has stayed in place.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I prefer the ungrooved rails. There are numerous VFG's that will not mount to a grooved rail. FWIW, I have suggested the idea of making ungrooved uppers to Alex numerous times. He did not seem too receptive to the idea. Someone once asked Mark Larue if he would be interested in making an upper for the XCR but apparently the market is not there yet.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Ah yes, VFGs. Yes there are some of those that will not work with the XCR rail. I have a couple of KAC grips on ARs that would likely not mount to the XCR very well.

I choose the Bobro short grip for the XCR. It is an excellent quality VFG, with a very nice mounting interface. The pressure plate on the bottom that engages the rail is quite large compared to that on some other grips, and it engages plenty of rail surface on the XCR. It mounts very solidly. I can lift the whole rifle by the VFG, shake vigorously, and no movement whatsoever. I have done exactly that several times. I would recommend the Bobro for anyone looking for a good VFG for the XCR, or for any other rifle for that matter.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
The only VFG I have tried is the Grip Pod and there are no issues with it, solid as a rock.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I voted for ungrooved but I do like the way the XCR looks when bare bones/no covers. Unique. Kinda Walther MPL esque. VG wise I've got that Israeli made MP5K broomhandle type from command arms. Its solid as hell but I don't use it really. I prefer the feel of the weapon without it. Old school I guess.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We might have a topic for another poll.I personally don't care for a forward grip either.In the end you have to use what works for you but when I shoot the rifle(most rifles) I support the weight of the weapon with bone instead of muscle.In other words I hold my hand at the base of the mag well resting my elbow in tight to my side.It seems to me that it's steadier and you don't have to hold it up using your muscles.Your upper body is locked together (in an upside down triangular shape) more tightly,you have more leverage that way if someone attempts to relieve you of the rifle,and you can support the weight of the weapon longer without fatigue.I may be old school too,hell who know,but sometimes I think people try to hang to much crap on their rifle.Not trying to knock anyone else's preferred method.That is just what works best for me.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I too find that the tighter in my elbows the better i shoot. With my 9" AR I don't use a VFG, just the front of the magwell. The XCr i go back and forth with it. Thanks to Bravo I have good headless set screw for the barrel retaining bolt so I can rest my hand there without feeling that hex head bolt that comes from the factory.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts