XCR Forum banner

All prices and calibers being equal, which rifle would you choose?

Pick Your Rifle

6K views 49 replies 20 participants last post by  meckr 
#1 ·
I know this is an XCR forum and most people here are partial to the XCR, but lets try to be as honest as possible. Also, I know a lot of you would love to have an AK, however, AK's do not fire the 5.56. So it is out of this poll. If you choose "Other 5.56" please clarify what weapon and why. Keep in mind that these rifles listed above are attempts to improve on the AR-15 platform.

#2 ·
By the way you can get an AK in 5.56.Or you could get a Galil copy,same as AK but better ergonomics.

#5 ·
I've seen them before I'm sure.I'm looking online now,trying to remember who made it,maybe it was a Saiga,but it's roughly the same thing.

#7 ·
Damnit,thanks,nice to know I'm not going insane,well maybe >:D but I'm not losing my mind...completely... ;D

#8 ·
Holy crap!! I bought a Lancaster from Atlantic about a year ago and it was 500 scabs,now they're $789,DAYUUUMMM!!!

#12 ·
I had to vote for other. I really, really want to see a real-deal AUG produced in this country. I also want a reliable source of spare parts for my old one. Hopefully, Sabre Defense can make this happen.

Otherwise, yeah, it's all XCR. I'd like a SCAR, but mostly from a (cheap) collector's point of view. However, it would get shot (a lot), so the present safe-queen level investment pricing is unacceptable. Really, the main reason I'm inclined to the SCAR is the stock. The XCR needs a better stock! Then I can forget about FN and the SCAR. Probably.

#13 ·
For me it's a tie between XCR and other (piston AR). Only reason I voted other is because there are already too many XCR votes 8)

I am old fashioned and am just use to the AR platform, having carried in the Army and all. It is the weapon I shoot the most and am most familiar with. That is the only reason I like the Piston-ARs just as much as the XCRs.

I like how both weapons, XCR and Piston-AR run clean and cool. I shot about 200 rounds through my LWRC and the insides still looks brand new.

Biggest advantage of the XCR is the quick barrel change. AR barrels are pretty easy to change too, but not as easy as the XCR.

#14 ·
I couldn't pick two but I would've picked the XCR and the ACR/Masada and since the ACR didn't have any votes yet I went with it. The only thing the Masada does that my XCR doesn't (other than it is in my safe instead of just internet folklore - :D ) is the stock is better, in my humble opinion of course, having had the chance to fiddle with one it was quite nice.

#20 ·
I voted 4 the XCR. I have had three AR's, one AR180B, & one AK. The AK was the most reliable of the five. I had nothing but problems with the 180B. All of AR's work fine. One was a Bushmaster,& the other two were my custom jobs from DPMS & Rock River receivers. One was in a M4 profile, and the other (my favorite) M16A1 profile. But it was that annoying bong in the stock, and the fact that is needs a lot of maintenance. One other thing, magazines, you can have one mag that will not function at all in a AR (0%), but take that same mag and put it in an XCR & you will have successful function rate of at least 80%. But the XCR is hands down the best. And what make it the best are the things you can't easily see. I to have have a problem with the 5.56/.223 cartridge. But the XCR addresses that problem better that anything out their.

Like wristlock said.

#17 ·
I think I have to agree with Cartmann on this one. It would be very difficult for me to choose between my XCR and LWRC. I guess I would also have to call it a tie, so I voted for other. In my opinion they are the two best available black rifle on the market. However, if a new amazing stock comes out for XCR, it may gain a slight advantage. :D

#18 ·
I guess I have to cast my vote as a write in:

NONE OF THE ABOVE :eek: ;D

That's mainly because I don't care at all for the 5.56/.223 cartridge. :p :p :p

As for the available rifles, nothing on the market is quite what I want. The XCR is closest, but significantly heavier than I'd like. I see no reason that a state-of-the-art 5.56 carbine should weigh more than 6 lbs.

G
#19 ·
the SLR-106 is a fine 556 Ak style rifle. and should be on your list.

the FS2000 is a really nice rifle and has a longer service record than the SCAR and thus should warrant a line as well.

the ACR/MASADA is an imaginary rifle that no-one has shot or seen a single production version of. It most likely will never be produced either and as such i feel it should be removed from the list entirely. If you do leave it on the list then we should also list some things like plasma rifles and phasers as well.

frankly my vote is probably for the fs2000 in 556, and the XCR in 6.8. when I bought my XCR the SLR-106 was a VERY close second place, and If i had it to do all over again, I'd probably choose that instead.

#21 ·
I too have an Armalite 180B,mine has been absolutely reliable.I would venture to say it would be my secondary go-to rifle,then the AK,unless I needed more power,then the PTR-91 would get the nod.The XCR is hands down my winner from this list,better or as good as anything else and costs less,and is available.

#22 ·
L85A2, all steel, not designed to wear out, 20" barrel so 5.56 ballistics aren't and issue and in A2 format it's the most accurate and reliable NATO issued 5.56 rifle.

#24 ·
Blew away the competition at bisley and the team went though almost 60,000 rounds without a failure. Everyone I know who uses them loves the platform. With the new rails, attachments are a breeze and accuracy is spot on. I even miss my A1 version, it worked fine for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.