XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Spike's Carbine Length 37mm HAVOC just came in. This thing is built like a tank and the fit and finish is superb. I got the carbine length instead of the 12" because it is the exact same length as the XCR upper rails and looks great with the 11" light profile barrel that Alex turned for me. I had to do a little modifications to get the launcher to sit closer to the mag well. I replaced the barrel bolt with two set screw type bolts. One to lock the barrel in and another to lock in the first bold. This way nothing sticks down below the bottom rail like the original barrel bolt does. I also had to mill a small recess into the HAVOC rail to clear the slight step in the bottom XCR rail where the barrel bolt hole resides. I am about to send in my Form1 to register it as a Destructive Device so I can launch the "good stuff" out of It. I am going to have a 40mm Beehive Round turned down to 37mm. Beehives shoot 18 22lr rounds at the same time. I can also make my own baton, sandbag, and nasty flachette (sp) rounds once I get my tax stamp.

MadDog >:D

"SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND"

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have weighed the launcher before I installed it but didn't think of it. The 11" barrel is a light profile so the XCR was pretty light to start with. The launcher is milled from solid billet aluminum and only the internal mechanisms are steel. A full 30 round mag weighs more then the launcher. I would guess the whole package weighs about 8 or 9 lbs. It's not so heavy I couldn't carry it all day on a single point sling.

MadDog :duh:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'll bet Aziators balls are sweating over this. Bet he buys one when he gets back from the sandbox. ;D Looks nice. :2cents:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$299 for the HAVOC Launcher and .70 cents for the two new barrel bolts. The modification to the launcher mounting bracket didn't cost me anything as I used a small end-mill bit in a dremmel that I already had and just made a relief cut on the inside of the bracket. It took me about 30 minutes to get it perfect and you can only see the mods on the inside of the bracket if you to take it off the XCR.

MadDog :eek:

·
Registered
874 Posts
I can pick up those launchers in Canada too. Don't even need a firearms license up here for them as they aren't considered a firearm hehe. I should put one of those puppies on my XCR.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MrSmithy:

In the US they are not considered a firearm either, but all you can use without registering it as a "destructive device" are flares, smoke grenades, starburst, and gas. The cool stuff like chalk rounds, baton rounds, sandbag rounds, rubber balls, and those nasty little darts they call flachetts are all considered destructive devices here in the USA. That is why my Form1 is going in now so hopefully in 60 days I will be able to have some "real" fun.

ny32182:

The new barrel bolts are just two very short allen head set screws that have the same thread size, picth, & hardness as the original bolt. I got them at Ace Hardware. The first set bolt holds the barrel in place and the second makes sure the first does not move. Both of them together sit flush with the bottom rail, unlike the original barrel bolt that protrudes about 1/4" past the bottom of the rail.

MadDog ;D

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hehe I could just ask a buddy of mine in the service to bring me some HE rounds lol. Though I don't know the rules in Canada as to what we are allowed to shoot out of them. But Thermite and HE rounds would certainly be fun.

·
Registered
923 Posts
The military uses 40mm not 37mm just FYI

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tacweapon is correct. That is why on my Form1 I put 40mm as the caliber and 37mm as the additional markings. That way I have the option of having the tube bored out to 40mm. Most of the 40mm rounds I have seen start at $25 each and if you need to have them shipped to your house because you can't find then at a local gun show, then there is an additional hazmat charge which is pretty steep. If I roll my own then I might as well do them as 37mm and keep the original design intact. I have a bunch of aluminum 37mm hulls already, so when my tax stamp comes in I can make some pretty cool rounds.

MadDog ::)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Ack I forgot that. Oh well I could always go buy a real M203 40mm which are also available here, though alot more difficult to find and alot more expensive.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I didn't know you needed a flush mount barrel retaining bolt.

If you go back through the archives, I offered to send them out to people - and sent a whole bunch out.
I retrofitted my XCRs with 'em 'cause I like to use the front of the magazine WELL as a grip for my left hand - the standard barrel bolt chafed my finger.

The thing was, I had to buy the replacement bolts in a bag of 100 - which means I have about 92 more than I need.

Let me know if you want to go that direction - I don't mind.

With these, you torque to spec, and don't sweat them coming out inadvertently. At least they haven't for me, and I run mine pretty hard. Likewise, I haven't heard a peep from anyone I sent one to, about theirs loosening up.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Hey Bravo, I wouldn't mind sending you a few bucks for one if you still have 92 that you are trying to offload. I remember your thread from a while back, but it seems like it was before I had my rifle.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I've sent out a whole bunch, but still got plenty.

Drop me a PM with your addy, I'll send you a couple next time I'm in town at the post office.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bravo,

You don't really need a flush bolt but if you don't use one the launcher sits too far from the mag well in my opinion. It is more comfortable to use the magazine as a grip for the launcher if it sits very close.

MadDog

PM sent on the bolts as a single bolt will probably stay tighter than my two bolt system.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
No worries - I don't have a grenade launcher in mind.

Actually, I've always kind of felt sorry for the grenadier - in the same way I felt sorry for the poor slob having to carry the M60 ;D

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
oh my...

you need to throw your suppressor on and you'll almost have the entire nfa system covered :p

when did you go to the arms with half spacer? you had a magnifier and a cantilever mount before right?

I use that on mine. like the absolute cowitness that mount setup gives :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts