XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a pistol for one of my daughters. It needs to be ambidextrous, both safety/decocker, slide release and magazine release as she is left handed.

I'm currently looking a the Sig P250 and the S&W M&P, both in 9mm.

Anyone got an opinion or other options?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Man I would look at a Glock In 40 cal my wife can shoot one it was the first gun to shoot to it is easy to learn its just my opinion if she is used to weapons it will be easy to learn and its easy to clean over half of the us police forces use them to its very reliable like i said thats just my opinion

·
Registered
327 Posts
Check out the SIG P229, they make it in a left hand model and it is a great gun. I own one, but i'm a righty so that doesnt really help. But in the 9mm would be a great started gun for her.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I understand the Smith and Wesson MP line is soon to be upgraded with a manual safety option. The current models, except for the .45 which is already available with the manual safety, are similar to Glocks in that they have trigger safeties not manual safeties. They are considered safe as in, if you drop them, they won't discharge. However, the first time some dumb friend or kid picks it up and puts his/her finger on the trigger, someone will get shot.

Have her wait a few months for the upgraded MP, that's what I am doing.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
When I took the SIG Armorers Course, we played with the P250. Modular, and easy to work on...

Nice concept, but I wasn't (nor were any others) overly impressed with it. The trigger assembly seems loose. Try one and see if you feel the same way.

A woman I work with bought one, and bitches about it (the loose trigger) all the time. She picked up an M&P 9 and LOVES it.

All of your SIG P-Series pistols can have the mag release swapped for leftys, but not the slide release or decocker.

A lot of people balk at these - but a Ruger P95 is ambi for both decocker and mag release. Slide release is still on left side...

I got rid of a P95 and a P89 and wish I had them back.

How about you take her out to Gander Mountain or Cabela's and let her put her hands on an M&P?

·
Registered
327 Posts
A friend of mine has the M&P in 9mm it has a good feel and fit and finish is awesome. If I hadnt baught my SIG i may have gotten one of them. But I am a die hard SIG owner. Love my P229 its a .40 and shoots awesome.

1redgmc, can you do trigger jobs??? I would like to have a little better pull on the Double Action. Or can you even do that?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks red I've checked out his site, I get in contact with him and see what he can do for me.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Two pieces of advice:
1) Let her choose. If possible go to a range that rents pistols and let her try as many as she wants until she finds one that she likes.
2) Be prepared to be surprised at her choice. When my wife was picking she tried a bunch of 9mm's, Glocks (19, 26), H&K's (P7, USP), S&W M&P (fullsize and compact), Kahr, Springfield EMP, and a Walther PPS and the winner, a Springfield XD subcompact. I would never have guessed the XD, but it works great.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm leaning towards the M&P as I want it fully ambi for her. do you find the trigger on the M&P gritty?

I am considering either a Sig retrofit short reset trigger for my P226, or asking Bill to do some of his magic.

davek, she is left handed and only two. I want to get something I can leave in the safe until she is old enough, just in case Obama bans them all now. I've already got a couple of Glocks put to one side with a bunch of spares, but really want something specifically for a leftie.

Yeah, she won't be shooting it for a few years, but I don't trust Obama.

·
Registered
325 Posts
my girlfriend is left handed and refuses to learn to shoot right handed guns (grr) so she got a M&P 9 compact and its a great gun!! supported barrel for +p shooting, ambi slide release, you can swap the mag release button to the other side (took me 3 minutes) and has changeable palm swells, came with 2 mags, one with a extended grip, overall a good gun and it shoots great! no FTF's or problems at all! many LE and military groups are switching to M&P now and going away from glock, but I have nothing against glock since i used to own one, other then maybe the issue with the "unsupported" barrel....but thats a big ugly debate

PS: the trigger is a little rough, but on the M&P forum they show you how to "fix" it or just order a trigger job from the performance center

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Mickey, I'm gonna reiterate the comments on Glock.
I bought my son a second-generation G17 as his first centerfire pistol.

I figured it was fitting, as he fired my first G17 when he was 3 or 4...... loved it. And yes, I was holding it when he was firing, one round in the mag at a time.

It's about as ambi as what you're gonna find, I believe, with one exception.
You mentioned a slide release, and I view it as a slide lock only. In stressful situations, grasping the slide and pulling it back to chamber from a fresh mag is MUCH easier than hitting a smallish lever with an extended finger.

That's what's taught as the preferred technique now anyway - I've been using that technique for a good decade now, and when well practiced it's every bit as fast as activating the slide lock in reverse.

Just a FWIW

·
Registered
568 Posts
Mickey, My opinion is that chances are people will shoot best with what fits best/feels best/points most naturally.
Its just easier to shoot well when the grip shape and angle compliment the hand that holds it. Less muscles fighting each other.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I'm looking for a pistol for one of my daughters. It needs to be ambidextrous, both safety/decocker, slide release and magazine release as she is left handed.

I'm currently looking a the Sig P250 and the S&W M&P, both in 9mm.

Anyone got an opinion or other options?
I would pass on the P250. The M&P is the better option between the two. The P2000 and P2KSK is another solid option.

The P250 is an interesting, but I can almost assure you short stroking will be an issue, in addition overall trigger control

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Mickey, My opinion is that chances are people will shoot best with what fits best/feels best/points most naturally.
Its just easier to shoot well when the grip shape and angle compliment the hand that holds it. Less muscles fighting each other.
Always good advice,anytime something fit you,it just works better.
About Glocks,they are great weapons,but not for everyone.I still don't get why they have not introduced an interchangeable backstrap for their pistols,it just makes good sense,marketing wise and ergonomically.The Glock has a funky backstrap not everyone can use,or likes.I know you can get the grip reduced,but if your going to do that you might as well buy an XD,and save 200 dollars on the custom work.Personally I know the best safety is between your ears,but I still like a manual safety on a pistol,but that might just be me.
The M&P is a nice choice,great ergo's,and ambi.I can't comment on the Sig because I've never handled one.The new Taurus 809 series is also fully ambidextrous,and I don't think you need to swap out mag release sides.It's a 17+1 9mm with double strike capability,which the Glock,XD and others don't have,and has a much better trigger than either one,and also uses an interchangeable backstrap.I know some will bitch about Taurus,but they are one of the largest manufacturers on the planet,meaning if they were that bad they wouldn't still be here,and they have some interesting,if not innovative ideas.Here's a look ...
http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=602&category=Pistol#

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would look at the Ruger SR9. They have ambi controls, and the gun shoots smooth as silk, which would be good for the females. B/c of the lower striker position more of the recoil goes into your elbow than your wrist, helping to reduce muzzle rise. I shot one last week along with my P229 and my new XD M and I have to say, for a $400 gun, it shot as well as well as my $550 XD and my $800 Sig.
I was so pleased with it, I put one on order at my local GS (I was planning on buying HN's FNP 9mm but changed my mind after shooting the SR9). The trigger is a clone of a glock, but a little more refined at only 6.5 lbs of pull and a lot less wonky. Ruger describes it as a "semi-double action" trigger pull. Whatever the case, its sleek, easy for concealed carry and good for leftys and righties.
Should be here next week, black slide with green body to match my XD M. I'll post a review once I give it a good run at the range.
The only con is the 10 round capacity that Ruger is moving to for some reason on their website specs. Buy one now and you'll two 17 round mags.
Thats a lot of firepower for your daughter.
I have a daughter too young for a pistol (she is 6) but I would buy this Ruger for her if she was ready, and maybe she will end up with the SR9 I am ordering when she gets older.
If it was my daughter, I would want a pistol I could count on anytime, anyplace. Ruger does that for me. Think about it, when you're not around, do you want your daughter counting on anything less than perfect?

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I'm leaning towards the M&P as I want it fully ambi for her. do you find the trigger on the M&P gritty?

I am considering either a Sig retrofit short reset trigger for my P226, or asking Bill to do some of his magic.

davek, she is left handed and only two. I want to get something I can leave in the safe until she is old enough, just in case Obama bans them all now. I've already got a couple of Glocks put to one side with a bunch of spares, but really want something specifically for a leftie.

Yeah, she won't be shooting it for a few years, but I don't trust Obama.
I put the short reset into both of my 226s and really like the system. Was using my 9mm at a tactical pistol class a week or two back and it got a lot of attention from the other folks in the class when we did reset drills. The difference is certainly noticeable. May be hard to get the kits, though.

I also had the opportunity to take apart and study a 250 at an armorer's class back in the fall. Great design, but I wish it wasn't DAO, and I haven't bought one. I got a chance to look at one last month being carried by a guy who works in a gun store near Ocala. He had someone smooth out the trigger, and it was VERY impressive, like shooting a fine old, hand-worked DA revolver.
My personal issue is what VB said: the danger of shortstroking in a tense situation, because I'm used to the short reset on my 226s. But if that's all you trained with, it might work for you.

tk

·
Registered
236 Posts
I own both the XD .45 and the Smith and Wesson .45.
I am also a lefty. S&W has the manual safety which I happen to like.
XD is a great gun as well with the palm and trigger safety. (but has slide release only on left side of gun)

Both good choices, but the M&P is more ambi.
My M&P would get the nod because it "feels" like it fits me better.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have an M&P40 and my wife loves to shoot it. She's right handed, but left-eye dominant so she feels more comfortable shooting it left handed. Works great for her.

I can't comment on the Sig since I've never owned one.
I've also never noticed any grittiness on my M&P trigger, but it does sound like some of them have that issue.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts