XCR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone keep a pistol safe around the house? I'm looking at one of the two below, but open to ideas.

http://www.buyasafe.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=EG-100&Show=TechSpecs
http://www.buyasafe.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GV1000STD&Show=TechSpecs

Story behind this is we got something thrown at our house the other day, and that led to me thinking what would we do if zombies or something attacked downstairs. Either have to get the keys for the large safe, and the keys are locked up someplace else usually.... lol.

Or run upstairs.... I'd prefer to have something available quickly while I'm downstairs....

Thoughts / suggestions?

We dont have any kids to worry about or anything like that, but I would prefer to have something locked up incase of a breakin we have nothing easily obtainable.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I've seen safes that'll mount in between wall studs that are pretty solid and big enough for a pistol, shotgun, carbine, etc. The point of a safe is that it keeps everything secure but you have to make sure the zombies don't get into the house and just run off with the safe to open up back at the zombie workshop.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I take it you don't conceal Carry? If you do then just put the gun on in the morning and take it off before bed. Some would say that is a littl much but you never know when you are going to need it. Me, if I am going somwhere that I can't carry and wont be home for a bit (read overnight) then I will lock my gun in my safe. I have kids that are getting old enough that I need to figure out something different during the week when I go to work (not allowed to carry onto federal installation). I firmly believe that if you teach kids right from the start you wont have any issues but I still would rather be safe then sorry. My wife wants me to get some sort of small safe for the bedroom so I will watch this post with interest.

·
Registered
652 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Anyone keep a pistol safe around the house? I'm looking at one of the two below, but open to ideas.

http://www.buyasafe.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=EG-100&Show=TechSpecs
http://www.buyasafe.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GV1000STD&Show=TechSpecs

Story behind this is we got something thrown at our house the other day, and that led to me thinking what would we do if zombies or something attacked downstairs. Either have to get the keys for the large safe, and the keys are locked up someplace else usually.... lol.

Or run upstairs.... I'd prefer to have something available quickly while I'm downstairs....

Thoughts / suggestions?

We dont have any kids to worry about or anything like that, but I would prefer to have something locked up incase of a breakin we have nothing easily obtainable.
I would go with the second option. It will allow for faster access due to the hand print that your hand fits in to push the buttons. You would be able to use it in complete darkness, whereas the other model looks a little iffy. I not sure if the buttons illuminate, but they are spaced very closely, and in a SHTF situation, it would be hard to hit the right combination. And as Reaper stated, they also make a biometric version which would be just a little quicker than having to press buttons.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I take it you don't conceal Carry? If you do then just put the gun on in the morning and take it off before bed. Some would say that is a littl much but you never know when you are going to need it. Me, if I am going somwhere that I can't carry and wont be home for a bit (read overnight) then I will lock my gun in my safe. I have kids that are getting old enough that I need to figure out something different during the week when I go to work (not allowed to carry onto federal installation). I firmly believe that if you teach kids right from the start you wont have any issues but I still would rather be safe then sorry. My wife wants me to get some sort of small safe for the bedroom so I will watch this post with interest.
I do carry, but not 100% of the time. I work on a base, and I'm not a cop or something along those lines so I can't carry a weapon on base. So when I am carrying its going out, outside of work.

What i'm looking for is something like what your wife is wanting. I want to keep one downstairs say in the kitchen or something locked up so when I'm not carrying it on me there is something nearby. The large safe takes a bit to open.

I read some bad reviews about the biometrics being slow. The second option is not biometric, but a keypad that uses fingers instead of numbers.

Also if we are leaving the house for more than a day we lock the weapons in the safe as well, but it would be nice to keep something in a cabinet, or one beside the bed locked up so we don't have something loose when we are in town, but not at the house.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i am someone that has my chl. my carry goes on with the clothes and off when i go to bed. on the night stand next to the bed with a high lum flashlight next to it.
during work, the holster stays on the pistol gets locked in the glove box.
i just feel nakid without it anymore..

·
Registered
332 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have 3 GunVault safes. So obviously I like them.

Get the deluxe model. You need the AC adapter. These safes are battery hogs and don't give you a warning when the battery is low.
These take 8 AA batteries and need changing every 4 to 6 months unless you are plugged into the wall.

You can program the code for any combination of 3 or 4 buttons. It is so easy to use my wife can open it.

Yes a burglar can steal the safe. But he can't shoot you with the gun he is stealing.

Look at how the door opens on any safe you get and make sure it fits into where you want to hide or place it.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
I believe I've seen a model that mounts into the floor. This seems like a good solution except that if it was found it would probably be fairly easy to get into since I wouldn't think you could make the door too heavy without some serious hydraulic assist or a tie-off to secure it when open.

Since I rent at the moment, I can't technically bolt the safe to the floor. I'm considering getting a large steel plate with holes sized to the bolt pattern on the safe. Then bolt the plate to the bottom of the safe. This would add weight; but the trick is to make the plate large enough so that the safe won't then fit out any windows or doors with the plate still attached.

I'd hope this would at least help deter someone from hauling the whole thing off. Or I may just say screw it (no pun intended) and bolt it to the floor anyway.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
What i'm looking for is something like what your wife is wanting. I want to keep one downstairs say in the kitchen or something locked up so when I'm not carrying it on me there is something nearby. The large safe takes a bit to open.

Also if we are leaving the house for more than a day we lock the weapons in the safe as well, but it would be nice to keep something in a cabinet, or one beside the bed locked up so we don't have something loose when we are in town, but not at the house.
Sounds like we are in the same boat. I can't carry to work on base. At my last duty post i lived on post. It was a pain to carry, having to unload, clear and hide everything seperate from each oher before I went back on post. I figured out that when they do the vehicle stops/searches they never pat you down soI just continued to carry on my person until I got home. Worked good for the better part of a year.

I'm in a similar boat. Started looking at safes this week and have narrowed it down to

http://www.gunsafes.com/GunVault-Mini-Deluxe-GV1000C-DLX.html
I like this one and it is one that I would probably use. I too have a safe that has all my guns in it but it is in another room and not convienient to access in a moments notice. These are nice because you can mount them anywhere, you could mount it behind the headboard on your bed at an angle, behind a nightstand, just about anywhere. I would like one that has a lid that opens all the way with a hinge on the top back (like a bed cover on a truck). They I could mount it in a dresser drawer and make it s the drawer doesn't come out all the way. I think if it opened from the top you would have more room and quick access to everything inside. I have given this some thought and hope to get something soon, for my wife more than anyone. She has her carry permit but doesn't carry much. She just leaves her pistol in a dresser where the kids can't get to yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts