XCR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I am not looking for 1MOA or better groups at a 1,000 yards! MOH (Minute of feral Hog) or MOD (Minute of Dog) at 200 yards is the requirement! I need to reduce the bulk and weight of my 'heavy' shooting platform too!

While I dearly love my SR-25, it is a bit portly and 308W/7.62x51 only! The SCAR-H might be a good military rifle but, it just isn't my thing. Both are a bit heavy as well. I am really thinking 6.5CM or possibly 6CM for the caliber with long heavy for caliber bullets. I also want a shorter barrel in a mid-weight profile that is ~16" plus a little with a QD suppressor mount permanently affixed.

With a thermal scope and suppressor, my 'heavy' rifle is simply too heavy to be practical for me. I have tried the lightweight AR-10 options, not KAC, and they were a waste of time and money basically as most are semi-proprietary and simply overbuilt and heavy. The DPMS G2 with carbon fiber forearm was close though.

The Robinson Arms website is down for me so, here I am for real world info not, some paid reviews on a blog post somewhere. In a short, not NFA, configuration with a medium weight barrel, what sort of platform weight are we talking about? In a mid-bore cartridge, what cartridges make the most sense for a heavy deep penetrator against FERAL HOGS besides the 308W to keep recoil down and split times between shots down and body counts up? Ammo cost and availability matter so, while I reload, I need access to factory ammo that isn't some pipe dream from SHOT SHOW or some glossy ad.

What should I expect to pay for a rifle and where are the better places to shop and purchase one? I expect to order out of state and have it shipped in so, a retail over the counter experience is optional.

TIA,
Sid

· Super Moderator
327 Posts
Currently I'm waiting on a 14.5" 308 mini upper, that I'm going to throw an acr stock on to bring the weight down. If you want light your going to definitely want the mini length upper/gas and a light profile barrel, but even then it's going to be close to weight of the 17s plus a few ounces. Sorry can't give you details on the weight yet. You'll want to go fast2 or acr stock for the lowest weight.

· Registered
23,255 Posts
First of all, I am not looking for 1MOA or better groups at a 1,000 yards! MOH (Minute of feral Hog) or MOD (Minute of Dog) at 200 yards is the requirement! I need to reduce the bulk and weight of my 'heavy' shooting platform too!

While I dearly love my SR-25, it is a bit portly and 308W/7.62x51 only! The SCAR-H might be a good military rifle but, it just isn't my thing. Both are a bit heavy as well. I am really thinking 6.5CM or possibly 6CM for the caliber with long heavy for caliber bullets. I also want a shorter barrel in a mid-weight profile that is ~16" plus a little with a QD suppressor mount permanently affixed.

With a thermal scope and suppressor, my 'heavy' rifle is simply too heavy to be practical for me. I have tried the lightweight AR-10 options, not KAC, and they were a waste of time and money basically as most are semi-proprietary and simply overbuilt and heavy. The DPMS G2 with carbon fiber forearm was close though.

The Robinson Arms website is down for me so, here I am for real world info not, some paid reviews on a blog post somewhere. In a short, not NFA, configuration with a medium weight barrel, what sort of platform weight are we talking about? In a mid-bore cartridge, what cartridges make the most sense for a heavy deep penetrator against FERAL HOGS besides the 308W to keep recoil down and split times between shots down and body counts up? Ammo cost and availability matter so, while I reload, I need access to factory ammo that isn't some pipe dream from SHOT SHOW or some glossy ad.

What should I expect to pay for a rifle and where are the better places to shop and purchase one? I expect to order out of state and have it shipped in so, a retail over the counter experience is optional.

TIA,
Sid
If weight is the issue, the XCR isn't going to solve your problem.

I have a 12" XCR pistol that is 8.5 lbs without a mag or an optic. My 16" is 9.5# IIRC. Essentially, the weight of the typical AR10/SR25 is going to be very similar to the XCR-M.

I know you mentioned lightweight AR-10 options....but didn't mention the POF Revolution DI....which I also have and is a 6.8lb gun in a 16" bbl. Yes, it's proprietary. So is the XCR-M (and yes, if I could only pick one, I'd keep my XCR-M over the POF). It is much more accurate than the typical -M....easily under 1 MOA. The Revolution is noticeably lighter than any other .308 (or 6.5C) option out there in that type platform (I'm not sure what bbl lengths POF offers for the 6.5C option...a 16" may not be available)....though you might consider a bullpup (getting one in 6.5C may not be possible however). Bullpup .308s are just as heavy as AR10s at around 10 lbs....but are much less fatigue inducing since the weight is closer to the shoulder (as i'm sure you already know)...just thinking outside the box a bit. I can't speak to the state of POF USA as a company now that Frank (the owner/originator) passed away about 2 years ago....so may want to look into current reviews of quality, CS, wait times, etc.

Hope this helps...

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bummer about being so portly and heavy. When I have seen POF rifles in person, they just didn't appeal to me but, that could have been the experience with the dealer and other customers tainting my impression. My gun show and in-store experiences with them often included salesmen who thought they knew a lot more than they actually did based on what they said to me.

Regarding bullpups, I have been considering the IWI version since it is actually available in reasonable numbers from an established company with reasonable support.

· Registered
23,255 Posts
Bummer about being so portly and heavy. When I have seen POF rifles in person, they just didn't appeal to me but, that could have been the experience with the dealer and other customers tainting my impression. My gun show and in-store experiences with them often included salesmen who thought they knew a lot more than they actually did based on what they said to me.

Regarding bullpups, I have been considering the IWI version since it is actually available in reasonable numbers from an established company with reasonable support.
Yeah, not wild about the appearance of the POF, but it is light.....and appears to be well made; lots of innovative features too.

The IWI makes a lot of sense....but you're likely limited to .308.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts