XCR Forum banner

As an upgraded option on a new XCR, would you pay $200.00 for a Cerakote Finish?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to see how many of you would, as an extra option, pay to have your new rifle from the shop with a Cerakote Finish? Cerakote has outperformed all others in a number of tests and is a very good finish. Go to http://nicindustries.com/firearm_coatings.php for more information on Cerakote. Thanks for you input.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If offered by Robinson Arms or we could use our forum expert on coatings, then I would be for it.

This would be a part-time moneymaking deal for our expert if he wants to get into it.

I would be willing to pay him for the work

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Ditto. I decided to try it out this year. Gonna have one pistol done in Cerakote, another done in Diamondlike coating (DLC). Then I figure I'll know what's best, after hammering both for a while.

Downside to the DLC: it only comes in gray to black. That's my least favorite color, so the Glock slide is going to get that treatment ;D

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Prices aren't set in stone yet, but an estimate would be around $175-200. We would have a professional coater apply it before assembled, then once cured and cooled, build up and ship out. Also with the Cerakote, there are a lot of colors, it can be easily touched up and will last a lifetime. Compared to the other stock finishes, it it a remarkable difference.
None of these things have been finalized, but are being considered. If you have an existing rifle that you want coated. I can supply you with a coater once we have made a decision.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Ditto. I decided to try it out this year. Gonna have one pistol done in Cerakote, another done in Diamondlike coating (DLC). Then I figure I'll know what's best, after hammering both for a while.

Downside to the DLC: it only comes in gray to black. That's my least favorite color, so the Glock slide is going to get that treatment ;D
Not sure what the Diamondlike Coating is but I know that Nighthawk Custom (www.nighthawkcustom.com) uses a coating called Black Diamond. It is an amazing finish, lasts forever. It is available in Black or Tan. It is pricey, costs $350 to do a 1911. I have seen pics of guns with over 8K rounds through them and thousands of presentations with no sign of wear.

They outsource it, it is as much as a 8 week wait to have it done sometimes. The Tan may actually look real good on a rifle, I didn't like the looks of it on a 1911 though.

Not sure how it compares to Cerakote.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
That's probably the same thing. DLC is a 'stock' finish on some firearm "specialty" pistols offered by Sig, S&W, and others.

DiamondBlack (DLC - diamondlike coating) is chromium nitride, tungsten carbide, and carbon, individually deposited by vapor phase deposition between 3 to 8 microns thick. The surface coated has a hardness of 75 to 80 Rockwell (IIRC), so it's literally "diamond" tough - hence DLC.

It's warranted for lifetime. You scratch it or such, they redo your firearm free. That's assuming normal wear, not hitting it with a grinder or anything LOL!

I talked with Ultra Coatings about applying the Cerakote. They said that the cerakote will wear off with time, especially presentations from a kydex holster. But it'd take a long time.

Just so it doesn't look so "one-sided" towards the DLC, I asked about corrosion inhibiting properties of both as well. Cerakote is incredibly impervious to most anything. DLC wasn't developed with an eye towards corrosion resistance, but the first vapor phase deposited is the chromium nitride, which is very corrosion resistant. Also, the DLC fellow said that if the firearm rusts, that qualifies it for a rework under warranty - and none had been returned due to rust yet.

There are other finishes that Ionbond does (DLC is just one, all are similar) that are colored - but they're not as tough as the DLC. Nor do they carry that warranty.

Both Cerakote and DLC require baking at 300 degrees, so it looks like I replace a Glock channel liner either way ::)

At the SHOT show, I talked extensively with the Cerakote fellow. They had some interesting metal coupons they'd put through the torture tests. Sheet metal coated with Cerakote, then folded, bent, or in one case a 1.5" ball bearing pushed half-way through it deforming a hemisphere into the metal. No cracking or anything. The one that'd gone through 10,000 hours of salt spray test looked brand new.

When I asked about durability against abrasion, he asked me if I had a knife on me. Well duh. So he handed me one of the coupons and asked me to scratch off the cerakote. Using pretty decent thumb pressure (the coupons weren't that big) I left a big, ugly bright metal streak across the coupon. Handing it back, I thought "that didn't seem that tough" - but the guy wouldn't take the coupon back. Instead, he explained to me that what I was looking at was the Cerakote had taken some of the steel off my knife blade - if I'd wet the coupon slightly and rub the steel off, I'd see. Turns out he was right - I rubbed the steel off, leaving a nice black surface of cerakote. The durability of cerakote is superior to the other spray-on finishes I've tested in that regard.....

Do I know if cerakote is better than DLC - or vice versa? No. But I mean to find out one way or the other HA!

For a carbine or rifle though? Simple: I don't think I abraid a rifle nearly as much as I do a pistol. I'd side with the Cerakote. And yes, if it's offered as a $200 option on my XCRs, I'd more than likely do that. Especially in a sage or desert tan (coyote, FDE, etc).

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Would you be willing to do this as a retrofit to existing rifles?

I found that the first time I removed the RRA scope mount I had on the XCR for a couple hundred rounds, there were some wear marks on the rail finish. I think the standard finish looks fantastic, but I suspect it is probably not as durable as, say, a milspec AR finish. Granted its a crap mount that was probably not as stable as whatever good final one I decide on, and the rail will be covered one way or the other all the time anyway... but I was thinking of sending the rifle off to get refinished in something more durable, and possibly to change the color as well.

One thing that gives me pause is that since the rifle is so rare, I wonder if the majority of refinishers out there have enough (or any) experience detail stripping and rebuilding an XCR. Obviously if RA would do it, that concern would be eliminated.

I realize we do have at least one commercial refinisher here, and if I ever got serious about it and RA wouldn't do it, I would probably try to contact him since I know he has done at least one XCR before.. namely his own.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now that Terra showed me how to create a poll, I'm turning to that for clearer results. Thanks for all your feedback and feel free to vote in the poll... Thanks.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cerakote POLL.... assistance needed.

IF Maybe please explain...I will put some close up pictures of both cerakote and phosphate to better visibly see the difference.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Bravo, thanks for the rundown. It sounds like a great coating for a rifle, especially since most presentations with a rifle don't come from a holster ;)

I had my Nighthawk redone in diamond black but I am not home to see it. I was already starting to get some shiny spots around the muzzle from presentations out of kydex, probably less than 1000 total.

I voted yes for the cerakote, I would probably order my next XCR with it. I would assume it would be out-sourced.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Is it that much better than the standard finish? Yeah do some pics. Nothing to do with durability but I think Cerakote has a shine to it no? For the doe-ray-me I think I'd kick in an extra C note or two and get a trick custom job from Robar or L.T.M. Maybe German Flecktarn or Rhodesian camo.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Robar:

I've had pistols done by Robbie's crew. They're good folks to do business with, it was Jeff Cooper that turned me on to Robbie way back in the old days - back when Jeff had his stuff done there.

My first Glock got Roguarded, way back when, after the factory finish started looking more gray than black - due to the steel showing through it. That was back when I used leather holsters exclusively.

I'm not saying that Roguard is 'bad', but I'm saying you'll wear through it much faster than some others. At least I wore through it much faster than I expected.

If you can stand the stainless steel look, then the NP3 is a good finish. Wears well. If you try to paint (or Roguard, or Duracoat, etc) over the NP3 though, it won't work. Yeah, that's been thought of and tried already.

I've never personally dogged a NP3 plated pistol - that goes back to the "if you can stand the stainless steel look" comment. Plating the internals of a rifle or carbine? That just sounds smart. Likewise, the Glock that's getting the Diamondlike Coating is getting the cruciform and connector done at the same time. Should be all the small metal parts except for the locking block, the inside of the barrel, and the springs.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If I get another XCR, or have the money I'd have mine done.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts