XCR Forum banner

Which shooting stance do you prefer Weaver or Isoceles?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to see what everyones preferred method is and if you want to explain why,that's great too.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
The AF makes you shoot Weaver but really I shoot somewheres in between the both of them.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Bastardized form of jackass weaver. Works for me especially under stress.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I am definitely in the middle of the 2. Do people shoot pistol high thumb or crossed thumb?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Thumbs high, but pointed slightly forward. Because of my grip it means certain guns are a no-no. SIG's for example because I cant get the slide to lock due to my grip. Beretta's too.

1911's, Glock and HK are fine

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I thought I'd be in the minority here, but it seems I'm not.

I don't use the "modified Weaver" exactly like Jeff Cooper taught us - more like half way between that and an icosoles.

And I shoot high thumb.

FWIW, my 1911s wear Gunsite thumb safeties and short triggers. That thumb safety makes everything O-TAY!

Translating to Glock is cake.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've always believed that if you shoot straight, then your stance is right. Who cares what it's called?

·
Registered
275 Posts
0000034625 said:
I find that my rifle to hand gun transitions are much faster with Isoceles.
I trained with a friend of mine named larry vickers years back, who changed from weaver to Isoceles around the same time as I did. It helped both are speed to target acquisition dramatically.
I also switched from weaver to isoceles a number of years ago after reading Stress Fire by Massad Ayoob. He contends that isoceles is much easier to get into with a consistent stance under stress. I agree and have been very consistent and successful with isoceles.

Here is a link to the book:

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/NNSDstressfire1full.htm

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Learn both as well as one handed. In a gun fight you probably won't have time to adopt a formal stance anyway.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Weaver, isosceles has always felt a little awkward to me. And thumbs crossed.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
When I first learned to shoot a pistol (around 1972), Weaver was the way to go. Still use it. Work for me.

tk

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who shoots competitively for speed and accuracy that uses weaver anymore. take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
0000034692 said:
Here are to great hand gun shooters in a well done article about the hand gun grip. I have competed with dave sevigny many times and have placed 3rd just behind him in a shoot out we had two years ago http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/combatg_100306/

I love watching sevigny shoot, what a sicko...

I have my g34 set up just like his and man do I love that gun. The warren tactical sights are outstanding.

What do you shoot in competition?

·
Registered
568 Posts
you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who shoots competitively for speed and accuracy that uses weaver anymore. take that for what it's worth.
I take it as,,,,Isosceles works for many people and that's a good thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts