XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have various red dots, a prism, FFP and SFP scopes on my other guns, but for the 10” XCR-L pistol, I’m undecided and waffling about what I want for an optic. Part of me wants to try out LPVO such as a Vortex Strike Eagle or one of the more entry-level Trijicons. Another part of me would be interested in an Eotech green.

Interested in hearing recommendations. The gun will mostly be used for 50-200 yards at an outdoor range but would be nice to have HD functionality as well.

·
Registered
22,409 Posts
I have various red dots, a prism, FFP and SFP scopes on my other guns, but for the 10” XCR-L pistol, I’m undecided and waffling about what I want for an optic. Part of me wants to try out LPVO such as a Vortex Strike Eagle or one of the more entry-level Trijicons. Another part of me would be interested in an Eotech green.

Interested in hearing recommendations. The gun will mostly be used for 50-200 yards at an outdoor range but would be nice to have HD functionality as well.
Caliber?

For 200 yards and in and money being no object: I think I'd get the low height TA44 Mini ACOG 1.5x16S in green. Nice end of the world optic....

Garand Thumb is pretty stoked about the new Primary Arms prism Cyclops 1X....and it's inexpensive (but backordered until at least September).

For LPVO, I'd definitely go Primary Arms as the reticle and ranging systems are excellent and they are lifetime warranty. You can get FFP now in their more budget priced scopes too.

·
Registered
22,409 Posts
I don't think this price is competitive....should run sub $900 but this is sort of the model I'd get in the ACOG:

Reactions: Northern

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
5.56 … for now. :)

I don’t understand how that ACOG mounts to a picatinny rail. Do you know if it comes with a mount or is that separate?
Any reason to go with 1.5x16 as opposed to 2x20?

·
Registered
22,409 Posts
5.56 … for now. :)

I don’t understand how that ACOG mounts to a picatinny rail. Do you know if it comes with a mount or is that separate?
Any reason to go with 1.5x16 as opposed to 2x20?
Separate. I like the ADMs b/c they are toolless and don't mar the rail. And...they have LOTS of options. The AD-B2 is the lowest one; I usually get it with the Titanium throw lever or the tactical ones....although I just bought two from Primary Arms b/c they were on sale for like $63 each. The Ti ones are $99 IIRC.

Here's one from optics planet...the tactical lever model's $79ish:

The 1.5X16 is TINY.....and 1.5X is easier (to me...I also have a 2X) for both eyes open shooting....but with the chevron and ranging reticle you can still hit out to 300 with a 10.5" 5.56.

·
Registered
22,409 Posts
Edited the above to add a link to the QD ADM mount. One caveat....b/c of the shape of my face, I need my optic mounted really low. With the adjustable cheek riser and bolt adjustement on the XCR FAST itself, you should be able to find something that works with this low of a mount. I also run Troy Micro BUIS....as a point of reference.

·
Registered
22,409 Posts
Now looking at ADM mounts I’m considering the nice mounts they have for Trijicon MROs.
Yeah...I'm a pretty big ADM fan for the simplicity of not needing any tools to adjust from gun to gun. Bought a bunch of their offset weapon light mounts and it's nice to be able to swap from the XCR (slightly smaller dimensionally on the rail than my ARs) to an SLR gas tube rail on my AKs to AR uppers by simply turning a screw by hand. I like that unlike LaRues...they don't mar the rail. I like my GG&G bolt gun mounts for being lower than ADM...but having to have tools to change the tightness is a big drawback IMO. I guess it's not that big of a deal if you put an optic on and don't ever change it....I tend to move things around quite a bit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really appreciate elegant, simple design that is also built with durability in mind, and these look like they fit the bill for all of that.

·
Registered
22,409 Posts
I really appreciate elegant, simple design that is also built with durability in mind, and these look like they fit the bill for all of that.
Might look here as well....it's an etched reticle, prism type optic so if your batteries die, you can still see/use it in daylight.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The micro prisms are neat but they suffer from a tight eye box.
For something under 2x I'd just got with a dot, you get unlimited eye relief.
The PA 2x acss works but it suffers a little in glass clarity. The 5x can stack a dot with an adapter plate, but the eye box is very short.
Cog&dot or Elcan are nice if you can find everything on sale, the best glass clarity/durability option.
If you decide to go LPVO I'd suggest ffp with 1k price point to get you into the quality Japanese glass. 400-600 is typically Chinese and 600+ is usually Singapore. Bigger tube the better light and exit pupil. GRSC has a neat reticle but the glass isn't very clear. Avoid vcog until they fix battery life.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate those suggestions, but I’m not looking to break the bank at the moment, especially since I have another rifle arriving this fall.

·
Registered
22,409 Posts
Steered you wrong on the mount and low TA44.
From ADM's site:

The AD-B2 modular base is the medium base in our modular lineup. It is designed to accept several different risers to accommodate a variety of optics. Standalone, it is ideal for the 1.5-3x Power Mini ACOG Scopes, such as the TA33 and TA44. Will not work with the LOW Mini ACOG's, you will need the AD-B5 for these specific sights.

EDIT I'd contact ADM direct for the mount. I typically want my center of optic to be 1.125" on my XCRs....I'd get the centerline optic spec on what something like a TA44 low mount would be with whatever mount ADM recommends to get in that ballpark....or it may mean you need the AD-B2 with a high mount TA44. Beats me. Seems like there are multiple ways to skin this cat.

·
Registered
22,409 Posts
The micro prisms are neat but they suffer from a tight eye box.
For something under 2x I'd just got with a dot, you get unlimited eye relief.
The PA 2x acss works but it suffers a little in glass clarity. The 5x can stack a dot with an adapter plate, but the eye box is very short.
Cog&dot or Elcan are nice if you can find everything on sale, the best glass clarity/durability option.
If you decide to go LPVO I'd suggest ffp with 1k price point to get you into the quality Japanese glass. 400-600 is typically Chinese and 600+ is usually Singapore. Bigger tube the better light and exit pupil. GRSC has a neat reticle but the glass isn't very clear. Avoid vcog until they fix battery life.
The eye relief is HUGE on the new 1X cyclops according to the latest reviews....like arm's length. JFYI

**EDIT**Website says differently....3.6"...up to 6".

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That’s insanely long eye relief for a prism.
i have the Spitfire II HD 5x on an AR and am only now getting used to the smallish eyebox. For 1x I’m very tempted to just get a Holosun 503-cu, which exceptionally works fine with my astigmatism and is also available in green. Maybe I’ll do that and save for the mini low ACOG. I’m going to try to play with it at a local store. I like the idea of this little, efficient optic on the 10” pistol.

·
Registered
22,409 Posts
i have the Spitfire II HD 5x on an AR and am only now getting used to the smallish eyebox. For 1x I’m very tempted to just get a Holosun 503-cu, which exceptionally works fine with my astigmatism and is also available in green. Maybe I’ll do that and save for the mini low ACOG. I’m going to try to play with it at a local store. I like the idea of this little, efficient optic on the 10” pistol.
Yeah, I'm going to get one to try (the PA Cyclops Micro Prism) on the Genesis Gen 12 10" upper I have on order. If that doesn't kill it, nothing will, lol. Probably will also give it a spin on the 9.5" XCR-M .308 I have on order.

Bad news....I may have steered you wrong on the ACOG (at least trijicon TA44-C-400310)...which is the green ACSS reticle. It appears Trijicon has stopped production. I've got an email into them now to find out if it's been permanently discontinued or not.

Too bad the Holosun 503R doesnt' come in green. IME, the push buttons are more likely to fail compared to the rheostat dial, but I thihnk the 503-CU-GR is a good choice too. Nothing wrong with Holosun's stuff. I have several of their 403Rs.

·
Registered
22,409 Posts
Just found something interesting about the ADM mounts...the lever can be configured to open forward or backward. I didn't know this. On my XCRs, I put the lever on the right side of the gun to give the most clearance for your knuckles between the charging handle and whatever optic you're running which means that as the ADM mounts leave the factory, the lever is facing forward when locked on the rail. Granted, you have to push in a detent key in order to open the lever arm....but having it facing forward has always made me nervous. I had no idea you can flip the lever around to make it face rearward on the weapon on either side of the gun. Duh.:oops:

·
Registered
101 Posts
The eye relief is HUGE on the new 1X cyclops according to the latest reviews....like arm's length. JFYI
A prism at 1x doesn't make sense unless you need it for eye issues. Your giving up unlimited eye relief which is one of the primary reasons to use an unmagnified dot. A prism cannot be used with a magnifier if you decide to use one later.
i have the Spitfire II HD 5x on an AR and am only now getting used to the smallish eyebox. For 1x I’m very tempted to just get a Holosun 503-cu,
The 515 has a more robust body and if you watch gun deals there's a couple vendors which sell under MAP. I'd suggest avoiding the bottom tray models since the tray design is horrible and requires special tools. The auto brightness doesn't work very well so I usually end up turning it off anyway. The Romeo 5t has both solar and side battery but the glass clarity/coating is left wanting and it's totally useless for passive aiming. 515 at least works with nv. Also the 503 & 515 bottom tray units are at an odd height which only allows use of the Holosun magnifier if you decide to add one later. I've seen more 403/503s die than any other Holosun. They still warranty them out, it's just annoying waiting 3 weeks.

·
Registered
22,409 Posts
A prism at 1x doesn't make sense unless you need it for eye issues. Your giving up unlimited eye relief which is one of the primary reasons to use an unmagnified dot. A prism cannot be used with a magnifier if you decide to use one later.
It does for some people. Some like an etched reticle that doesn't need batteries and having extremely useable and variable eye relief isn't giving up anything to 'unlimited'.

JMO, no interest in magnifiers with red dots. If I want magnified, I mount a LPVO. Sort of akin to 45° micro open emitters mounted on a scope. Right tool for the job...again, JMO.

The 515 has a more robust body and if you watch gun deals there's a couple vendors which sell under MAP. I'd suggest avoiding the bottom tray models since the tray design is horrible and requires special tools. The auto brightness doesn't work very well so I usually end up turning it off anyway. The Romeo 5t has both solar and side battery but the glass clarity/coating is left wanting and it's totally useless for passive aiming. 515 at least works with nv. Also the 503 & 515 bottom tray units are at an odd height which only allows use of the Holosun magnifier if you decide to add one later. I've seen more 403/503s die than any other Holosun. They still warranty them out, it's just annoying waiting 3 weeks.
Were they 403Rs? Interested in your experience. The Rs are allegedly quite a bit more reliable...and I haven't managed to break one. What usually fails? Is it from recoil? Abuse (as in you have to be very careful with it)? Water intrusion? Just curious. I have a few Aimpoint T1s and wouldn't mind upgrading to T2s, but the cost is IMO, astronomical for what they are.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts