XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I couldn't afford the real deal for my XCR so I decided to try this: http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_trophy_73-0132P.cfm

I tried it out last week and for the money (about $175), it is pretty good. At 50 yards, I easily put all rounds within about 1 inch of the bulls eye. At 100 yards my results were not quite as good but without magnification, I can barely see the bulls eye, let alone hit it consistently :) . I shot over 300 rounds and it seemed to hold zero well. The "T" reticule can be changed to either green or red and has several brightness settings for each color. It uses a standard 2032 watch battery. Be sure the battery cover is tight. Mine was not screwed in all the way for some reason. Also, it does not automatically shut itself off. I just thought I would share this....

Allan

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ummm, it has NO magnification... What dose this have over a dot sight, of any nature, or even Iron sights??? $238.95???
But what ever makes you happy, to each his own...

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ummm, it has NO magnification... What dose this have over a dot sight, of any nature, or even Iron sights??? 8.95???
But what ever makes you happy, to each his own...
Well, first of all the street price is closer to $175 as I noted and can be had for less if you shop around. The second advantage is that it has a 1 moa dot as opposed to a 3 moa dot which sometimes obscures targets at distance. The red/green color option is nice for low light shooting. Sure you can spend more but that wasn't the purpose of my post.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Good purchase man!

They are nice scopes, and at $175, it is more than half off a normal Aimpoint and you get the kickass ACOG look.

Some of us seem to drink too much juice sometimes, we forget that water will quench a thirst just as good. ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree with fat ass (cartman joke). It looks cool and does the job of an good red dot sight....I was thinking about getting one myself but have decided to spend the extra $1000 on some magnification with the ACOG. After you go put it though some more trials let us know how it holds up.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Good buy........ later on you CAN UPGRADE. That's a lot like the WWII German recticle with a dot added. Not for beyond 2-300 but deadly, and fast, close up. Happy shooting. :2cents: ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
32 Posts
That looks SWEET! Bummer about the no magnification part ... personally I'd like at least a little magnification.

What I like most about this is that it appears to have a built in front and rear sight on top! Just peep over top of the scope and you're using sights.

·
Registered
923 Posts
That site says it is an airsoft retailer I do not know if I would trust it for a real firearm

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
yeah i would not trust those airsoft slings because they are cast leather while the real gun slings are forged leather. ;)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That looks SWEET! Bummer about the no magnification part ... personally I'd like at least a little magnification.

What I like most about this is that it appears to have a built in front and rear sight on top! Just peep over top of the scope and you're using sights.
Yep, the no magnification aspect is the only drawback. The red/green option works great. I took it to the range and used the bright red until dusk then switched to a light green which was perfect. The 1 moa dot was good out to about 150yards for my 50 year old eyes. The built in sight on top is nice also. Like I said, for the money, I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought the Bushnell Trophy about 4 weeks ago and installed it on my 5.56x45 and was extremely happy. Its surprisingly well built for the money. As far as magnification, I don't know how many Trijicon sights these people are looking through but I didn't see a damn bit of difference in magnification when I looked through many of the ACOG's. Besides these types of scopes are made for very short range/close quarters situations, how much do you really need it magnified? As far as just buying a red dot, alot of the red dot's do not change the reticle color/intensity and the cheaper ones get out of adjustment way to easy if you accidently bump the rifle to hard.

I had mine installed, sighted in, and hitting bowling pins at 100 yards free standing with no bi-pod or rest in 15 min. Thats good enough for me and saving 900.00/UP does make me happy.

Even though I could have afforded an ACOG I bought my Bushnell out of choice. Just because its made by Trijicon and unrealistically over priced does not make it better. I have been hearing that crap for years with Trijicon and while their product is good, its not that good.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I bought the Bushnell Trophy about 4 weeks ago and installed it on my 5.56x45 and was extremely happy. Its surprisingly well built for the money. As far as magnification, I don't know how many Trijicon sights these people are looking through but I didn't see a damn bit of difference in magnification when I looked through many of the ACOG's. Besides these types of scopes are made for very short range/close quarters situations, how much do you really need it magnified? As far as just buying a red dot, alot of the red dot's do not change the reticle color/intensity and the cheaper ones get out of adjustment way to easy if you accidently bump the rifle to hard.

I had mine installed, sighted in, and hitting bowling pins at 100 yards free standing with no bi-pod or rest in 15 min. Thats good enough for me and saving 900.00/UP does make me happy.

Even though I could have afforded an ACOG I bought my Bushnell out of choice. Just because its made by Trijicon and unrealistically over priced does not make it better. I have been hearing that crap for years with Trijicon and while their product is good, its not that good.
I say if you're happy with it, then that's all that matters.

As far as magnification, there is a bit of a difference, but again if you're doing CQB it really doesn't matter anyway. I wouldn't consider shooting bowling pins at 100 yards CQB, LOL, but I get what you're saying. In fact, I run an EOTech that is unmagnified. I do have an EOTech FTS magnifier in front of it for the longer "reach out and touch someone" calls though.. Kinda a best of both worlds thing. For CQB the 65MOA ring on the EOTech is great, and the 1MOA dot is good for about 100 yards. Anything further than that gets the magnifier flipped over.

Anyway, back on subject. While all that matters is that you're happy, saying that the only different between this and an ACOG is the name isn't fair either. Yes you pay an absolute premium for the ACOG, but it's not all about the name. It's about being battle tested (and mother approved). It's the fact that in the field these things can take a serious licking and keep on ticking. Does that mean as a civilian you need that "brick shithouse" quality? Nope... Not at all.... and for a typical shooter that goes out back or out to the range, you don't need an ACOG and the bushnell will work just fine... It's not like you're going to be slapping it on the side of the APC as you're piling out or something like that.

But again, just because you can't tell a difference looking through it doesn't mean there isn't a difference... Ask anyone serving on the front line if they'd trust their life to a $175 Bushnell and I'm guessing the answer would be no...

So why WOULD a civilian buy something like the ACOG instead of the Bushnell? Simple... The same reason they would spend $2k on an XCR instead of spending a few hundred on a Mini-14 or something like that. ;)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I still have mine on my FAL with no problems. Good scope for the money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyway, back on subject. While all that matters is that you're happy, saying that the only different between this and an ACOG is the name isn't fair either. Yes you pay an absolute premium for the ACOG, but it's not all about the name.
I absolutely respect what your saying, and I didn't mean to come off like I did in my previous post. Trijicon's quality is excellent and I do agree in a battle field situation you need something that is going to hack the abuse, would a bushnell take the constant beating/dropping like an ACOG would, doubtful. Do I feel an ACOG is worth what they are asking, absolutley not, and I think because of their military ties they take advantage of that in their pricing. Most people buy those scopes because it says ACOG and think its going to magically make them shoot better and sound off that everything else is crap and alot of times they just simply don't know any better. My point was simply that with a little research you can get a great quality scope with out paying the ACOG price and still be able to achieve what you want to.

Now, as far as the optics/glass are concerned I am still not quite sold on that. While I have tested many different types of firearms and equipment I will have to say that I am not in anyway an expert on these style scopes, never intensely tested either, so I will not talk out of my ass.

Now that I said that, I will say this. As far as night vision is concerned, (which I know wasn't ever brought up LOL) nothing beats a Trijicon. They simply got their stuff together in that field and I will absolutley give credit where credit is do. They are a good company and make a quality product and I am definatley not arguing that point.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
other awesome buys are most knock offs from primaryarms.com im sure there are plenty more but service is good there and have a good price.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I absolutely respect what your saying, and I didn't mean to come off like I did in my previous post.
No worries about that, you're being too hard on yourself, you came off just fine.

Trijicon's quality is excellent and I do agree in a battle field situation you need something that is going to hack the abuse, would a bushnell take the constant beating/dropping like an ACOG would, doubtful.
And you know what? For all we know, it just might... Hell, it might even perform better. The difference being the ACOG has already been through it and it's a known, whereas the Bushnell isn't.

Do I feel an ACOG is worth what they are asking, absolutley not
Absolutely agreed. There is no doubt the markup is tremendous on them, and that's almost certainly related to the fact that they know the Gov will pay it since they are battle tested.

And frankly, that's one of the reason I really respect what Bushnell has done. Once again speaking from a civilian perspective, the ACOG is ridiculously expensive, which I'm certain is one of the reasons I've seen so many getting cheap ass Chinese knockoffs and using them. Aside from sending our money over there, which is the last damn thing we need to be doing in these times, it also means that these same people are running "junk" and thinking it's great. Then they wonder why it never holds zero or fogs up or whatever. Often times these are the same people that then end up posting about that particular site and saying it's junk, speaking as though they are an authority, not revealing the fact that they're running a airsoft knockoff.

Stuff like this gives these people a chance to buy a high quality American product that they can afford and will service their needs. You can't have anything but respect for that.

and I think because of their military ties they take advantage of that in their pricing.
Exactly!

Most people buy those scopes because it says ACOG and think its going to magically make them shoot better and sound off that everything else is crap and alot of times they just simply don't know any better.
Hammer? Meet Head... ;) I recently met a guy at the range talking to one of his buddies about the 1911 he had just bought. He was absolutely trashing it, saying it was absolutely junk and couldn't believe that everyone thought they were so great. And no, it wasn't a crap one either, it was a Kimber. Listening in his main complaint was that it constantly jammed and had FTEs. Thinking perhaps it was just a tuning issue I offered to help. Shot 10 with it with absolutely NO problems at all. After he picked his jaw off the floor he gave it a try. First round jammed. Why? He had absolutely no handgun experience at all. He was shooting so limpwristed the thing was damn near pointing at his head at the peak of it's recoil! After a little instruction he was shooting perfectly. Sure he was a nice guy, and sure he was very thankful, but the fact is, if I or someone with experience hadn't been there he probably would have been home that night in some forum bashing the hell out of Kimber talking about what junk they make.

My point was simply that with a little research you can get a great quality scope with out paying the ACOG price and still be able to achieve what you want to.
Absolutely!

Now, as far as the optics/glass are concerned I am still not quite sold on that. While I have tested many different types of firearms and equipment I will have to say that I am not in anyway an expert on these style scopes, never intensely tested either, so I will not talk out of my ass.
I'm in the same boat since I've never even looked through the Bushnell. I do know that there can be a HUGE difference in glass. That comes not just from my firearms experience, but also from my photography experience. In both fields I see people buy scopes or lenses based on price so many times. As I'm sure you'll agree, just because a scope has the same magnification and diameter doesn't mean it's going to perform just as well as another with the same stats. Would most civilians that are plinking a few targets at 100yards notice any difference? Probably not. But ask a sniper that is saving lives (albeit while taking others >:D) if he wants a Bushnell or Leopold mounted and I'm pretty sure of the answer. In the same respect, you probably won't see too many professional photographers running around with Sigma glass on their cameras either.

Now that I said that, I will say this. As far as night vision is concerned, (which I know wasn't ever brought up LOL) nothing beats a Trijicon. They simply got their stuff together in that field and I will absolutley give credit where credit is do. They are a good company and make a quality product and I am definatley not arguing that point.
I have exactly zero NV experience, but I'll take your word on it!

[/quote]

·
Registered
142 Posts
other awesome buys are most knock offs from primaryarms.com im sure there are plenty more but service is good there and have a good price.
The problem I have with primaryarms is that they are selling the EXACT same Chinese knockoffs (from what I've seen) that you can buy straight from HK off Ebay for half the price or less. Again even though they are acting as a middle man, you're still sending your money to China. In the end you're also still buying something that is really crappy and basically designed for airsoft. I had a friend that had one of these on his rifle. Did it work? Sure.... Was it even CLOSE to resembling quality? Hell no... There were OBVIOUS distortions in the glass and it did not hold zero on his rifle very well. (30-.06)

Plus it comes back to what I was saying earlier. I can't understand paying a small fortune for an extremely high quality (and possibly milspec) rifle, then turning around and throwing a $100 optic on it. It just doesn't make sense to me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts