XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I'm about to purchase my first xcr and second rifle (my first being a very fun .17HMR) and based on what I've gotten out of the forums here is what I think I'll get.

Barrel: I don't plan on shooting past 200 yds really so from what I understand, the 16" light is the way to go for the 5.56?
Muzzle device: I don't know much about this area but the M16A2 type muzzle brake sounds fine (not permanently attached)
Optics: Trijicon Tripower
Stock: Folding stock, machined aluminum with rubber butt and cheek pads (as offered on their website)
*Waiting on the new trigger to purchase*
7.62x39 conversion kit

I'd buy it now but all the poor reviews on the current trigger have me wanting to wait. I welcome any thoughts.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Not sure that I would wait just because of the trigger. When you see the "poor" reviews on here they are usually saying it is a hard pull, maybe a little inconsistent even (weight wise). It is a battle rifle and has a battle rifle trigger in it. No, I wouldn't use it as a presicion setup or a spotters rifle but it feels pretty similiar to any Army issue M16A2. Mine goes bang every time, even before I had Bill work on the trigger. Many people shooting 1" groups at 100m before there was even an XCR forum to complain that the trigger sucked.

Unless ROBARM can guarantee that the new trigger will be available by XXX date I would recommend ordering now. Not because I think they will be banned, just because it is a good rifle with a little bit of a wait time to get one.

As far as you options, they all look fine. Optics are a personal preference but out to 200m I would stay with a Eotech or Aimpoint.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
What Az said.

The trigger is so "poor" that I had an easy time qualifying high into the expert category at 400. Bill Springfield does a heck of a great job though, and I recommend his work.

The light barrel is THE ticket. I don't, and wouldn't, want / need a heavy barrel. Virtually no person can see the difference in groups - at any range - when firing it as a Rifleman should be firing it (NOT on a bench!).

Muzzle devices are a personal issue. I don't use the GI version.

Since I'm the proud owner of a broken ACOG, I'll pass on Trijicon scopes. While this is all personal preference, I'll take an Aimpoint M3 any day.

On stocks, I've got both the machined aluminum folder and the M4 adaptor with a CTR stock and riser. I prefer the CTR for....... well, about everything.

Like Az said, DO NOT WAIT. This isn't the "political climate" to wait in. If you do, there's a decent chance you'll find yourself "having waited too long". And FWIW, buy more magazines than you think you can afford. Same sane reasoning.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I also, would not wait to order based only on the trigger. You have no way of knowing when it will be released or what the availability will be when it finally is out there. There are well documented options for making the current factory trigger much better anyway.

I have always liked the idea of the Tripower and would like to try one someday. The deciding factor for me on whether I kept it, if I had one, would be how much of the time the battery realistically had to be used, and how that impacted the total time between "maintenance intervals" (changing the battery). It would have to go at least 5 years to beat the Aimpoint though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was doing some research and apparently the tripower battery only lasts 10 hours! The aimpoint looks good. I checked out the site but didn't see a price. The CTR package looks nice and the 3 cheek height options are a plus. Did you get the M4 adapter or the M4/foldable adapter? I'm familiar with the M16 and I've got no issues with those triggers for the shooting I've done with them. Forgive my ignorance on this next question. Is it worth spending the extra 20 bucks or so on a muzzle brake, or should I just get a flash suppressor, or is it worth going out and buying something good for it? Bravo, I know you said muzzle devices are a personal issue but I'm curious to hear what people have to say on them anyway since I don't know much about them. Again, thanks all for the great advice!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Buy now while you can.

Bill Springfield can do a great trigger job and there is supposedly a new trigger in the works.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Aimpoint M3 with 2 MOA dot is right about 500FRN. I recommend putting it in a LaRue M68CCO (the short one).

All of my M4 adaptors are NOT foldable. Hard to hit squat with the stock folded, and since I'm not jumping out of airplanes.....

If you're looking to eliminate muzzle flash, the two to remember (in my experience) are the Phantom and the Vortex. I've got some good photos of both in the dark. In the dark, one just sets the camera to 1 second exposure, and fire within that second. You get the "full effect" of the fireball. Or in the case of the Vortex and Phantom, the lack of effect.

I personally run the Phantom on mine, but the reason is that Phantom has the exterior threads that accept a Yankee Hill sound suppressor.

The Phantom is a bit more fragile than the Vortex, but it's nothing you'll see within the first 50K rounds or so.

If you're wanting a muzzle brake, then I can't help at all. I don't use 'em, as the 5.56 - and the XCR in particular - are so incredibly smooth I don't see a need for one. When I can do hammer pairs out to 20+ yards, I'm happy with a flash suppressor (GRIN)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was looking at the Magpul CTR and they have a mil-spec and a civilian one. Which one does the XCR use? Also, how many mags does the XCR ship with?

·
Registered
986 Posts
All,

I just wanted everyone to kow that I put an XCR-L on layaway to today at Impact Arms here in UT..... I know its gonna take some time for RA to manufacture/build my new "girlfriend". As soon as I get it I will give you all a range report.

Dredd

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I was looking at the Magpul CTR and they have a mil-spec and a civilian one. Which one does the XCR use? Also, how many mags does the XCR ship with?

Unless it's changed you should get one (1) 30rd mag with your XCR. I've seen pics of the VLTOR stocks on the XCR's so I'd think that they use a mil-spec receiver extension. Terra would know for certain.

Dredd- way to go bud! You're gonna love it when it comes in! Start stocking up on ammo now if you haven't already. >:D

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
The CTR stock doesn't include the buffer tube.

Both the commercial and milspec buffer tubes fit the XCR M4 stock adaptor.

So buy the M4 stock adaptor. Then pick a CTR stock, and buy the corresponding buffer tube.

If you want a "trick" buffer tube, Vltor makes one for items like the XCR. I haven't tried it, but it's essentially a storage tube as well.

FWIW

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been looking at buffer tubes and now I have more questions. Go figure. Anyone have any recommendations for buffer spring strength? H2, H3? Does it matter?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
The XCR doesn't use a buffer spring, so that is one last thing you don;t have to worry about. As far as the muzzle brake, the stock A2 is fine. I have a YHM, a BE Meyers (Supposedly the best at flash reduction) and the PWS. I really like the PWS on my 6.8SPC but it really isn't necessary on the 5.56 (though I still have one).

Looking at recent testing if you want a great flash reduction take a lok at the AAC blackout.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=26609&st=blackout&s=

The link if for the non-supressor one. I think they made improvements over the BE meyers and kept the entire device shorter.

I hope that answers all of your questions.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
As other have advised,I wouldn't wait to at least order the rifle.The stock trigger is useable,but can stand some "messaging".I use the Vortex,and as VB said it's a very good unit,but depending on whether flash signature matters to you or whether your going to use a "can" or not will be what you need to base your decision on.That is besides price,they can be kind of spendy for the really good ones.
I have the M4 folding adapter on mine.I don't jump out of planes,but the ability to shorten the weapon can come in handy for storage or inside close quarters.The m4 folding unit is very solid and quick to deploy.You might want to order the rifle without the stock anyway,because there is a new one in development that is supposed to be the cats ass.
What you could do is call and put down a deposit or the total depending on what they want and have them build it,thus insuring you will get one,and have them hold it until the new trigger is finished.I don't think it's supposed to be much longer anyway.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Good call, you wont be unhappy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I placed my order yesterday afternoon and put the delivery location at a dealer near my house. I hope that is how it works. Will RA contact me and let me know when to expect it?

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
My XCR took 13 weeks to get to me! And this was during times of no panic buying and I could have bought whatever I wanted because everything was pretty much available.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts