XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTF is wrong with the Secret Service. Wake the hell up.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1208/16566.html

Bush ducks two shoes hurled by Iraqi
By MIKE ALLEN | 12/14/08 2:05 PM EST

Welcome to Baghdad. An Iraqi reporter set off pandemonium Sunday by hurling two shoes at President Bush during a news conference that was the centerpiece of his secret goodbye visit.

Bush was cool under fire and prevented an even bigger incident by waving off his lead Secret Service agent, who was prepared to extract him from the room.

Video shows the president's lead agent rushing to the podium, but the president immediately and subtly motions to him that it's OK. The agent backs off.

The president successfully ducked both throws. Photos show him with his head down near the top of the podium. The embarrassing incident marred a visit meant to show off the improved conditions since the troop "surge" dramatically reduced casualties to U.S. troops.

"This is a gift from the Iraqis. This is the farewell kiss, you dog," the journalist shouted (in Arabic), Steven Lee Myers of The New York Times reported in a pool report to the White House press corps.

Myers reported that the man threw the second shoe and added: "This is from the widows, the orphans and those who were killed in Iraq."

Journalists at the scene said the hurler was Muntadar al-Zaidi, a reporter for Al-Baghdadia TV, an independent satellite channel based in Cairo.

A producer for the channel was murdered in Baghdad last year.

Myers wrote in his pool report: "The president's appearance was interrupted by a man, apparently a journalist, who leapt to his feet and threw his shoe at the president, who ducked and thus narrowly missed being struck. Chaos ensued. The [man] threw a second shoe, which also narrowly missed the president. The man was roughly 12 feet from the lectern in the center of two rows of chairs, about two feet from the pool. A scrum of security agents descended on the man and wrestled him, first to the floor and then out of the ornate room where the press conference was taking place. The president was at no point injured and he brushed off the incident."

"All I can report is it is a size 10," Bush quipped

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
From now on, reporters will have to leave their shoes at the door for press conferences <g>

You gotta wonder what the hell is going on: The guy not only threw one, he got the chance to reload and do it again. Is that the kind of security the president gets these days? They're going to have to do better than that to keep Obama safe.

tk

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The definition of irony is that he now has the freedom to throw shoes at the President of the United States. 4,000 plus of our troops have died to give him that freedom.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
That's funny. Throwing shoes the most insulting action an Iraqi could do to someone and he had the balls to have a go. That's funny, mind you GW can move pretty fast too, but his secret service detail should be fired.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
He still doesn't have "the freedom to throw shoes at the President of the US". Note that he was (eventually) stopped, and probably wouldn't be allowed to try again.

Yeah, I forgot they have a thing about shoes and the bottom of feet being insulting. I guess this was equivalent to the biggest "fuck you" he could possibly express. In his mind, anyway.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
He does, he was in his contry and acting in accordance with his customs. There is probably some local law about pissing off a dignitary but US laws don't apply outside the US.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny that he calls GWB a dog and throws shoes at him. Guess that guy is pissed about being free to throw shoes.

Doing that shit under Saddam would have resulted in him having his hands and feet cut off while he was forced to watch Uday and Qusay run a train on this wife, his kids fed to dogs, and any other relatives shot in the face with AK47's.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have to agree w/VB on this. This sort of political statement would have had his whole family wiped by Saddam... :2cents:

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Hey, the US spent a lot of money and blood giving this guy the right to do what he did. Don't go getting pissy because he used it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If i were Bush my first order after the incident would have been to fire every secret service agent on that detail. No one ever covered the President, they should have been on the guy by the time he finished the second throw, but instead the crowd subdued him, and the first secret service guy doesn't enter the frame until after he's down and under control. I've heard they didn't react because everyone had been thoroughly searched and they were confident the President was safe, but it still seems like they fell down on the job.

·
Registered
874 Posts
After the first shot the guy should have laid dead on the floor

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
shot dead for throwing a shoe, a recognised cultural insult in the guys own country.............smitty, you really seem to know how to make friends and influence people.

·
Registered
331 Posts
This is good for Bush and Iraq.
Bush did not duck and cowar behind the podium.
And the Iraqi people will understand the "if it were under Sadaam" idea.

Maliki tried to catch the second shoe. Almost punched Bush in the head.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Now as I see it, "Dubya" shoulda ran and tackled him - and showed them Iraqi's what an Infidel is truly capable of!

First rule of combat... When ambushed, attack your way out!

·
Registered
652 Posts
VB is 100% correct.

I was in that sh!t hole in the beginning of this deal and let me tell these guys are total idiots.

I am not a huge fan of W but that boy moved. Where the hell was his Secret Service detail, Iraqi Dignitary Security detail, Local law enforcement? Let's not forget the grenade incident some time ago either.

·
Registered
874 Posts
shot dead for throwing a shoe, a recognised cultural insult in the guys own country.............smitty, you really seem to know how to make friends and influence people.
All I know is if that son of a bitch attacked my Prime Minster at least the one we have now in Canada I would want to see the attacker dead. Besides how were we to know if he wasn't throwing a explosive laden shoe at the president. Though I have to say Bush proved he is a good dodgeball player ;D I could care less about the Iraqis as friends or their culture they provide absolutely nothing for my country so why should I give a damn about them.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Now as I see it, "Dubya" shoulda ran and tackled him - and showed them Iraqi's what an Infidel is truly capable of!

First rule of combat... When ambushed, attack your way out!
Those bitches are very aware of what a pissed of infidel can do. ;D

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I honestly dont have a huge issue with te thrower, he was donig what was culturally acceptable. The Secret Service on the other hand, they failed miserably. Did you hear the thud they shoe made hitting the wall behind him? Every single SS guy should have been in that room and surrounding Pres Bush.

We don't want to give the impression that we are scared of a guy throwing shoes but I don't think it is dignified to continue speaking either. Our President shouldn't give them the time of day after that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts