XCR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personal preference or a function caused by form (errr mounting solution)?

What do you use?

Currently I use both, however the mounting solution for each has dictated the style of actuation method. I use different mounts from DD for my Pentagon X3s, a scout and offset mount. The scout system mounts the light along the axis of the 3 o'clock rail and I have trouble extending my left thumb while using a TD vertical grip to actuate the tailcap. With this mount, I found the pressure pad much more conducive to the proper and consistent use of the light. On the other hand, with the Pentagon X3 in the DD offeset mount and TD vertical grip. I find it quite easy to actuate the light with the use of my thumb.

I guess I stake my tent into the "function caused by form" camp.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Personally, I've got my light off at the 3 o'clock position, towards the front of the fore end.

I prefer to trigger it via the tailcap, with the index finger of my left hand.

But that's 'cause I use the front of the magazine well as a gripping surface for my left hand normally - nothing is going to work perfectly for me in that position. For a snap shot, light on and off, running my left hand to the fore end isn't problematic.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Using a vertical foregrip I use the tape switch inserted in the pocket of my TangoDown foregrip. It is functional, and easy to use. If I want to activate the light as constant on, I just turn the tailcap of my Pentagon Light, and it stays on.

Now if I was to use a Lazermax Unimax laser, I would have to activate it with my left hands index finger. These lasers are great as they have the pulsing laser beam which is so much easier to pickup, especially during the day.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I use surefire g2/g3 lights on my rifles with Z49 tail caps. They allow for momentary on with light pressure and click for constant on with a little more pressure. I love the ability for constant on.

If you have ever had to hold a pressure pad on for over 5 minutes or more you'll know what I mean.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I need help deciding what to get here.

What mounts are you using? I like the LaRue mounts and they have some strong combo deals.

Pentagon? Surefire? Streamlight?? others? ???

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I just received a pentagon light from Roy, works real nice. I am going to do some hunting tomorrow and plan to stay out as long as I can. Hopefully I can see how the light works on game...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Which one did you get? what mount are you using?

Details please.. I'm confused as to what I want. ???

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm partial to tailcaps.

Reason being is sympathetic reflex.

As in if you have a vert. foregrip w/a pressure pad, AND under a stress situation that would require you to have a light on and aimed in with a hot weapon (chambered and safety off), I'd hate to be the one to explain how I had a ND because I was trying to turn on my light by squeezing on the pad and subconsciously at the same time also squeezed off the other pad, that pad being the trigger. This is also why I prefer double action pistols and I'd take a 'combat trigger' over a 'match triggers' on rifles.

It happens more often than what you would think. Quite typical when you have a gun in one hand and trying to grab someone with the other.

A tailcap is all together a different motion. Preferably weak side as I use my left booger diging tool to push on the cap. You'll use a different range of motion that is still simple and will help isolate sympathetic reflex action.

Ppl all too often don't train enough using lights. I'm no exception and when I use a weapon light it is all too often not during training.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts