XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Available soon....

Was thinking about trying the 3X Spitfire from Vortex....will try this instead. $299 preorder for both x39/BLK and 5.56/.308 Due in April....

Reactions: themousethatroared

·
Super Moderator
247 Posts
Eye box and FoV on these is pretty small. I like the concept a lot, but physics is a factor. It's even tighter than a 4x ACOG. You'll need to have it so far back you have to put the BUIS in front if your going to use them at all. Its hard to find a balance that is usable prone and shouldered, you'll end up adjusting the stock. Uses micro mounts which is nice. I'll probably pick one up anyway because I am addicted to prisms.

·
Registered
22,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eye box and FoV on these is pretty small. I like the concept a lot, but physics is a factor. It's even tighter than a 4x ACOG. You'll need to have it so far back you have to put the BUIS in front if your going to use them at all. Its hard to find a balance that is usable prone and shouldered, you'll end up adjusting the stock. Uses micro mounts which is nice. I'll probably pick one up anyway because I am addicted to prisms.
I take it you've played with one of these specifically? If so, how does it compare to PA's 2X prism...I have that one in 5.56/.308 and love it; no issues with the FoV or eyebox. I don't love the size though...this one looks more like a slightly larger version of the 1X Cyclops.

·
Super Moderator
247 Posts
The PA 2x has a much larger/longer eye box. On the PA you have like 4-6" of usable length and you can be way outside "the zone" and still have a usable sight picture. These micro prisms just have a much smaller eye box. I still like the idea, maybe if the ocular was a bit bigger (ex. Elcan), the eye box would be nicer. It seems like the shorter the prism, the worse the eye box. XCR has plenty of adjustment so you can probably get it really close, I've only used one on an AR. Waiting for my buddy to get some so I can grab one at dealer cost+beers. Its like looking through a G43, but has the eye box of the G45 magnifier.

·
Registered
22,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The PA 2x has a much larger/longer eye box. On the PA you have like 4-6" of usable length and you can be way outside "the zone" and still have a usable sight picture. These micro prisms just have a much smaller eye box. I still like the idea, maybe if the ocular was a bit bigger (ex. Elcan), the eye box would be nicer. It seems like the shorter the prism, the worse the eye box. XCR has plenty of adjustment so you can probably get it really close, I've only used one on an AR. Waiting for my buddy to get some so I can grab one at dealer cost+beers. Its like looking through a G43, but has the eye box of the G45 magnifier.
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

·
Registered
22,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems like it beats the Vortex Gen II Spitfire 3X just barely in several categories. Think I'm going to preorder a 300 BLK version.

Reactions: Northern

·
Registered
22,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a couple of the non-magnified 9mm ones. They're now my favorite for PCC's.
Same....but in the 5.56/308 versions. My favorites too.

·
Super Moderator
247 Posts

·
Registered
22,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In stock. My buddy wasn't allocated any so I'll probably get one before they bump up the price.

Yeah, they already bumped the price from 300 to $320. 300 BO and X39 are in stock. Missed them when they had the 12% off sitewide last week, damn it! Definitely picking one up to try.

Still says April for the 5.56/.308.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not sure where you all are seeing the price bumps, I’m still seeing $299.
i also asked PA and heard back from them that there will be green reticles next, so I’m waiting and trying to be patient.

·
Registered
22,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure where you all are seeing the price bumps, I’m still seeing $299.
i also asked PA and heard back from them that there will be green reticles next, so I’m waiting and trying to be patient.
That's the pre-order. The 300 is in stock...and is $319. I'd wager once the 5.56 is 'in stock' it will jump. Thing is, if you wait for a 12% off sale, even at $320, it's $282.....So you save a bit.

·
Registered
173 Posts
They raised the price of the unmagnified 9mm version $20 as well. I bought two before that and also got the 12% off. My assumption is that they were selling so well that they couldn't keep them in stock, so why not raise the price. Perhaps they'll lower the price back down again when supply catches up with demand.

For a 9mm PCC carbine, I think this optic is great. I still prefer ACOG's for rifle caliber because the clarity is better and ACOG's don't have to be focused. My close in vision is bad, while my far away vision is really good. I don't know how they work, but the ACOG reticles are always perfectly clear to me and anyone who borrows one of my rifles. Having to set the focus and then readjust it between shooters is inconvenient. Of course that's how most scopes work.

·
Registered
22,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
3x is here. Should have time to write a review by Sunday
Thanks. They sold out of the 300 BLK version I was going to get. Would appreciate your real world feedback when you get a chance.

·
Super Moderator
247 Posts
Glass clarity is wanting a little, but the eye box is not bad. It's an excellent entry level prism considering the price. PA has a winner here and if they ever build it with Japanese glass I think it could challenge the ta33 if they kept it under 400. Eye box isn't as forgiving as the ta33, but look how tiny it is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts