XCR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just have one quick question for anyone who has used one of these. After looking at their website, it states that the brake was designed for use with a Gemtech suppressor, therefore, it comes with a peel washer.

Now my question is, if I am not going to run a suppressor on my XCR, do I still need to use a peel washer or can I just use a crush washer? It seems to me that it would be easier to install with a crush washer due to the peel washer having to be heated to remove the layers (at least this is what the instructions call for).

Any help would be appreciated.

Jon

·
Registered
115 Posts
If I remember correctly the peal washer , by pealing, allows you adjust the thickness of the washer and so you can position the muzzle break ports in the correct orientation. The crush washer limits length of adjustment. As a aside note IMHO compensators are not necessary for these small calibers and are really loud to anyone next to you. I had a H&H .375 once and it kicked so bad I got rid of it and went back to my .338 for dangerous game. I had 2 narrow slits cut in the barrel of my 338,about a inch or so back from the muzzle and the that helped with the recoil but did annoy any one standing behind me. I just use the standard bird cage flash hider on my AR/XCR type rifles.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I remember correctly the peal washer , by pealing, allows you adjust the thickness of the washer and so you can position the muzzle break ports in the correct orientation.
I believe you are correct. By peeling a layer at a time, you can orientate the brake by placing the logo at the 12 o clock position. And essentially, this is the same with a crush washer, just tighten until it is where you want it. I just wanted to make sure it is okay to use a crush washer instead of the peel washer due to easier installation. I guess it probably wont make a difference since I am not using a suppressor.

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I wouldn't pay more for the one with ears for mounting the supressor if you don't intend on using it ever with a supressor.

As far as crush vs. peel, you don't ever want to use a cruch washer with supressors. If for some reason they don't crush "evenly" as you tighten there is a chance that they wont be perfectly concentric with the bore. While this wouldn't be a big deal with no silencer the broblem is magnified when you have 4+ inches of can on the end. This is what leads to baffle strikes. You will see that most silencer manufacturers that use a fast attach type system have a muzzle device that doesn't need to be clocked. You don't use any type of washer, just some Loktite.

If you haven't ordered yet contat Roy at Aussie Arms, I have purchased 4 PWS brakes from him and he will treat you right.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Aziator

·
Registered
48 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but I was looking at the XCR spec's and they say the berrel is threaded 5/8x24 and the PWS website says the FSC556 is threaded 1/2x28. So what gives? Are these compatable or not? Or is it "just close enough"?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I think the XCR 5.56 is 1/2x28, I put the FSC556 on mine.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
yeah, I am going to go with misprint.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you dig around on the FAQ page it states that the 5.56 has a 1/2-28 thread and the others are 5/8-24. I'd measure mine, but I'm still waiting for it...

·
Registered
652 Posts
First impressions on shooting this brake!!!

1.) Holy crap this thing directs pressure to the shooter!!!!
2.) Damn! any muzzle rise is gone.
3.) I'll take 2 bi-lock models please.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
My initial thought after shooting my 11" 6.8SPC with this brake

"Self, wear long sleeves if you like your arm hair"

·
Registered
652 Posts
My initial thought after shooting my 11" 6.8SPC with this brake

"Self, wear long sleeves if you like your arm hair"
I can totally imagine! the wolf .223 ammo is bad enough for me.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I had one mounted to my M4 (work gun) and my buddies called it the Buddy F*cker Front End. It did keep the muzzle down, by man will it ring your ears in an enclosed area! Kinda felt like I was gonna get a nose bleed after continuous shooting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts