XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I go to the range I make sure the barrel bolt is tight, than I shoot 100 rounds and have noticed that the barrel bolt is loose. Not falling out loose but 1/2 to 3/4 turn loose.

Is this normal? Anyone else have this problem? And how do I fix it?

Any Help would be appreciated!

Steve

G

·
I've had it happen once with my new barrel.

dunno how to stop it or why it's happening.

Alex needs to address this.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I had it happen once. I just went back and torqued it down like the instructions say and haven't had any problems since. I want to say that there was no discernable barrel movement even when the bolt was loosened 1/2-3/4 turn.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Until this thread, I think I'd heard exactly one report of this ever happening?

I recently removed my barrel for the first time, and will make sure to check its tightness after the next session. The barrel nut on mine requires effort to turn even when it is "loose"... I can hardly imagine it shooting loose.

I couldn't retighten it the amount specified (70 degrees?) past the point where it is "hand tight", so I just torqued it down as hard as I could by hand. If there are ever any issues I will report mine.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
If you've got a torque wrench, that helps.

I've had my barrel bolt come loose, and I've witnessed the barrel bolts coming loose on others. It's from not being tightened down sufficiently. If you're firing, and inexplicably your group starts going to heck, that's the first place to look.

Now I keep a snap-head torque wrench in my "at home" cleaning kit - and tighten to 250 inch pounds. My field cleaning kit doesn't have the torque wrench, but I don't remove the barrel for cleaning in the field either now.

Since changing to this method, I haven't had one come loose.

At the last class, I didn't pull the barrel at all for cleaning - so the newest XCR's barrel bolt went 1200 rounds without loosening, as a number I can put my finger on and say "I know for sure". As far as I'm concerned, the torque wrench proved where the problem was - squarely in my hands.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Where did you get the snap head torque wrench as I would like one as well?

I have been swapping barrels frequently of late and haven't noticed them loosening.

I recommend a habit of checking the barrel bolt, extractor bolts, and any other you can think of every time you clean the gun as preventive maintenance. I have done this and absolutely no issues. Keep a 1/4 inch wrench and an allen set in your cleaning kit and it is pretty easy and adds hardly any time to the cleaning time.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I wonder if it would be possible to link these reports to "new" vs. "old" rifles. For those that have had theirs loosen, was it on an older rifle, with, say, the old gas system originally installed? Was it the factory barrel install job, or one you had done yourself (ie. were you the one that torqued it down when it came loose)?

What does the screw feel like when you do loosen it? Once it is backed off of contact with the barrel, is it loose enough that you could turn it with only your fingers, or does it still require a wrench to back it out further?

For those that have removed your barrel a lot, has the nut grown "looser" in the receiver over time? Thanks,

·
Registered
704 Posts
When not snugged to the barrel, mine has loosened a bit. Before I thought it required too much effort to turn with a wrench and now it feel about right but still requires a wrench.

Mine is an older gun that originally had the old gas block--updated since.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Martens, I like Snap-On for torque wrenches. Got 'em in different sizes, they're all good. Snap-On is really good about fixing them for free - while you wait - if one gets screwed up too.

On my early-early model, I just loctited (blue) the ejector bolts. On my newest one I'm experimenting with Nord Locks. So far, so good, but I need to set down at the Hornady progressive and crank out another case or two of ammo...... You know, just to make sure ;D

Another place to check is the gas block set screw. That having been said, if that one is also torqued to 250 inch pounds, I haven't had any problems (Thanks Terra!).

NY, this applies to both old and new style rifles. There's no difference in the barrel retaining bolt and barrel anyway. I've removed my barrel pretty routinely for what, almost 3 years now on the first one? No problems, and nothing wears with time - just don't lube the bolt threads (or, as in my case, accidentally get oil in that area).

My personal opinion is that people (and I include myself in this category, past tense) 'baby' the weapon. As in "I don't want to torque down on it THAT hard - it might hurt something!". Forget that. The torque specs I listed came from Terra. It's not a baby, it's a weapon - and it's not a fragile weapon at that either. I'll admit I questioned if I should torque those that hard the first time I put a wrench on it (funny how numbers change perceptions!) but that got slapped out of me. It's designed to be at that, so put it at that, drive on, and enjoy having no problems. At least that's my personal opinion.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
All you need to do to prevent the bolt from backing out is crank that sucker tight. You can't just turn with one hand until it stops. You need to use two hands on a t handle to do the job right. ;)

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
What I did with mine when I reinstalled it (and I have not fired it since, I don't really know if it will be effective yet)

Is take a good sized L-shaped wrench, and torque it down as hard as I could with one hand. I don't think it was any tighter than that from the factory.

Does anyone put any locktite on this bolt? I guess that might not be effective since that area is probably subjected to considerable heat under sustained fire?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Bravo-

Viva Nord-Locks! I like the new bolt I made for it too.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My barrel bolt will come loose consistently after a couple hundred rounds no matter how hard I torque it down. Are those Nord-locks available at any hardware store or are they a special order thing?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I ordered mine off of the interweb.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
My advice is to purchase a good torque wrench, and torque to spec.

No problems. None. And that's doing thousand-round runs.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
If I ever did have problems with this, I'd hit it with some blue locktite. I'm not sure how effective that would be seeing as that area is probably subjected to considerable heat... but I would give it a try anyway. Can't hurt.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
If I ever did have problems with this, I'd hit it with some blue locktite. I'm not sure how effective that would be seeing as that area is probably subjected to considerable heat... but I would give it a try anyway. Can't hurt.

heehee... sorry, couldn't resist...

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Grip it like you mean it , baby!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts