XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After an application of locktite when my rifle was new, I have not experienced any loosening ejector bolts. However there seems to be enough posts of others experiences to imply that we may have a minor issue here. It would seem a simple yet robust fix would be to add a retaining tab to the ejector plate. After installing and tightening the ejector bolts, one would simply peen the retaining tab flush to the bolt face. Seems like a simple fix the factory could add to eliminate any possibility of the bolts loosing up, yet still allow the ejector plate to be easily serviced / replaced.

Example retaining tab:

The ejector plate:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If folks are having problems with their bolts coming loose... they can make their own retaining tabs. You don't even need to physically attach the retaining tabs to the ejector plate. The trick is to construct your retaining tabs from a single piece of metal, with 2 drilled holes, one for each ejector bolt. Using a single piece of metal allows the ejector bolts to anchor the retaining tabs, while the retaining tabs prevent the bolts from turning loose. This would also allow you to simply swap out the retaining tabs if they become weak or break from repeated use. Total cost... damn near free. I guarantee you this system won't shoot loose! So who is going to be the first to build one and post a picture? :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yea, if he came out with them. I could probably unscrew a bolt and put that in.

If you wanted to laugh you should have seen me thinking about threading my bolts and wire fastening them. "Hmmm I could do this, yea, I know I could, let me check with my medical insurance first"

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For those who don't want to fabricate.. I suspect a simple "3 tab" locking washer per bolt.. with 2 tabs peened to bolt face and the 3rd tab bent in the opposite direction... and fitted into a hole drilled into the ejector plate will suffice.

But I like the single retaining tab approach the best... no holes to drill... a simple drop in.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Guys:

Thanks. All good ideas. I would like to know if there are any of you who had it come loose more than once after using loctite? If so we can look at other options.

My experience in speaking with customers is that if RA didn't loctite them right to start with, they come loose before 1000 rounds. If they make it to 1000 rounds, they don't come loose.

Sincerely,

Alex J. Robinson
Manager
Robinson Armament Co.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
yep, no issues here after 5K+ rounds and I am not sure they loctited the early ones like mine.

G

·
Sorry guys, I think this is a lame idea. the nuts laredy have lock washers on them and with the addition of a simple drop of locktite the things are pretty well there for as long as you want them there.

keep it simple. no need to overcomplicate something that dont need it.

On a general not I gotta say that everyone seems to know what is a great idea for the XCR. I'll be the first to tell you that I probably dont know even 1/10th the amount of thought that went into each individual part. i can only assume that each part is a comprimise so that it can work with the rest of them or keep costs to a reasonable level. as such you being a part of the weapon need to comprimse and learn the weapon better.
If Alex were to change this one part then all the tooling and specs, time and labor that went into developing the current ejector will be lost and cost/profit wise robinson has to start all over again. all that because we as operators refuse to learn and develop a manual of arms through our combined expereince with this gun!!

I propose that we actually start making this forum less of a whiney "low signal high noise" place and start focussing on making US better operators and in doing so find the strengths of the design instead of theoretical "problems" and suggestions. If we actually have problems then by all means lets poin them out and put them to a peer review process. a 10 minute call to alex will probably tell you more than all of the rest of us combined.

perhaps someone should create a manual of arms section and/or thread.

Jack

1 - 20 of 29 Posts