XCR Forum banner

PTR 91 special edition

4K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  tk 
#1 ·
So I'm out at the local gun shops, seeing what's available in the way of FALs. And there it is on the shelf: No, not a FAL, but a special edition PTR 91. Free-floated, fluted barrel; railed receiver; match trigger group; adjustable stock and bipod. A slicker version of their regular perimeter rifle. Supposedly, only about 60 were made. Expensive, but about the same as the FAL with the medium barrel, railed receiver and match trigger.

Anyone have experience with this line? Thoughts and opinions?

The colonel said in another post that the original 91s were real hard on brass; does that hold up with these, as well?

thanks for the help

tk

#2 ·
I have a ptr-91k(carbine) and It is a sweet rifle.I've never geard of the model your talking about,but it sounds like it would be a nice piece.How much did they want for it?

#3 ·
HK-91s have a fluted chamber for more reliability in using various ammo. If you plan on reloading go back looking for an FAL. If you DON'T reload, and the price is right snatch it up. I have one and they shoot great, but they do kick harder than the FAL. If I had the cash/trade for it, I would probably be cleaning it after a long day at the range. ;D ;D ;D

#4 ·
They were looking for $2,300. But that's a little better than what a similarly equipped FAL would cost.

I'm a reloader, and that hurts. It's a a sweet piece.

tk

#5 ·
I believe JLD altered the chamber just a bit so the cases won't get as damaged.Either way they won't have as much life as a non-fluted chamber.

#7 ·
I'm tempted. It's sweet. But if it chews up brass so that I can't reload, then I'm not going to be able to shoot it as much I'd like.

tk

#8 ·
If this is a verified documented factory special rifle ,then possibly one day it could have some serious value.If not then I really cant see dropping 2k on a "special" PTR.I got mine for $835 bucks delivered to my local FFL.Granted that was a few years ago,but you can still get the version I have for about a grand.
You can put about any kind of accessories on it you want.I put an m4 type collapsable on mine and a screw on rail on the top where the claw mount would go,and it is a really nice setup.I had Bill Springfield do a trigger job on mine and now it is a super sweet shooter.
This sumbitch ain't never malfed even with Indian ammo,you know the kind that deposits that superstickyass powder residue.I mean this is nasty stuff.It was a bitch to clean(that ammo),when I bothered to do it.Wolf,Barnaul,all the cheap stuff it never barfs,belches or farts on any of it.
I have about $1500 in the rifle,scope rail/base(120 bucks from DSA)nice assault rifle case,too many magazines to count,at $1.50 a pop why the hell not,and the m4 stock.I don't have any glass on it at the moment,but when I did,under 600 meters I think I could give someone a pretty hard time,and my eyes are shit.
If you want I could blast a few rounds and take pics of the cases and you could see for yourself if they were salvageable.Truthfully its been a good while since I actually looked at the spent brass.

#18 ·
If this is a verified documented factory special rifle ,then possibly one day it could have some serious value.If not then I really cant see dropping 2k on a "special" PTR.I got mine for 5 bucks delivered to my local FFL.Granted that was a few years ago,but you can still get the version I have for about a grand.
You can put about any kind of accessories on it you want.I put an m4 type collapsable on mine and a screw on rail on the top where the claw mount would go,and it is a really nice setup.I had Bill Springfield do a trigger job on mine and now it is a super sweet shooter.
This sumbitch ain't never malfed even with Indian ammo,you know the kind that deposits that superstickyass powder residue.I mean this is nasty stuff.It was a bitch to clean(that ammo),when I bothered to do it.Wolf,Barnaul,all the cheap stuff it never barfs,belches or farts on any of it.
I have about 00 in the rifle,scope rail/base(120 bucks from DSA)nice assault rifle case,too many magazines to count,at =0000021189.50 a pop why the hell not,and the m4 stock.I don't have any glass on it at the moment,but when I did,under 600 meters I think I could give someone a pretty hard time,and my eyes are shit.
If you want I could blast a few rounds and take pics of the cases and you could see for yourself if they were salvageable.Truthfully its been a good while since I actually looked at the spent brass.
If you can post some pics, that would be great.

tk

#10 ·
Try gunbroker too that might give you some real asking prices,and possibly pick up an good deal too.

#11 ·
This particular version is not on their website (the dealer told me it would not be). The pic below is their standard perimeter rifle and lists for $1,999. The one I was looking at is a special version that has a special railed handguard, 21" heavy fluted, target-crowned barrel, and what the dealer described as a match trigger. The trigger was superb. It had no iron sights. The dealer popped a 3X ACOG on it and had me sight out the front door and across a busy highway (from far enough inside that I wasn't visible to the passing cars) -- it was sweet.

The website doesn't say anything about the chamber. I may have to call the manufacturer.

The standard perimeter rifle seems to be selling between $1700-$1900. Can't find a picture of the special edition one anywhere. But I've found a bunch of comments that reinforce the idea that it's hard to reload brass from it.

tk

Attachments

#12 ·
That one has the sniper stock ,which I would guess is an expensive option,especially from the factory.It doesn't however have the nice wide handcarts like mine.I don't see why that rifle is 2000 scabs either,but thats just me.Mine also has a different lower which is all steel.While that one is polymer and is known as the "navy" lower I believe.I prefere my lower because you can change grips on it vs being stuck with the others.This rifle in that configuration is essentially a psg1 without the HUGE pricetag.

#13 ·
I'm not sure that the brass issue with 91s/PTRs have are totally dependent on the chamber fluting. The case mouths are usually dented/crushed due to the violent extraction of the shell and it bouncing off the lip of the ejection port. Yes you can say it's a direct connection due to the chamber fluting but it's more than just that. The flutes are only there to aid the extractor by floating the brass with spent gas thereby making it easier for the extractor to do its job. Put a port buffer on the rifle and you can resize the case mouths and reload. (you just have to locate the ejected brass) As far as the marks on the brass from the chamber flutes, they are cosmetic and won't cause any problems.

#17 ·
You'reright: The feedback I've gotten on other forums is twofold: The violence of the extraction process deforms case necks as you describe. But it's also been said that he fluting physically marks the case body.

A lot of folks can get away with doing a case-neck-only resize if they're dealing with bolt-actions, but full-length resizing is required for anything coming out of an auto.

tk

#14 ·
OK, I found a picture.

tk

Attachments

#19 ·
that sounds like it'd be a pretty good shooter. with decent ammo I've done 1.5 moa with my ptr91, so with some accurizing and a sturdier optics mount that thing should be very nice.
nice piece!

tk

#20 ·
I'll get you some pics out soon.I work third shift and firing that loudass short barreled bitch might piss off the neighbors at 5 am when I get home.Not too mention trying to find the brass with a flashlight :duh:.I just hate the photobucket thang,I wish there was a way to paste a pic directly to a post.

#21 ·
You can place pics directly into the post, use the additional options tab to the left of the type box when you hit reply. It gives you the option to attach pics directly.

#22 ·
Called the company and talked to one of their folks: The only real differences between this and the standard perimeter rifle is the trigger, the longer, target-crowned barrel and the handguard.

But he was pretty upfront about it not being a rifle for a reloader. He agreed that both the necks and the case bodies will get scarred up.

Cool gun, but I think I'll pass.

tk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.