XCR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any quantitative tests on current muzzle brakes and flash suppressors on the market? For example, put each device on the same platform with the same loads and an accelerometer and dB meters at one or two points as well as grouping. Or measure the intensity and duration of the flash signature?

It would be interesting to be able to look at numbers for different designs side-by-side to compare. Then start to try and correlate certain measurements to more qualitative observed effects. For instance "x.xx reduction in recoil is the threshold where it becomes noticeable by most people".

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I know there was talk of doing something like that over at silencertalk, not sure if the got around to it.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
The PWS brake fired back to back with a regular flash eliminator on an XCR generates a little more flash but the control is phenomenally improved.

With my FAL, the regular flash hinder came off and a PWS brake went on and now I can triple tap 8" steel at 100 yards with no issues at all. Downside is that as this is a full brake and noise and flash scare the piss out of other people on the firing line. with 45G of 2520 pushing a 168g tip, at night it looks like a battleship opening the big guns!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I am with MickeyC. The PWS brake is awesome. It tamed my FAL and I just got one for my XCR but I have yet to try it out.

G

·
as far as flash reduction, all the equitable tests I've seen indicate that the Vortex is the superior performer in that category.

I will note that if you use wolf or barnaul ammo, you can expect muzzle flash no matter what you use!!

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
The Vortex is a nice device but I think the BE Meyers is superior in flash reduction. With that said, it costs too much and seems to add 2 inches to the end of the rifle. AAC's new Blackout seems to do real well and in thier testing (yes, I know it is biased) they achived better reduction that te BE Meyers unit, with a smaller flash hider.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
The best flashider is a supressor!

·
Registered
568 Posts
The SEI Vortex came factory installed on my M-240 H. It worked pretty well,even under goggles.

Not to hijack the thread only a detour,,,

When I fed it a 4to1 mix of special M80 ball and M-276 I.R. Tracer the results were total invisibility to the naked eye and and almost invisible with ANVIS-6 goggles at the user end. Way cool at 950 RPM ;D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have read that the PWS muzzlebrakes (as is typical with all(?) muzzlebrakes) increase noise and concussion especially for those who are to the sides of the shooter. I would like to get input from those of you with experience with the PWS brakes as well as with other brakes. Are any muzzlebrakes known for having the least amount of increased noise and concussion and some flash hiding abilities? This input would be greatly appreciated as I live in Massachusetts where fash hiders are prohibited :(.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Any brake will increase sound and concussion to the side. That is how they work. they don;t produce much more than anyone else but at least they do provide a degree of flash suppression.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
My 6.8 has a PWS and with only 11" of barrel it can be a little loud. most people don't like to stand to my side. It doesn't bother me though. It provides exellent muzzle control and a good amount of flash supression.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have read that the PWS muzzlebrakes (as is typical with all(?) muzzlebrakes) increase noise and concussion especially for those who are to the sides of the shooter. I would like to get input from those of you with experience with the PWS brakes as well as with other brakes. Are any muzzlebrakes known for having the least amount of increased noise and concussion and some flash hiding abilities? This input would be greatly appreciated as I live in Massachusetts where fash hiders are prohibited :(.
The PWS was tested and was one of the better (Less loud) ones. With this one the shooter (Me :D) doesnt notice a difference but the other shooters (pissed off guys directly to my left and right) seem to notice it.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
The PWS was tested and was one of the better (Less loud) ones. With this one the shooter (Me :D) doesnt notice a difference but the other shooters (pissed off guys directly to my left and right) seem to notice it.
Yep, the shooters to the sides Do Notice! ;D :D

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts