XCR Forum banner

Question about steel cased ammo

921 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  gunner69 
#1 ·
I went to a new range today and they do not allow use of steel cased ammo. The guy really couldn't explain why since he was just an employee. I was shooting a variety of steel cased stuff but all bullets were copper FMJ, nothing fancy. Am I missing something?

#2 ·
Yeah, I'm not surprised one bit that he couldn't explain. So I'll tell you why.

The simple overall answer is that they don't want to mess with steel casings laying around and having to collect and dispose of it.

I've been at ranges where you were not allowed to p/u your brass, therefore the brass then belonged to the range. They didn't allow steel cased ammo. Their excuse then, "That there steel cased Russian crap is dangerous. There has been many reported KB's with that bad, bad, bad ammo". I thought to myself "Huh? Wut? What a load of BS. I guess any other brass cased ammo is OK even handloads, which have always been proven never to cause a KB". But of course AFTER they start selling steel cased ammo, THEN it was OK. Other lame excuses: "Steel cases causes more damage to the range facilities walls, dividers, ceilings, etc." and "Steel cased ammo is corrosive and emits toxic gasses when fired". But those were the things said about steel cased ammo when it was relatively new.

Yep, real guys of genuses. One of several reasons I don't shoot at ranges with range nazi's present. I either go open desert or ranges w/o safeties at times when nobody is present.

And yes, I did tell that steel cased ammo is easily picked up using a area magnet attached to a broom handle.

#3 ·
Thanks. I figured it was a recovery of brass issue so I even said I would pick up all my steel cases for them. Of course the employee didn't even have a clue as to why you couldn't use steel cased stuff so that argument was pointless. I would definitely trust some of the factory steel cased stuff over some of the exotic hand loads I have seen people shoot. Maybe if I ever go back I will mention the magnet on a stick solution and see what they say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.