XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what kind of steel goes into the barrel of an XCR.

I understand that it is chrome lined chrome-moly, but I have often heard 4140, 4150, or Mil-11959 Vanadium to describe rifle barrels.

Which does the XCR use?

-K

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
My guess would be 4140 chrome-moly steel, chrome lined chamber and bore. I know that they have had a few Stainless Steel barrels in the past. Not sure if you can still get one. I think RA will, within reason, customize the rifle the way you want.

·
Registered
69 Posts
How about an answer to this question then. Is the barrel material, lining, and heat treatment basically the same for the current light and heavy barrels?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yeah, this hush-hush attitude seems really juvenile. It's not like there will be a flood of aftermarket barrels made from a different material if this "proprietary info" somehow became public. Lemme guess, it's either 4140 or 4150 or something similar -- what's the big deal? It's not like it's pot metal....or is it???

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Most likely it is NOT 4150. Because if it was then Robarms would be bragging about it :)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Yeah, this hush-hush attitude seems really juvenile. It's not like there will be a flood of aftermarket barrels made from a different material if this "proprietary info" somehow became public. Lemme guess, it's either 4140 or 4150 or something similar -- what's the big deal? It's not like it's pot metal....or is it???
Most companies regard their "TDP" or blueprint as confidential. Some companies, like FN, are forthcoming about barrel steel, but are tight lipped about the compounds used in the lower and stock.

Put it like this, if it isn't in the brochure, don't bother asking because no one is going to tell you.

·
Registered
350 Posts
LWRC wouldn't say who made their barrels for the longest and it turned out to be lothar-walther I believe "early models". Who cares but again, who cares.... It's not like it has the same numerics as the us nuke launch code. :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: ::)

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Most people talk openly about their barrels unless there is a proprietary process they want to hide. Not disclosing the material is a suspect strategy.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Unobtanium.

·
Registered
350 Posts
unknownium, nondiscloseium hopefully not dogscatonium

·
Registered
350 Posts
4140 is fine for this application. 4150 would raise the price of the rifle.
Really? I can't taste the difference :p

Robert, How did you come to such a conclusion? and what is the difference between the two?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts