XCR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so hypothetically speaking......

Scratch that. So, I have a "friend" that is an AK lover. He happens to have 3 of them.
Plenty of mags, plenty of ammo.

He next rifle will be an to get an XCR (5.56)
Already starting stock with some PMAGS (26 of them) and couple K of ammo

His original plan was to get the 5.56 then get the 7.62 caliber conversion kit.
That was before he realized that the mags were proprietary (from C Products)
So buying all new mags does not sound all that appealing

I read more about the 6.8 round. Understand it is more accurate/hold more velocity over longer distances, correct?
Any other advantages?

Ammo is expensive (relative in todays world, isn't everything expensive?) Best place to get it?
Magazines: Best place to get them?

So knowing my "friends" situation would you recommend he get the 6.8 since he has the 7.62 covered?

and also please feel free to voice your opinion on the 6.8 round vs the 7.62 and experience/comparison of the 2

Many thanks

PS I hope he doesn;t lose all of his guns and ammo on his boat trip next week,,,, ;)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also is there a plan to do a .308 caliber conversion kit? Is that even possible with the existing lower?

·
Registered
449 Posts
The 6.8 is a good "bridge" round between 5.56 and 7.62x51 and better in almost all areas than the 7.62x39.
It is comparatively expensive as both loaded ammunition and reloading components, still a low nu,ber of manufacturers. If Wolf Gold ever get into it as they have with the Grendel round it will be a real help.

The 7.62x51 (.308) cannot be an upgrade path for the XCR-L as the mag well in the lower is much larger.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I have the 6.8 and love it. I have some of the original C Products mags with the Magpul followers and have had zero problems. The PRI mags are nice too.

The 7.62x39 mags are not proprietary, you can use any 7.62x39 mag that will work in an AR. Unfortunately, C Products seems to be the only one that is making them.

For 6.8 ammo, I go straight to the source, Silver State Armory. I reload and I think that unless you have a completely disposable income the 6.8 is a reloading round (unless you don't shoot much).

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I have owned a Colt 7.62x39 upper for ages. I have NEVER found a reliable AR based magazine that worked right. Knowing that already, I chose the 6.8 conversion for my XCR. A plus was I reload and the 6.8 IS superior to the 7.62x39. If you want to shoot cheap (relatively) ammo at your back yard range go with the 7.62x39.

If you want to hunt with it, or use as a self-defense round, I think I would go with the 6.8 for its better bullet choices.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the 6.8 and love it. I have some of the original C Products mags with the Magpul followers and have had zero problems. The PRI mags are nice too.

The 7.62x39 mags are not proprietary, you can use any 7.62x39 mag that will work in an AR. Unfortunately, C Products seems to be the only one that is making them.

For 6.8 ammo, I go straight to the source, Silver State Armory. I reload and I think that unless you have a completely disposable income the 6.8 is a reloading round (unless you don't shoot much).
Thx for the info. I do plan on shooting it, but have never done any reloads. How hard is it to learn? How much up front investment money for the proper reloading equipment would i need.

Cheapest you can buy the 6.8 rounds is where exactly? Silver State? Is that still around $1.00 per round?
spensive......

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
The upcoming 6x45 is another round that may interest you.It is going to be loaded by Cor-bon,and although not cheap,it does use a 5.56/223 case and could be reloaded more cheaply than the 6.8.The great thing too is that the conversion kits will be cheaper,basically just the price of a barrel.Magazines and bolts are compatable with the 5.56.If you know someone that reloads 5.56 you could ask them to show you how to do it then use their press.This round would allow you to hunt and have more potent ammo for self defense without as much cost associated with other cartridges,plus you will never run out of brass to use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts