XCR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this might seem to be a silly question,but here goes.Me and a friend of mine were discussing the best way to manipulate the charging handle,overhand or underhand,so I figured I would ask everyone here what their preferred method is.Personally I prefere underhand as it feels more comfortable and it seems to provide more leverage.It might make a difference depending on wether the rifle is shouldered of down in a loew ready position,but I meant while shouldered.If it's down in a low ready I prefere overhand.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Do you mean 'how to charge the rifle while you're firing left-handed? For plinking, I charge it with my left hand then transition and fire left handed. If I were running drills I charge it with my right hand reaching under the rifle, but the magazine interferes a little.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Over hand all the way for me. do it the same way everytime and it will become habit. I also grab it just about the same way I charge an M4 (thumb and index finger) so there is an overlap of muscle memory. I prefer the side charge of the XCR though. I like to be able to stay on target in the ready when charging.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Underhand, all the way.

There are ergonomic reasons for doing so.
We were taught ALWAYS use overhand when charging the Uzi, but the reason for that was 'cause if we did it underhand, there was a good chance of cutting the charging hand with the charging handle.

Since the XCR doesn't have the notches for sighting in the charging handle (GRIN), use the most ergonomic method - underhand.

Of course, that assumes a right-handed shooter, manipulating with his left hand.

When I need to shoot left-handed, I do it as Roughneck said - charge with my left hand (also underhand) and then transition the left hand back to the firing grip.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I'm with Aziator, just a modified version of how I charged the AR's for many moons. I've only fiddled with weak hand a few times but I tilted the rifle to the right and went over the top.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suppose I assumed that every right handed person uses their left to charge the rifle.In the end you have to do what feels right for you,but one of the selling points for me was the fact that you don't have to take your hand off the fire controls to charge the rifle.
Some people that have tried that say they don't like how front heavy the rifle feels when holding it by the pistol grip.It never bothered me but I can understand how some might feel that way.When I grasp the charging knob I use the side of my hand then wrap my fingers over it,it seems to provide excellent leverage.
Your using your bicep in this position,so it seems like you should be able to apply more force to a stuck case or whatever.I was never comfortable going over the top,If I ever had to use the XCR left handed I would just use my left to charge it.
Same deal (but opposite) when I shoot my AK or my mini-14(right handed),hold it by the forearm with my left and charge with my right.either way works for me but I just like the XCR setup for the fastest setup when you need to charge it .

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Not only can you keep your firing hand in position - but you don't have to dismount the weapon to run the charging handle.

That's one of the tick-marks in the column of "why the XCR is better than the AR".

When running the bolt back on the AR, you gotta roll it out of the shoulder pocket somewhat, and manipulate the charging handle back by your right ear.

The XCR is MUCH more ergonomic.

One of the CQB schools I attended said that a bolt lock should ONLY be a bolt lock - never a bolt release. The reasoning was being under stress it'd be easy to fumble hitting a bolt release. That's a fine motor skill. When I brought up hitting the entire left side of the receiver (on an AR) as we'd been taught to before - it seems that under stress people don't keep the hand perfectly flat and sometimes hit the bolt release with the 'cup' of the hand. So methodology has evolved.

Keeping this in mind, which one is easier to use as a bolt release - the charging handle on an AR :p or the PERFECTLY positioned charging handle on the XCR?

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once again Bravo you have clarified my point,With an AR,you have to go to low ready to have room to pull the charging handle back without slapping yourself in the eye.The XCR,you can maintain your coverage of the target/threat with the muzzle.This,I believe was the whole point of the left side charging handle to begin with.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
This is where practice comes in. You have to find what works for you, and then practice what works. Hats off to Bravo again. In a stressfull situation it is the drill that will save your life. :2cents: It becomes second nature so no "stop to think" slows you down. :duh:

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Yeah, I saw it in a quote somewheres, probably MagPul but it's "You don't rise to the occasion, you sink to your level of training." Whoever said it, it's true. I use it in class all the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts