XCR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K everyone remember I am Canadian so I am a newbie when it comes to NFA rules. Question is Do you need to submit paperwork if you buy a short barrel for a rifle in the US or do you only have to do the paperwork and pay the tax stamp after you install the barrel on your rifle to make it a SBR?

·
Registered
439 Posts
As I understand the regs...you can buy the barrel, but you can't keep it anywhere near a receiver that could make it a SBR otherwise it would be considered "intent to manufacture". I'm not sure what is the acceptable distance between these parts but I would imagine it would have to be a buddies house for example.

·
Registered
22,807 Posts
K everyone remember I am Canadian so I am a newbie when it comes to NFA rules. Question is Do you need to submit paperwork if you buy a short barrel for a rifle in the US or do you only have to do the paperwork and pay the tax stamp after you install the barrel on your rifle to make it a SBR?
For example: If you have unrestricted access to or possession of a shorter than 16" XCR bbl and you already own an XCR....it's called "Constructive Possession".

If you haven't bought an XCR yet, you can own as many SBR bbls for it as you want. It's when you own the two that there's a problem.

You might be able to get away with storing the short bbl at a friend's house (as long as you don't have unrestricted access to his home) if you already own an XCR, but unless you send it off to ADCO or someone to shorten a factory one or have the factory ship it directly to your friend.....ATF *could* make the case that at some point you had possession. For example, shipping the short bbl to your work, and taking it directly to your friend's safe would probably be fine as no one would ever really know unless you told....but the fact that it was in your possession and you already own an XCR *could* get you in trouble.

Best to apply for the stamp, get it, then order your stuff rather than chance it, IMO.

Sean

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am just asking cause I know a guy who can export me the barrel to Canada and I want a short barrel :). So he can buy one and export if he doesn't own an XCR?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Yes, if he doesn't own an XCR he can purchase the barrel for you and export it. Most places these days don't even ask for proof of SBR registration when you order short stuff.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In the case of AR-15's you can also have the lower registered as a pistol and therefore can have an 8 inch barrel on a fully functional weapon but it cannot have a stock. No NFA paperwork involved. To my knowledge, though, there are no XCR's that are registered as pistols.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts