XCR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I got my used (~300 Rd's through) 5.56 16" with a Springfield trigger job last Tuesday and one of my buddies gave me short notice to hit the range Saturday afternoon. We went well north of our local region (sorry for the guys I said I'd Callisto was a really short notice deal) to a local public outdoor 100m range. The weather was perfect-75, mostly sunny and a light breeze.

I fired about 65 rounds of PMC 55gr. The first 15 went to finding the paper, and from there I walked in to the black with my BSA dot sight. First impression: Consistent, easy to use and just overall fun! The rifle has almost no recoil at gas setting 2 and my rounds were flying in front of the bench to stalls over (about 8-10 feet). I set the gas valve to 1 just to see and the casing fell out right next to me. Of course I turned it back upbeat good to know the difference it makes!

My big challenge was that for the past therefor years I've shot various courses and combat with the M-4 and the mag release took some serious focus to use what is a better design. I ended up loading four mags with 1 to 3 rounds a few times and just conducted magazine changes over and over (no rapid fire on the range :mad: ). Once I got the hang of it...It is so smooth and fast it's ridiculous! A huge improvement over the previous system.

I did get a few questions, everybody thought it was a built AR. A few people saw the good and the improved function (the RSO seemed to by checking it out every chance he got)...and of course there were the AR die hards.

Bottom line's couldn't be happier :party: :thanks: :tomcat: :toast: I'm going to get more ammo today as it seems more and more states are declaring sovereignty and I'd like to have my ammo now vs. later! I'll also be looking into getting a bit better the Leupold CQ/T or a similar variation. Any thoughts?

-Oh yeah, and I was the only one collecting brass. Fired 65 rounds, came home with about 300-400 cases ;D Time to learn how to reload!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Awesome!

I do the same thing... I collect brass, even for calibers I don't shoot right now. Each range trip is usually good for a handful of .30-06 or other larger rifle cases. Wish I could find some .308.

Glad you are liking the rifle.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I am glad you like your rifle the more you use it the more you will like it over a standard AR.

I do the same thing with the brass except I make it a point to about once a month go out to the range and not shoot and just pick up brass, last time I did it I came home with around 4000 various casings. I really need to learn to Reload.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Make sure you're paying attention to those cases if they are range pick ups. Pistol brass isn't so much a big deal because it darn near lasts forever but rifle cases really need a good once over. You might get a handful from the guy that left them out there because they were old.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Yes, that is true, I didn't start picking up rifle brass until I felt confident that I could see the signs of whether or not it had already been loaded a bunch of times. And, if I am using a rifle case for the 6th time and intend to get rid of it, I still pick them up and put them in the trash can instead of leaving them on the ground, for that reason; I don't want to leave it for someone to pick up thinking it is new.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Make sure you're paying attention to those cases if they are range pick ups. Pistol brass isn't so much a big deal because it darn near lasts forever but rifle cases really need a good once over. You might get a handful from the guy that left them out there because they were old.
I know all of the 5.56, .308, .45ACP, .357Sig, .40SW brass I pick up is new since I pick it up from the PD range and they are not allowed to use reloaded ammo. But if it is something other then that I check to see if I can tell if I cant I still take it home but I seperate and let someone else check the brass.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I know all of the 5.56, .308, .45ACP, .357Sig, .40SW brass I pick up is new since I pick it up from the PD range...

I had the same set up when I was stationed in GA. The locals had a deal with the gun club and used it every Thursday for qual and practice. Used to make a point about swinging out that way after work when they were finishing up. "No, don't worry about the brass, I'll pick it up for ya!"

Bag some up and make a few bucks off of it!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys bring up some good points-is there a file for reloading on the forum where I can learn a bit more?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Excellent! Did you go to Markham Park? They are really, really insistent about the "no rapid fire" thing. Last time I was there a guy at the other end of the line opened up with about a dozen quick ones and the range officials nearly shat themselves. You could hear, "Uh-oh, someone's in trouble!" all up and down the line.

Just out of curiosity, did you post this on a cell phone, specifically an iPhone?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
You guys bring up some good points-is there a file for reloading on the forum where I can learn a bit more?
I don't think there is a place specifically for reloading (there should be!) but you can probably post something up in GD or Sociliazing if you have any specific questions. A lot of reloading experience around here; MickeyC, Gunner69 are a couple that come to mind. I never claim to have the answers to everything but have spent the bulk of my life at the reloading bench, feel free to PM me and I'll help out as much as I can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts