XCR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just ordered my XCR. Looks like I'm gonna have wait for a long time but the good thing is I got a set of YHM flip up's for a $120 and a Magpul MOE milspec stock and pistol grip. If the 6.5 conversion kit was available I'd probably get that too. In the meantime I'll just keep stocking up on ammo. :(

G

·
yeah, it's a good time to look at optics and accessories and stock up on mags while your waiting.

Half the time i get a gun then end up waiting for several months to get it all accesorized.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Given the cost of some assessories, it's not hard to end up spending at least as much on them as you did on the rifle. For example, a 4x32 ACOG by itself runs $1K to 1.5K. Good Gen-3 night vision can easily run more than $3K.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Given the cost of some assessories, it's not hard to end up spending at least as much on them as you did on the rifle. For example, a 4x32 ACOG by itself runs =0000039589K to 1.5K. Good Gen-3 night vision can easily run more than K.

Yep. It always surprised me to see my friends go out and spend god money on a rifle then top it with a $20 gun show optic. I'm not saying more expensive is better, I'm just saying I'm not rich enough to buy cheap stuff. Buy right, buy once. Buy cheap, buy twice.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
It's about balance too,not everything inexpensive is junk,and not everything expansive is great.You have to judge based on performance.Sometines cheaper optics aren't that bad and if they have a warranty at least you can get it replaced.Acogs are nice,but not everyone can afford to drop that much change on an optic.Read reviews,do a little research,before you blow a ton of money on an optic,just because it's expensive.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
There's definitely some sleepers out there in terms of products and price. Millett's 1x4 scope is a good optic and does everything an ACOG can do and a little bit more at a fraction of the price. Burris scopes too. I'm not a fanboy of something because of a name, an NSN, the mil-spec"ness" of something, or any of that jazz. As a small arms repairman I saw Aimpoints, EOTechs and even ACOG's crap out by the score. But I've also seen them take a beating and not break because they were made for that level of abuse, while some of the other stuff out there wasn't. Warranties are great but when it comes down to really needing it the chances of a warranty repair will be slim. I think UPS has a "no zombies" clause so they won't be running then! :D

Get what you want and have fun with it I say!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well I just ordered my XCR. Looks like I'm gonna have wait for a long time but the good thing is I got a set of YHM flip up's for a 0 and a Magpul MOE milspec stock and pistol grip. If the 6.5 conversion kit was available I'd probably get that too. In the meantime I'll just keep stocking up on ammo. :(
I just have to say, this is the calmest and most civil first post in a rant thread I have ever read on the Internet (in 19 years or so).

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Posted by: m118sb
Insert Quote
There's definitely some sleepers out there in terms of products and price. Millett's 1x4 scope is a good optic and does everything an ACOG can do and a little bit more at a fraction of the price. Burris scopes too. I'm not a fanboy of something because of a name, an NSN, the mil-spec"ness" of something, or any of that jazz. As a small arms repairman I saw Aimpoints, EOTechs and even ACOG's crap out by the score. But I've also seen them take a beating and not break because they were made for that level of abuse, while some of the other stuff out there wasn't. Warranties are great but when it comes down to really needing it the chances of a warranty repair will be slim. I think UPS has a "no zombies" clause so they won't be running then!

Get what you want and have fun with it I say!
Good points.I should probably have inserted a caveat.You should obviously buy better optics if your life is dependant on its function.Also if that's the case,you should not only have some type of backup sighting system,another optic pre-zeroed in some type of quick detach mount ready to go in case the primary goes down,isn't a bad idea either.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got 6 (lost) magazines from the Army already so I'm good on those. I'm thinking og getting some rebuild kits for them.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
+1 on the CProducts rebuild kits. I've got several of them from when I went through and rebuilt most of my mags. Mine were during their transition from Magpul followers to their own design (just a copy of the Magpul really) so I've got half of each. Haven't noticed any difference at all in terms of function and reliability between the two but every magazine got some new life breathed into them. Mags are XB3 items for a reason so stocking up on more is never a bad idea.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
It's the code for a consumable/expendable item; use until it falls apart basically. Field gear, uniforms, toilet paper, magazines, once it's purchased and issued it's considered non-returnable really (you can get it back into the system but it's a PITA and the unit loses on it), otherwise a unit's custodial account on equipment and such would be ten times greater than ginormous because every little click pen and post-it note would have to be accounted for and receipted when it was used and discarded. And before folks who haven't served get the idea of there not being accountability, it doesn't work that way! A unit doesn't just fill out a mythical supply slip and get their gear, they actually "buy" it out of their budget. The budget and its use are VERY accountable and each unit maintains their own inventory management of such things too. In all my units magazines were placed on a similar purchase schedule as the toilet paper and such, since they would eventually get used up, broken, run over, or what have you, we were always getting fresh replacements.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Well I just ordered my XCR. Looks like I'm gonna have wait for a long time but the good thing is I got a set of YHM flip up's for a 0 and a Magpul MOE milspec stock and pistol grip. If the 6.5 conversion kit was available I'd probably get that too. In the meantime I'll just keep stocking up on ammo. :(
Where are you located?
Doug's Shoot 'n' Sports has a bunch on the shelf. 1(801)966-1802

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Hi jawara, I'm down in Murfreesboro.

I recently bought some 5.56 c-products stainless steel mags. They've operated just fine so far, and they're not nearly as heavy as I thought they would be. I also have a couple of the Barrett 6.8 stainless mags now, first time I picked those up I had to check to see if they were loaded they felt so heavy. They're really nice mags, as long as I don't have to tote many of them very far.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 17 of 17 Posts