XCR Forum banner

How has your XCR performed from day one? Pick a description then a number that describes your overa

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, this is an official poll of XCR owners past and present. The only rules are that you must answer honestly, you must have actually OWNED the gun or ran it extensively (over 1K rounds would be fine).

You should pick two choices. FIRST pick the statement on top that most closely resembles your expereince with the gun. SECOND pick the rating that most closely reflects your overall satisfaction AND experience with the gun.

for example: if you really like the gun and think it's the perfect design (a '10'), BUT have had to send it in to the factory for a replacement gun (a '1') then your rating should balance the two and give a "5"

scientifically you'd rate it twice. Once on your impression or opinion of the gun and once on your actual experience then average the two numbers.

This is a chance for us to know how the gun actually should rate overall, and provide a survey of actual users and thier experiences.

Please be honest and realistic with your answers!!

thanks
Jack

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
[had to edit my original post]

only got about 600 rounds through mine but I voted anyways.

it has been perfect other than one LPS with one round of Wolf Ammo (and after the Bill Springfield Trigger Job). also after the trigger job I had pins walk out because the cotter pin fell off, don't know how the cotter pin could do this... but thanks to help from this forum, I was able to take apart the trigger and put the cotter pin back in.

I myself hate a 10 star ranking system, but I did give the XCR a 10. For me there should only be a 3 star system, and for that system I give the XCR a 3 star!
1 star - sucks
2 stars- decent, works, satisfied
3 stars - love it, awesome gun, could not be happier

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I voted for a 9. I've probably only fired about 400ish rounds in it and the only malfunction was an FTE on gas level 2 with silver bear. Not the guns fault!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have put atleast 6000 rounds through mine since I got it in April, I have had some issues that I have had to send the rifle back and have parts sent to me but I honestly believe that 95% of those problems were caused by me learning how to take care of the weapon and rifles in general. I am very pleased with my XCR I just wish that the match trigger would be out soon along with a 22LR kit

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've only put 690 rounds thru mine, but they've been flawless rounds. ;D

No trouble of any kind. 8)

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Yeah, I've got thousands each through two of mine. They're good.

The second one I put the Nord-Locks on the ejector bolts, but haven't run it hard enough since putting them in to make a 100% decision on 'em. Loctite has worked just fine on the first one in that application.

The old gas system was just fine, but I like the new system so much more that I retrofitted the new system onto the old stick.

There's only one reason I didn't give it a "Perfect" - that was 'cause I had to learn the peculiarities of the weapon. After I learned what needed to be torqued, how much, and what got loctite, everything has been IDEAL.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
As sure as I say this I will jinx myself. That said no problems with either the 5.56 or the 6.8. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I would rank my experience 92%

My first XCR had issues with the BHO and gen-1 gas block bolt falling off. Then I realized I knew nothing about the gun other than how to pull the trigger. Went home, took the whole gun apart, studied the design, and manual and put everything back together well torqued slightly overspec, and used loctite on anything I wanted held in place. That first XCR went on to serve me well without issue for approximately 10k rounds before it was traded off.

2nd XCR joined the family (Gen 2 gas block, all upgrades), took it to the range and the trigger was sticking and wouldn't reset. I kept shooting it, and the problem went away after a mag so. Since then it has been a real joy, and has gone on to become my favorite carbine of all time. I am going on my 5th ammo can and there has been no issue at all

There's only one reason I didn't give it a "Perfect" - that was 'cause I had to learn the peculiarities of the weapon. After I learned what needed to be torqued, how much, and what got loctite, everything has been IDEAL.
Funny you should say that. Alex mentioned people not putting time into learning the XCR's "peculiarities". I would say this is especially true of AR15 converts, who come into the situation with 50 years of AR15 tricks, tweaks and general weapon knowledge to handle just about any situation they might encounter on the line.

With the XCR on the other hand, if there is even the slightest blip, rookie XCR shooters will stand their dumbfounded and completely bewildered on how to handle the situation. Hell, far too many XCR owners don't even know how to shoulder the weapon from what I've seen, which tells me right off they aren't putting in the time to learn how to effectively operate the XCR and diagnose easily rectified hiccups, but are quick to bitch about the platform

This is a very common phenomena among pistol shooters who tend to think having a trigger makes all pistols the same, then wonder why they are limp wristing, cant double tap accurately, and their slide isn't locking back because their grip sucks on pistol A but works great on pistol B

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I hardly give anything a 10 and stand by that with the XCR. It is a solid 9 for me and my go to gun. I had a few problems with it when i first got it but those were corrected immediately (Pre Terra days even). Back in 2006 when I got mine they were still working out some little wrinkles and I was fully expecting some minor tweaks. They sent me a new trigger (one pull 2 shots) and upgraded the bolt (one pull 2 shots) after discussing with Alex what was going on with the gun. The only other issues I have had were operator induced.
For example, did you know that you can fire 5.56 ammo using the 6.8 bolt? Swapped everything but the bolt, went to shoot and I kept getting FTE, plus it was eating my brass wierd. No harm no foul, just felt stupid.

Overall, the XCR experience has been almost perfect.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
This is still a "new" platform especially compared to others,and as VB mentioned they all have their quirks and years of "what to do ifs".The XCR of course doesn't have the benefit of this and therefore has gotton some flak because some of the bugs that no one could foresee are being worked out.That's not a bad thing,because we have great customer service that goes above and beyond to help resolve any issue,and also as mentioned,any new system will undergo growing pains.
The bottom line here imho is that this is a great foundation.Meaning that this system has loads of potential,features,and pardon the pun,bang for the buck.I have no doubt that very soon in the future,as more and more people come to know this system,and the rifle is perfected,this may indeed be a force to be reckoned with.It might not reach AR-15 cult status,but anyones serious about their equipment will have to give it a look.
There will always be detractors,those who choose to bloviate there overbiased(for whatever reason) opinion to anyone who cares to listen,and to those who don't.This is neither the fault of the weapon itself or the manufacturer.
That said,I have never had a cartridge related failure to feed type of malfunction.The only time I had a failure to fire was when I tried to use an AR-15 match hammer spring,which didn't have enough ass to pop hard Russian primers.My fault entirely,put back old spring and it never happened again.The only other trouble I had was the trigger not resetting after firing,this was a break in deal,and after smoothing up the hook on the disconnecter by a touch with a fine file,it has been totally flawless ever since.I could have accomplished the same by dry firing I'm sure but I'm impatient and did it the quicker way.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I gave this rifle a 10. Yes I have had a couple of problems with it but it was the CS that boosted it up to a 10. The one big problem I had was FTE the case would get stuck and even pulling on the charging handle was hard. I was using both wolf and IMI SS109 ammo. I cleaned it multiple times and lubed it. Almost to the point of over lube (if their is such a thing). Still no luck. Then I got the new gas block. No luck at first. But with the help of Terra. The gas block was out of spec (just one of those that got by her). So this time I sent the barrel and gas block back to her. I don't know what she did. But whatever it was, did the trick. I have put about 1200rds through since then. Not one malfunction of any kind. On one occasion I put seven (7) 30rd mag through it in 45 min (Wolf). Yes, it was smokin. Then I put through another 100rds of SS109. Oh did I mention she had the barrel refinished for me. Thanks Terra.

I think the design is solid, with a lot of potential. And with the 6.8SPC and 7.62x39 and XCR-M it will have the real knockdown power that it is capable of. With the 5.56 NATO, it's like having a sports car (i.e. corvette) with a weak engine.

I wish we had an XCR in 30-06, but I'll take one in 7.62 NATO.

Jason

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I'm at around 850 rounds on mine... I've had it almost exactly a year. New gas system, bolt, etc. I've yet to touch the ejector bolts or gas block bolt. I had no malfunctions even durng break in. My trigger has never failed in any way, before or after the Springfield job. I've never had a light strike, and I shoot a little Silver Bear every range trip. I did have a failure to eject *one* time, well after break in... it was a round of Silver Bear on low gas setting... I consider that short stroke to be operator error.

My only ongoing issue/curiosity is that I punch primers with hot handloads. I am still testing to figure out whether this is an intesely rifle related thing or not. I suspect there is something to do with this rifle that causes the cookie-punch-primer-thing to present itself under certain circumstances, but that it will be able to be overcome by loading correctly. I believe the cookie punch happens at the conclusion of an extreme cratering event, where the primer goes so far into the FP channel that it is ripped off as the round is ejected. So far, I have never had and issue with any factory ammo. Silver Bear has zero crater to it. Win Q3131 had some mild cratering, but nothing that would come close to a cookie punch. So far my cookie punches have been localized to:

1) My handloads
2) WSRs
3) HOT loads. My mild plinking loads even with WSRs don't crater at all.

Overall my experience has been a 9; the primer thing is the only reason I don't give it a 10.

·
Registered
207 Posts
DAMN! I didn't pick the description, only the satisfactory level of 10.

I have nearly 10,000 trouble free rounds (of ANY kind) through my XCR in almost 3 years of ownership. No upgrades, no replaced parts, nothing. I checked my ejector bolts for the first time about 1000 rounds ago, and they were tight as could be. Nothing has loosened on the gun, and there is very minimal wear on the parts through the 10,000 rounds. It's been a dream. The vast majority of ammo has been WOLF, and the gas setting has been on 3 the entire time except for the first 1000 in which I kept it on 4.

Thanks for the A+++++ product Robinson Armament!

EDIT: I lied about nothing loosening up. The folder tension had to be tightened about 5000 rounds ago.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I am writing this from patrol rifle school and could not be happier with the setup. We have put nearly 2200 rounds through it in 4 days with probably another 300 to go tomorrow.

Being an instructor level class, they are forcing us to have malfunctions, so it is hard to say that the XCR is better than the AR platform. Second, all of the guys here are gun guys and they take care and know their weapons so they are in tip top shape. That said, at least one of the other guys was cussing his AR and feeling it should be able to go 1000 rounds without cleaning.

BTW I am the only one shooting wolf and all things are a wash for the most part. I have done a couple of mixed mags using a few rounds from everyone and no problems. By the end of yesterday, everyone's guns where getting sluggish and I turned up the gas and was back as good as new. The AR guys did not have the same option.

The slightly higher sight plane was actually a benefit when shooting with gas masks on. I could keep a much more normal firing position.

I did have a problem on day one in that my firing pin broke. The gun was still running and doing so safely, but would not strip the top two rounds from a fully loaded magazine. I down sized my mags by two and kept going. I found the problem on a break and swapped to my spare bolt. I called RA and had two firing pins in less than 24 hours, just in case. In talkiing with Terra they are aware of the problem and have taken steps to fix the problem. I am convinced.

Everyone at class was amazed at the level of CS and expressed that it was unlike any they have received. I wish it hadn't broke, but I was well taken care of. That's why you need a spare parts kit, regardless of which gun you run.

One of the guys shot mine and has been swearching RA's website asking me about options as he wants to buy one.

The ergo's work better and quicker for me than an AR. Doing somethings the way the instructors wanted, I had less steps than the AR guys. In clearing malfunctions, especially double feeds, it seems like there is more "room" in the XCR and my jams fell out as soon as I dropped the mag. The AR guys seemed to have to work harder to clear things up.

Detailed field stripping is awesome. We pushed the guns hard and I could completely disassemble the entire gun and service every part. I can do more, easier with an XCR, with respect to cleaning and maintenance.

The parts breakage doesn't bother me as I am an armorer for work and have had to fix AR's as well. Things break. Even with AR parts being more prevelant, it takes me longer to get them usually than it does for spares for the XCR. I also need to keep fewer spare parts on hand as there seems to be less on an XCR to maintain. Once they get the firing pins dialed in, it will be even better.

I am probably well north of 15 K rounds after this week and the finish looks just as good as it did right after break in.

I am anxoiusly awaiting an ambi mag release and the match trigger. We had to do close to 50 % of the week off hand and the only ambi part I am missing is the mag release. Using all the info I have learned here, I have worked on my trigger and am very pleased with it, although the first stage could be a little longer.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've had a ejector fall off during class, Alex got the part to me the next morning at 8:00 am via FedEx, put on the new parts with loc-tite and haven't had any problems since. I only put down 80%, due to tightening up stuff and needing tools. I wish it didn't need any tools at all, kind of like a big Glock or 1911, without the use of a bushing wrench. Other than that I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything else. Besides...it is one of the coolest rifle I've ever shot!

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have only run about 300 - 400 rounds through my XCR and the only failures i have had were due to using some old ammo. once sighted in (25 yard indoor range) i hit a 2" group very consisantly.
My friend that went with me is thinking of cleaning out some of his excess rifles to buy an XCR.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts