XCR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I get the new recoil buffer in? I took the lower off to send to Bill Springfield, and I found that the nipple had broken off the recoil buffer. Bill did a great job, and Terra sent me a new buffer( thumbs up to both of them!) I came home from vacation to find all the parts ready for reassembly, but I cant figure out how to get the new buffer in. Pushing on it just makes the nipple bend one way or the other, and I'm afraid I'll break the new one if I keep trying. I tried getting the blade of a screw driver in there to work the edges in, but I think there must be a trick-way too much frustration and potential for damage and injury the way I'm trying. Anyone (maybe RA staff) have a tip on how to get it done?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
They have a shitload of videos on the RA website. That or call Terra the Terror and she will help out. :2cents:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Figured it out-after 45 minutes of pushing, swearing and nearly losing fingers, the solution ended up being pretty simple. I ran a length of dental floss around the little stud and pulled it through from the back. Pushing only made it flatten out and get bigger, but doing it the right way was child's play. Lex, you might want to make this a sticky-maybe most of you would have figured it out quicker, but if it had happened in the middle of a class or something a five dollar part could have ruined a whole day. Even with the technique, you need dental floss or fishing line to get it done-if there is another technique, I would love to know what it is, but until then dental floss will become part of my feild repair kit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Johnny Mac.......
I just had a "buffer" blow on me and received two free from Tech H @ Robertson Arms........And your right ! What a hassle to get that little "NIP" in......

Just wanted to say THANKS for the UPDATE on using fishing line....one hell of an Idea....Will use that from now on.

Thanks again,

Falcon1

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I would say 10-15 feet is about optimum.Anything less and your asking for short stroking.As long as you're getting that type of ejection your gas setting is fine,if the gun doesn't cycle properly,turn it up,if your getting spent cases hitting the guy halfway on the other side of the firing line,turn it down a notch or two.You're looking for balance,if the gun is overcycling because it's overgassed it's hard on the buffer (and the rifle in the longterm), if it's undergassed it won't fully cycle.No rocket science here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts