XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Actually, I ran one of those on my XCR up until about 2 years ago. During the low-light portion of a course, I figured out that it didn't have enough umph in the way of range.

Something more 'directionalized' is called for IMO.

After that, I started trying lights just to see what I could find that would work. What I wound up with was a Tiablo A8 special edition with the 'one stage tactical forward clickie' (I had to learn to speak flashlight to get what I wanted - that means "like a Surefire" HA!).

These things pump out about 250 lumens, with great throw. Let's just say that anything I need to shoot at is lit up. They're STINGY on batteries too.

You can pick up the A9 now, the A8SE is long gone. The A8 was optimized for use with 18650 batteries - which I do use. They last just over 4 hours (!!!).

I got mine from Batteryjunction.com, but they're out of the lights themselves. They've still got the clickies though.... that and an A9 from ebay (note, I haven't bought anything from the hongkong sellers, and can't recommend them for that reason) would be well within your spending limit.

FWIW

·
Registered
704 Posts
I run a surefire G2 LEDwith a Z49 tailcap. I haven't found a limit to its performance yet within reasonable distances. We did have to clear a warehouse and some of the deep corners were over 100 yards and it couldn't quite reach that far. For a start, I think it is a good, reasonably affordable choice. I have played with the G3 and it wasn't worth the extra weight as I couldn't see an improvement in performance versus the LED G2.

I am looking at a 250+ Lumen drop in bulb from tacticalnightvision.com for $44.99. It should light up those long deep corners.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
The inter-agency training grounds has targets out to about 400.
We hit those at night. They're identifiable.

Proper light technique is a must, without doubt. With 250+ lumens on tap though, you can do anything (pretty much) with a carbine at night that you can do in the daytime.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I'm gonna pick one of these setups up one of these days to take a dedicated role on the xcr over my tlr1:

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=196

For all the home defense scenarios I can think of, this is plenty. If I was concerned with being in large outdoor spaces or clearing massive warehouses, I'd get a larger flashlight. However, an important consideration is if you're in your house in a smaller room or hallway and your night vision is adapted to the dark, firing up a flashlight that is too strong during a sweep can blind you almost as badly as the goblin on the other end of the beam...

To quantify that concern, lights over approximately 80 lumens can have that unwanted effect.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
YUP!
That's why I said that proper light technique was a must.

One of my instructors was a SWAT cop (before retirement) in a 'busy' neighborhood. When doing a houseclearing, he saw movement and lit it up.

It was a mirror.

He drilled proper light technique into us.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A big thanks for the great feedback. You guys are awesome. I ended up going with a Surefire 6PDL LED Defender along with a Danial Defense Offset Light Mount Pak.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Sounds like a good choice. Let me know how you like the DD light mount as I almost went with it, but I have become a Larue junky.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Bravo What mount are you using for your Tiablo ?

Would it work for the A9 ?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I ran a cheap-o aluminum 1" scope ring for a long time.

The ARMS #22L rings went out on me, so I sent them in for refurb. I'm not putting them back on a scope.
I'll get some ring reducers (30mm to 1") and mount the lights in there.

As for the A9, I certainly hope so. I've got one on order through (ugh!) Hong Kong. As of this time, I can't say - haven't done it yet, but it SHOULD work.

·
Registered
923 Posts

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Sounds good!

DX has a very "iffy" reputation. If they've got it in stock, they're quick and cheap. If they don't have it in stock, there are "problems".

Same with Botach Tactical.

Lemme know if you get yours in! I run mine on 18650 batteries, and they LAST. And the smooth reflector. Oh yeah, and you NEED the forward tactical clicky. They've got 'em at BatteryJunction.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Thanks for the advise on with on them and Botach tactical but it came a little late I ordered stuff from both of them today

I will let everyone know how it goes

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Botach hosed me on a uni-max laser. Sent me an e-mail saying it shipped and then a week later when no laser showed on my door step, I had to call them several times just to get someone to answer the phone. After about 30 minutes on hold, I was told it was back ordered and would be at least two weeks. Of course they had already charged my card. I quickly canceled....2 1/2 weeks later, about the time I was going to call my CC company and contest the charges, I got credited back. Botach is a horseshit operation and I will never do business with them again.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I got my sling mount from Botach Tactical yesterday

I still have not recieved the light from Deal Extreme nor have I recieved an email with shipping information

·
Registered
97 Posts
For those looking for a really bright light with a lot of throw, here's an idea. Go to eBay and find a Surefire 6p incandescent. I picked up 3 for $35.00 each recently, but they can almost always be found for less than $50.00. I then installed a Malkoff Devices drop in LED unit for $50. The Malkoff Devices LED is rated at 240 lumens for 90 minutes. I had a Daniel Defense offset flashlight mount which completes the package. Total cost $130.00.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I went with the Tiablo A9. It seems to be a lot of light for the money. Got 2 of them off ebay (seller: kit-tronics) for 65.00 each on the "make offer", with free shipping. Who knows, maybe he would sell them for less. I almost went for the Deal Extreme deal but they were out of stock and I've heard some bad storys about them. I'm a little concerned about my mounting options with the wider head on these so if anybody has any ideas or experience mounting these I'd love to hear about it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts