XCR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m picking up my 12” XCR-M 308 this afternoon and I’m curious as to what everyone uses for optics. I’m not looking to shoot long distance ( or whatever I could do with a 12” barrel) so I’m thinking that a eotech with magnifier may be what I’m leaning towards. What do you all think? Am I overthinking it? Should I just throw a rinky dink red dot and roll with it? Again it’s going to be for defense and range fun. Thanks and as soon as I get this beast in hand I will post pictures.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I started a similar thread recently so you might want to take a look. It’s hard to tell from your question how much experience you have with different optics systems. If not much, then it’s worth going to a store where you can actually look through various sights and scopes and see what the reticle looks like to your eyes. For instance, most (LED) red dots look like streaks to my (astigmatic) eyes, but Holosun does not. And I prefer the circle-dot reticles of Holosun and Eotech to the simple dots of other sights. For short barrel rifles where you want to have short and medium range capabilities, a circle dot really makes sense.
After looking at red dots and Eotech, consider looking at prism scopes. For me, the clarity of the image and sharpness of the reticle are of value.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I e been doing my research on the differences and I have an idea of what I’m going to go with but I was curious what other XCR owners used and if I’m headed in the right direction. I too have a astigmatism and it seems to me in my research that holographic sights are slightly better for us. Does the prism offer the same benefits? I also like the circle dot and the option of having a magnifier to throw to the side when not In Use. Thanks again for you input it is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
101 Posts
Prism or holo sights typically work better for people with eye issues. Prism with adjustable diopeter a bonus. If eotech get a 123 model. G43 magnifier eye box/relief is pretty good. Vortex uh1g2 also good unless you use night vision, no ir passthrough

·
Registered
110 Posts
There’s also a new Holosun coming out soon, I think. If you try the various options at a store you’ll see, though, that the prisms will be way sharper for astigmatism. Holographic reticles look good too, to the extent that holographic reticles ever look good (they are fuzzier generally). Holographic with magnifier seems to me to be the most flexible setup both in terms of eye relief (when running w no magnifier) and variable distance, but it’s a big chunky setup for sure compared to the simplicity of a small prism.
I am similarly trying to figure out what I most want on this XCR.

·
Registered
22,409 Posts
OP, how far out are you planning to take this .308. Granted, there aren't a lot of guys doing it, but it's capable of 500 yards....and if you are wanting that type of range, an LPVO makes the most sense.

If you're staying 300 and under....then you're wide open on choices.

Reactions: Northern

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan on keeping it at around d 300 yards but mostly way under. I thought about LPVO but I want the big area to look into for CQB. I’ve been thinking about a MRO but from what I understand when paired with a magnifier theoretical balloons up to 4 MOA but the holo stays the same. There are so many options and their specific ups and downs it makes this decision very complicated. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I plan on keeping it at around d 300 yards but mostly way under. I thought about LPVO but I want the big area to look into for CQB. I’ve been thinking about a MRO but from what I understand when paired with a magnifier theoretical balloons up to 4 MOA but the holo stays the same. There are so many options and their specific ups and downs it makes this decision very complicated. Thanks to all.
I'd pass on the MRO, it's really not that great of a red dot. Don't fall for the FoV claims, you should be shooting both eyes open with a dot anyway. My personal level of astigmatism still allows me to use a traditional dot, so I'd look at getting a t2 with a riser+magnifier, or stacking it on top of/beside a mid-power (non-lpvo) optic.
My setup is a 4-16x ATACR with a t2 on top. It's a little tall, but I've got a pretty big head, so the t2 is at a nice heads-up level with the ATACR having a comfortable cheekweld. This is with a 16" barrel, but I intend on keeping it the same when I go down to 13". I wouldn't mind trading some magnification for weight, because the ATACR is a heavy bitch, but I can't find anyone who makes a lower mag, non-lpvo scope in the same quality band.

Tl;dr: Get a dot and a scope, 12" .308 is still good out to 600yd. Alternatively, acog+rmr or similar.

·
Registered
95 Posts
so I’m thinking that a eotech with magnifier may be what I’m leaning towards.
I have an astigmatism as well. Red dots generally don't work for me. In fact, some inexpensive ones look better than some expensive ones. I personally go with holographic for no magnification. My favorite holographic sight is the Mepro M21. However, the magnifier that can be paired with it results in a blurry and shifting graphic. If you're going to go with a fixed power magnification, then I'd highly recommend an ACOG. The ACOG's clarity is great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts