XCR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mainly talking on the M.....

I've got both....in .308.

Type 3 mini gas system on a 12"; Type 2 on a 16" stnd.

I haven't really shot the 12" for accuracy and don't know when I'll be able to....but am thinking of picking up a 18.6" bbl in 6.5CM and/or .308 and am debating which will be more accurate. Kind of leaning towards the Type 2 since I've shot a few ragged hole groups with it.

Anyone have opinions who've shot both? Thinking theoretically, the short stroke Type 2 should have less mass so could be more accurate, but really prefer the simplicity of the Type 3.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wish there was a finer adjustment on the type 2 between settings 2 and 3. 3 is too much, but 2 doesn't lock back on steel case or 147s. Maybe mine just needs break in. I'm just used to the type 3 being super soft on the L.

I don't know if there's less moving mass since the oprod is just a couple inches shorter on the type 2. My 20" std is very accurate, I'm shooting 1.5" with 168smk and 147s prone. I can't wait to bench it and get a proper zero.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish there was a finer adjustment on the type 2 between settings 2 and 3. 3 is too much, but 2 doesn't lock back on steel case or 147s. Maybe mine just needs break in. I'm just used to the type 3 being super soft on the L.

I don't know if there's less moving mass since the oprod is just a couple inches shorter on the type 2. My 20" std is very accurate, I'm shooting 1.5" with 168smk and 147s prone. I can't wait to bench it and get a proper zero.
Any particular reason you went 20" and heavy for the bbl? I'm debating the extra 1.4" of length and it seems like you're losing almost nothing per inch (you lose 30-65 fps by going from an 18" to a 16" bbl in .308).

Heavy should take longer to heat up, but I'm not sure I want to carry around the extra weight. Obviously, everything's a trade off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mainly talking on the M.....

I've got both....in .308.

Type 3 mini gas system on a 12"; Type 2 on a 16" stnd.

I haven't really shot the 12" for accuracy and don't know when I'll be able to....but am thinking of picking up a 18.6" bbl in 6.5CM and/or .308 and am debating which will be more accurate. Kind of leaning towards the Type 2 since I've shot a few ragged hole groups with it.

Anyone have opinions who've shot both? Thinking theoretically, the short stroke Type 2 should have less mass so could be more accurate, but really prefer the simplicity of the Type 3.
I currently have a Type 2 16" and will have a Type 3 13" once RobArm gets done with the 'proof of concept' upper you sent my way, so I'll be able to give my 0.02 once that ordeal is over. I mostly keep mine at setting 3, and it's pretty soft with the brake I have on it. I bump it up to 4 for steel case or m80, generally, since I've had occasional short stroking on the last round in a mag. Setting 2 cycles most things, but I don't get LRBHO.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mostly because it was 1700. If I was going to order one I'd probably have gone mini pistol 14.5" 308 and 18" 6.5. Pistol only to have barrel flexibility going forward. /ot
Ah....you bought the one that went up for sale here a while back? Makes total sense.

Yeah, I'd eventually like to build a 14.7" with the competition upper....just because, but definitely want to see how this whole brace thing shakes out first.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I currently have a Type 2 16" and will have a Type 3 13" once RobArm gets done with the 'proof of concept' upper you sent my way, so I'll be able to give my 0.02 once that ordeal is over. I mostly keep mine at setting 3, and it's pretty soft with the brake I have on it. I bump it up to 4 for steel case or m80, generally, since I've had occasional short stroking on the last round in a mag. Setting 2 cycles most things, but I don't get LRBHO.
What's RA doing to it (besides, IIRC....cerakote)? That was a VERY rough machine job....hopefully they'll clean it up a bit. It was done with an end mill in a regular old drill press in the hokiest jig/vice set up I can recall....but it cut the groove, which is all that mattered in the end. The one I did on my KM upper came out better, largely b/c I perfected the technique (as much as was possible in such a janky set up)....same with the angle cut for accessing the gas dial.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What's RA doing to it (besides, IIRC....cerakote)? That was a VERY rough machine job....hopefully they'll clean it up a bit. It was done with an end mill in a regular old drill press in the hokiest jig/vice set up I can recall....but it cut the groove, which is all that mattered in the end. The one I did on my KM upper came out better, largely b/c I perfected the technique (as much as was possible in such a janky set up)....same with the angle cut for accessing the gas dial.
I'm asking them to grind it back to the next 12 o'clock pic rail 'tooth' for aesthetics, but whoever answers their [email protected] email is giving me the runaround about how it won't work, and this and that. I should've found a local guy to do the grinding and just sent it to them after for cerakote.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm asking them to grind it back to the next 12 o'clock pic rail 'tooth' for aesthetics, but whoever answers their [email protected] email is giving me the runaround about how it won't work, and this and that. I should've found a local guy to do the grinding and just sent it to them after for cerakote.
Yeah, they told me the same thing about the whole project. "Not possible" "Can't be done". My guess is you're talking to Alex himself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, they told me the same thing about the whole project. "Not possible" "Can't be done". My guess is you're talking to Alex himself.
I'm not so sure, because I talked to Alex on the phone before I even sent the thing in, and he told me it was doable. Whoever I'm talking to told me it wouldn't work because that part of the upper "supports the barrel." This doesn't make the slightest bit of sense, because for one, the barrels are free-floated, unless I'm mistaken, and for two, there's going to be more 'supportive' material out in the front of a cut-down Standard upper than a Mini one anyway.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So are you wanting a straight cut/90° to the top picatinny rail? From looking at pics of mine, which is pretty similar to what yours is, cutting straight down to the next tooth will probably bleed into the vent holes in the upper itself. Perhaps that's whatever 'tech' is talking about....but you're right; none of that supports or even touches the bbl.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So are you wanting a straight cut/90° to the top picatinny rail? From looking at pics of mine, which is pretty similar to what yours is, cutting straight down to the next tooth will probably bleed into the vent holes in the upper itself. Perhaps that's whatever 'tech' is talking about....but you're right; none of that supports or even touches the bbl.
Nah, I want to keep the angled cut for looks, and to preserve 3/6/9 railspace, I sent them a quick and dirty MS paint mockup of what I wanted to do, using my current upper as an example, so maybe that's where the misunderstanding arose from. Either way, I'm probably going to have to get it done myself and then ship it back to them afterward, unless I get a better response from them soon. I figured this whole thing would've been painless, but it's starting to give me a bit of a headache, lol.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nah, I want to keep the angled cut for looks, and to preserve 3/6/9 railspace, I sent them a quick and dirty MS paint mockup of what I wanted to do, using my current upper as an example, so maybe that's where the misunderstanding arose from. Either way, I'm probably going to have to get it done myself and then ship it back to them afterward, unless I get a better response from them soon. I figured this whole thing would've been painless, but it's starting to give me a bit of a headache, lol.
Welcome to dealing with RA, lol. Good folks, but they sure make things more complicated than you'd first think.

Good luck!

Reactions: ThoughtPatrol
1 - 13 of 13 Posts