XCR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,875 Posts
Mickey C, i yell "bang", or "bang bang" for the DT.

before my friend and i shoot we have a drill to wear ourselves out first.

we put up 5 target stands, w/ 2 targets per stand, and spread them out pretty good. Targets are #'d 1-5 w/ A & B target per stand. so if your a bird looking at our range, and imagine that roughly its 60-70 yards between 1 and 5, and then you have designated shooting boxes, #'d appropriately

so row 1 is targets, and the numbers below are the designated boxes, keep in mind this is next to a creek and a draw, so there is uphill/downhill elevation changes, trees in the way, and cover to use, negotiate. The route from one box to the next is up to the shooter, so its up to the director to keep the shooter challenged by coming up with difficult transitions between boxes.

1 2 3 4 5
AB AB AB AB AB

4 5

OK, if this has worked you should now have a basic idea, and the drill is, you have to shoot from the box # which corresponds to the target # unless otherwised directed.

now, you get out the stop watch, and hit go, for 5 minutes at a time its a 100 mph drill (w/ empty mags)

I.e.

GO!!!!!!!

"GIMME 2 on 4a"

--run as fast as you can, with the barrell ALWAYS GLUED TO THE DIRT directly off your reaction side, safety on, and finger not on the trigger. get to box 4, square up, manipulate safety, focus on sight picture, yell "BANG BANG" while gently touching the trigger twice. About the time you're indexing the safety again, the director/range master should be yelling something like

"GIMME 2 on 1b prone"

so with your safety back on, barrell again glued to the ground on your reaction side, you run like people are dying to box 1, go prone CORRECTLY, manipulate the safety on the way down, get your sight picture, yell "bang" and recover while getting on that safety again.

there should never be a lull, and for mechanics, you gotta have someone watching you who is committed to making you better, they have to catch it when you're not square, when your grip and body position are unacceptable, when you fail to index the safety properly in between shots, if you're finger is on the trigger any time other than when you're yelling "bang" etc. You will only develop habits as good as the person instructing/watching you.

you can then get creative giving directions in groups "GIMME 3 on 4b from 1 prone, 2 on 4A kneeling" and believe me, 1:30 in, strings of instructions get fuzzy in the midst of everything else you're thinking about.

My friend was the first one to yell "DOUBLE FEED" in the midst of a run, and we immediately began throwing in malfunctions after that. Just practicing this drill lead to a very noticable drop in the time it took to react to an actual malfunction during live fire*****(if you want to practice double feeds during live practice, get some sig-sauer factory magazines, the polymer one's with the couplers...they work great for getting consistent malfunctions)

to make it easy, switch off with you're partner, you run one, and then let him/her run one, so you get 5 minute or so recoveries. Really wanna see what kind of habits you have when the chips are down? run 10 of these drills with 1 minute recoveries in between. 60 yards can turn into a mile, and if your the kind of individual that can really dig, you may wind up goin prone while dodgin some hurl. But hey, these drills are only as real as you make em. Imagine what ever you gotta, but find that hustle. You'll get out of this drill exactly what you put into it. If you just saunter around, its not tough. But start going for it, and it gets intense.

You'll also notice that if you practice like this, and throw in some pushups and pull ups in between, you'll get used to manipulating everything tired, winded, and with your muscles drained, and then shootin normally gets reeeeal easy. You startin throwin down on these drills where you can put together 5 crisp minutes, sharp transitions, always on that safety, and fast clear sight pictures, and a couple'a 90 rounds of live fire is cake. (but then take a minute to remember those boys in mogadishu that fought a 48 hour running battle outta that city.....)

After just 3 sessions w/ these dry fire drills, my live fire accuracy and speed had dramatically increased, right now were working on shooting on the move, and "check/clear" drills.

** a side note, we immediately noticed when we began experimenting with different drills, that the moment you get tired, or winded, you will revert back to the last level of competency you mastered, you're grip and stance are the first things to go, which are arguably the most critical. So if you practice like this, i gotta re-iterate, do it with someone that will check you hard, you'll only be as good as what they find acceptable.

· Registered
4,875 Posts
to tack on a tidbit (since this was about reloading *shakes head* not shooting drills) with what VB is saying, rememeber to stay in firing position, give the rifle a good crank 90 degrees counter clockwise (for right handers) this will aid in extraction, but will not aid in retention, unless you're quick with your left hand.

· Registered
4,875 Posts
you'd think that.....but its not really so.

moving with a weapon is a whole different ball game.

moving with a weapon while maintaining precision shot placement, proper weapon control, and peripheral awareness is a different sport.

moving like it matters(like your ass is on fire)while demonstrating correct mechanics and good shot placement is an art form.

JMO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.