XCR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was over seas a few years ago in with the little down time I had I spent reading a book I had picked up on reloading, fully intent on getting into it when I got home. I assume that a good number of people here probably load there own, especially with rounds like the 6.5. So I was wondering what type of set ups some of the reloader here have. Where do you guys get your brass and how many times do you reload it? Does anyone here make their own alloys? I still intend to get into it, hopefully in the not to distant future.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I started about a year ago with just a Lee hand press. It worked out great but about 2 months ago I thought I would graduate to bench and all. I don't cast my own bullets and don't know if I ever plan to. I still have not bought a manual yet. ;D I learned everything I needed to know on youtube and the internet, and all the spec sheets I also got online.

Here is my current set up. Still got the Lee handpress, but also added a Lee Classic and Hornady LNL

Lee ball cutter and drill is working ok for me as of now. Someday I plan to invest in a Giraud trimmer though.

My tumbling area

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice. I had myself a copy of the Lee Modern Reloading Manual, since I got home though I have no idea what happened to it. I have a feeling some one used it as toilet paper across the pond...

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Started with a RCBS RC single stage press from a yard sale. Cranked out several thousand rounds of various calibers on it. Had a couple Lee Loadmaster progressives (pistol only, never did rifle on those) for a few years and then got a Dillon 1050.

For dies, carbide of course for pistol, and you'll never be wrong. I use Lee for those. Rifle dies, most are about equal although I do like Redding as you can replace the expander ball with a floating carbide one from Sinclair. Hornady makes something similar to retrofit an RCBS die. The carbide expander isn't better really, just helps make it a little easier. Dillon makes a carbide .223 die set, little pricey at $100+ but really like it after using it on the 1050. It all boils down to preference really. If you take care of your dies and clean 'em out they'll last a good long while.

For components I always buy in bulk to save a little money. Sure it costs more up front, but when compared to say, a box of 100 bullets, the savings can be a few to several dollars per. GI Brass, Wideners, Midway, Pats Reloading whatever I'm looking for. Speaking of Wideners, 6000 Hornady 55gr FMJ bullets with free shipping for $400. Good buy. Right now have a mess of Wolf and CCI primers. I've always heard Federal primers were more sensitive to semi-autos but have never tried it.

MickeyC has got a neat set up. Maybe he'll swing by and post another pic or two. I have to find my camera when I get home.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I've been handloading since about the turn of the year. Right now my setup is still on a B&D Workmate, as I knew I was going to move shortly after acquiring it. I am planning to set up a nice bench like Cartman's as soon as I get around to painting my gun room :).

Here was my press when I first unpacked it and bolted it to the workmate (before mounting the dies obviously):

Here is the rest of my initial gear purchase shortly after taking it out of the box from Midway:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Here you go

M118, regarding primers I have found that CCI are reasonably soft and work with light hammer strikes much more reliably than Winchester etc.. I have a few friends who I load match ammo for and they use 1911s with light triggers/hammers etc and CCI has been 100% for them.

When I load, I usually set out to do 1000 at a time. It's just easier. Also M118 is right, buy in bulk it is definately cheaper. Don;t get too excited about Dillon throughput estimates. They are easy to hit with pisotol ammo but you'll tend to be slower with rifles. Also take your time, smooth is fast and consistent.

My reloading bench. Dillon 650s, one for small and one for large primers. Caliber changes now take less than 5 minutes. I use a Forrester Co-Ax for .338 Lapua and .303. For anything really accurate I also use a DPSII scale and then seat bullets on either the Dillon or Co-Ax. Set up correctly I have got .25" groups using a .308 and the Dillon using it's own powder measure, seater etc.. Just take your time and use powder that the Dillon can measure accurately e.g. AA2520. For 4895 loads in the 30-06 I use the DPS to measure powder and get better consistency. I find the Dillon is great on spherical and flake but not so good at extruded powders.

This is next to the bench where I store brass, powder (in the green ammo boxes and yes they are full) and the case cleaner.

Spare brass gets stored wherever I have space. It can be tough as I tend to buy Brass in lots of at least 1000. Last purchase was three thousand 5.56 and three thousand 7.62x51. I prefer NATO cases as they can take higher pressure and last longer. For accuracy I really like Lapua, Norma (.338 LM) and Remmington Match brass (308 and 30.06). For pistol brass I use Winchester Match Brass for competition and anything else for plinking.

Ammo closet, a bit low as we had friends over and shot just under 4000 rounds prior to this picture.

7.62x51 (.308) using 168 grain Sierra MatchKing in Remmington Match Brass at 100 yards.

Group measured center to center. Shot off a sandbag, seated. If you take your time you can load match equivalent ammunition. You can also tune loads to the rifle you shoot. I have a friend with a Pre 64 winchester Model 70. Federal 30.06 Match makes groups around an inch. By refining a load we have got down to 0.6 of an inch. Just learn, take your time and experiment. But do it safely.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Nice setup Micky. I have had my Dillon 650 for almost 2 years. I built a real nice bench for it but after moving this last time I never had the chance to set up the reloader. As soon as i get back from Iraq I plan on getting to it.

Thanks for posting about the 5.56 bullets, I may hae to get some.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
very nice micky!

when i grow up and old i hope to have a set up like that.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Nice set up Mickey. I am a "clutter fuck", so mine looks pretty much the same. That's if you stack a lot of stuff around. :duh:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I must have 20,000 cases stacked here and there. Space is always a bit of an issue. Ever time I start a new caliber my wife cringes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts