XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the A2 grip to install a new one and a couple problems.

I cannot for the life of me install the new grip, the amount of torque needed is insane.
now the safety and trigger is messed up, safety is loose.

·
Registered
21,970 Posts

I cannot for the life of me install the new grip, the amount of torque needed is insane.
What do you mean the "amount of tq needed"? For the single screw that holds it in place? If it's that hard to turn, you have cross-threaded it.

Or...are you trying to install it with a long "allen" with the short end for leverage? If so, take an appropriately sized socket and extension and place it over the short end to actually get it "tight". Obviously, don't do that if you think it's cross-threaded.

No idea why your safety and trigger are messed up. There's no reason for those to have been tampered with to install a new grip.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
after going at it for 2 hours, finally got the new grip seated properly, safety selector is working now too and it properly dry fires.

·
Registered
21,970 Posts
after going at it for 2 hours, finally got the new grip seated properly, safety selector is working now too and it properly dry fires.
Out of curiosity: Did you end up re-using the factory screw?

·
Registered
21,970 Posts
yeah, but only cause the allen key i had could get more torque than my screwdriver
According to Nate above....the thread is coarser than a typical AR thread. Whenever I swap grips, I use the one in the gun already. I wonder what reasoning would be behind a coarser thread in the first place for this application.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
yeah, but only cause the allen key i had could get more torque than my screwdriver
According to Nate above....the thread is coarser than a typical AR thread. Whenever I swap grips, I use the one in the gun already. I wonder what reasoning
would be behind a coarser thread in the first place for this application.
Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I still remember the time I tried to install a new grip on my L with the provided (by the grip manufacture) screw, and proceeded to mess up my lower. Definitely stick with the Rob Arms screw. If memory serves this is just a thing with the XCR-L and not the M but it's best to stick with the factory screw.

·
Registered
23 Posts

What grip did you try to install?

I would like to install a Magpul grip (that comes with storage) or another aftermarket rubberized grip compatible with AR-15s. Aside from reusing the factory screw, is the XCR-L compatible with aftermarket pistol grips?

·
Registered
21,970 Posts
What grip did you try to install?

I would like to install a Magpul grip (that comes with storage) or another aftermarket rubberized grip compatible with AR-15s. Aside from reusing the factory screw, is the XCR-L compatible with aftermarket pistol grips?
Yes. Any AR15 grip should fit....just make sure you use the factory screw.

Reactions: RobertSlaughter

·
Registered
21,970 Posts
....fuckin' Alex......
Yeah...not sure of the reasoning behind this. Maybe he feels that in tapped aluminum, the additional thread depth of a coarse thread is less likely to strip and might get a better bite into the 7075? Otherwise, why not go with the industry standard?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I talked to the original engineer (Forgot his name) asked him why he did not use the original thread of the AR15 lowers.....he looked at me and replied that he did not know it was different......I suggested he change it (Maybe to late).....my guess he never brought it up to Alex....in retrospect I should have mentioned it to Alex also

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I talked to the original engineer (Forgot his name) asked him why he did not use the original thread of the AR15 lowers.....he looked at me and replied that he did not know it was different......I suggested he change it (Maybe to late).....my guess he never brought it up to Alex....in retrospect I should have mentioned it to Alex also
Would have been f'ing awesome if you did chang his mind to use the AR screw..... safety and trigger too.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Would have been f'ing awesome if you did chang his mind to use the AR screw..... safety and trigger too.

This.....more than once I've looked at that lower wondering how he missed this.....not that the upgraded trigger isn't decent but....would have been soooo easy on us.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I thought that I recalled reading way back that the trigger needed to be "shorter" than a standard AR trigger to fit the lower... but the grip screw seems like a straight up mistake.

Reactions: Sean K.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts