XCR Forum banner

Removed the grip and cannot install a new one

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  mjorin 
#1 ·
I removed the A2 grip to install a new one and a couple problems.

I cannot for the life of me install the new grip, the amount of torque needed is insane.
now the safety and trigger is messed up, safety is loose.

#3 ·
What do you mean the "amount of tq needed"? For the single screw that holds it in place? If it's that hard to turn, you have cross-threaded it.

Or...are you trying to install it with a long "allen" with the short end for leverage? If so, take an appropriately sized socket and extension and place it over the short end to actually get it "tight". Obviously, don't do that if you think it's cross-threaded.

No idea why your safety and trigger are messed up. There's no reason for those to have been tampered with to install a new grip.

#9 ·
According to Nate above....the thread is coarser than a typical AR thread. Whenever I swap grips, I use the one in the gun already. I wonder what reasoning would be behind a coarser thread in the first place for this application.

#12 ·
I still remember the time I tried to install a new grip on my L with the provided (by the grip manufacture) screw, and proceeded to mess up my lower. Definitely stick with the Rob Arms screw. If memory serves this is just a thing with the XCR-L and not the M but it's best to stick with the factory screw.

#17 ·
I talked to the original engineer (Forgot his name) asked him why he did not use the original thread of the AR15 lowers.....he looked at me and replied that he did not know it was different......I suggested he change it (Maybe to late).....my guess he never brought it up to Alex....in retrospect I should have mentioned it to Alex also

#21 ·
Alex had mentioned liking the "shorter" lower of the xcr.

I'm not a machinist and barely got an engineering degree 20 years ago.... but it looks like approx .25" would have allowed AR trigger usage. I haven't looked in awhile but I think the centers for the pins and safety are very close to the AR layout. Xcr has a larger diameter barrel for the safety.

It seems like it would have been so easy. So many more doors opened up.

I'd drop high hundreds for a xcr lower that took AR parts with the pic rail built in for stock attachment.

Then do it again for one that to ak74 mags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.