XCR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a few hydraulic stickies in the chamber today. The thing just would not let the bolt cycle after I got into about 200 rounds of 75gr. wolf.
So, finally, after 3100 (ish) rounds, I got a casing stuff in the chamber. :-\

Reluctantly, and lazily and dragged my lazy butt home, removed the casing with the cleaning rod and soft mallet hammer; and then, lazily and negligently proceeded to actually, for the first time run a brush and patches in the chamber. >:D

Using an M16 brush, I pulled out an horrid amount of crud that looked likea cross between asphalt and oil.

I must confess publically. I know this has to offend some, if not all the more avid rifle enthusiasts! So, please forgive my hick'ish ways.

I wrote all that to say: WHAT A RIFLE! Really! I've cleaned the rifle to a degree... some, well a couple times I guess. >:D

Really, other than AKs, where else are you going to get a rifle my hick hands and have it survive as long as it has!! :D

Just two weeks ago I mistightend the gas valve after changing it, walla! I created large gap in the notch on setting two. THE THING STILL RAN! with the valve twisted, not giving the proper amount of gas while shooting wolf! (thanks Magikbullet for a replacement on the way)

Again, for those who never shoot, and just stuff your XCR in the safe; I am sorry, really. I'm not trying to kill it. I just love it to death!

So, lesson learned. The lesson? This rifle RUNS!

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Mettle, I hate to say this, but there are only a couple of reasons for that......

Wolf ammo or too much lube in the chamber.

If you want to go back several years in time - and on an old site I used to moderate - you'll see posts from then where I long-passed the 3K mark without cleaning or lube. Documented as I went - and those old posts were the reason some here bought their first XCRs. Those posts / tests were with my first XCR, using Winchester white-box ammo IIRC.

I've never hit the technical "must clean" point with my XCR, but it's significantly past where you said. That is, if you use good ammo and don't overlube ;D

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Ammo is the biggest issue,Wolf while dirty don't have anything on some Indian surplus 7.62x51 ammo I've ran through my PTR-91,that stuff was sludge.It wasn't overlubricated either,it was just some of the stickiest burnt powder residue I've ever came across.While the rifle didn't malfunction,I couldn't blame it if it had.It had the funkiest damn smell too,not like normal gunpowder.it was tarlike in appearance when I removed it from the chamber,disgusting stuff.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
the xcr will go for an obnoxiously long time on brass ammo. wolf's lacquer gums up a chamber eventually with enough use, but that's no shocker. glad your rifle is getting a workout!

Ammo is the biggest issue,Wolf while dirty don't have anything on some Indian surplus 7.62x51 ammo I've ran through my PTR-91,that stuff was sludge.It wasn't overlubricated either,it was just some of the stickiest burnt powder residue I've ever came across.While the rifle didn't malfunction,I couldn't blame it if it had.It had the funkiest damn smell too,not like normal gunpowder.it was tarlike in appearance when I removed it from the chamber,disgusting stuff.
I'll second that. The hk91 platform combined with a steady diet of paki crap and south african surplus is one filthy sumbitch.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
My guns always get cleaned after they are fired. My only exception was my Glock 22 where I shot about 100 rounds out of it and went a few months without cleaning it.

My rifles always get cleaned.
I too always clean my guns after a shoot. That's just what I do. I guess I will never know how many rounds my firearms can shoot before malfunctioning. One thing I do know though. They work when I need them. I don't trust Murphy.

SheepDog :2rifle:

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I'll second that. The hk91 platform combined with a steady diet of paki crap and south african surplus is one filthy sumbitch.
That dang fluted chamber is a bitch too.That stickyass stuff is a royal P.I.T.A to get out of them!!

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
My guns always get cleaned after they are fired.
I do too - for the most part.

The thing is, nobody knows what a new design will do until it's tested. You have to remember, my first XCR was the 5th serial number to leave the factory. First shipment in the first batch (of 500)..... it needed "validation".

I don't ever personally trust a design until it's been wrung out by ME. After that, all others of the same design just need verification - that verification takes less than a case of ammo typically.

For whatever reason, I always get a laugh out of people that say "I'll trust this with my life", when they don't have the experience to back it up. Will it fire when dirty? Not lubed? How about in the sand? What about the cold / snow? Wanna know if it'll work when HOT? Put 400 rounds through it in less than 5 minutes. Now you KNOW. Anything else is "I think".

Testing. That's what I do. And I documented what I was doing as I did it.........

Once it was KNOWN how the XCR would work, then they were cleaned every time out. More or less :D Ditto for the pistols, shotguns, etc.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
the xcr will go for an obnoxiously long time on brass ammo. wolf's lacquer gums up a chamber eventually with enough use, but that's no shocker. glad your rifle is getting a workout!

Not just dirty, but I bought 500 rounds of .308 several years ago and just got around to shooting from it recently. It did not perform well at all. I did some searches on the internet after I had a few issues, and discovered I had a batch that was being blamed for all kinds of nasty things including some double powder loads. Don't ever buy any Indian .308 ammo stamped OFV 98 for anything more than parts.

Half of them wouldn't fire because the primers were seated too deeply, the firing pin couldn't hit it. Once I got to looking at them I noticed a great deal of inconsistency in the seating of the primers (crooked, deep, shallow...) and the bullets, as well as the powder charge. I ended up giving them to a friend of mine that reloads to pull apart.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please understand; I did not post this to say 'I've fired SO many rounds'. I posted this to say 'RA makes good stuff'!

This rifle has survived me, my inexperience with ARs, and my 'tighten too much' ways!

I am just amazed, that is all. I have since stripped it down to virtually nothing lubed in the action since Bravo's first post response made me think I had too much in there.

Perhaps it's just time to run it with bare minimum to see how it does? Back to the range with some more wolf and a new Miculek muzzle brake to see how it does with 'little' lubrication.

Awesome rifle! Good forum! = good times!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.