XCR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
I would love to find an 18” bbl or upper to convert one of my XCRs to a varmint killer...very nice rifle sir!
Not to throw you off your quest, but if you have a 16"....I might suggest a little ammo shoot out to 500 yards. You may find yourself pleasantly surprised. (I'm assuming we're both talking about 556...if not, disregard.)

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
The wife and I have a couple 16” light bbl XCRs...always wondered what an 18” heavy might do to tighten things up a bit at 400-600 meters.
You'll gain a bit of velocity from the extra length but all things equal the Hbar will just stay tighter (with respect to what the barrel is capable of) for longer.

What are your L's doing at that range?

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
10-15” groups at 500meters from a bag or bipod using Hornady ammo.
That's about what I'd expect. What's the best those hornady's do at 100?

When I started trying out different ammo I had some very surprising results out of a few barrels. 75 grain match not doing very well and 55's doing fantastically. I had one barrel that dumped wolf 55's into a dime size group....yeah, explain that.

It may be worth it to have a little ammo shoot out with some varying weights just to find out. Idiosyncrasy is a running component with the XCR. Although the later guns got some things ironed out those of us who got in early were never short on surprises or learning experiences. Just ask Sean to explain how him and Alex became besties.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Anyone know who makes barrels for RA? or is it done in-house? I've always wondered if better accuracy could be had if the barrel was made by one of the better known value AR barrel manufacturers out there (Faxon, Aero, etc.). Or, if accuracy is more inherent to the way the barrely, any barrel, is connected to the receiver.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
That's about what I'd expect. What's the best those hornady's do at 100?

When I started trying out different ammo I had some very surprising results out of a few barrels. 75 grain match not doing very well and 55's doing fantastically. I had one barrel that dumped wolf 55's into a dime size group....yeah, explain that.

It may be worth it to have a little ammo shoot out with some varying weights just to find out. Idiosyncrasy is a running component with the XCR. Although the later guns got some things ironed out those of us who got in early were never short on surprises or learning experiences. Just ask Sean to explain how him and Alex became besties.
Amen on different ammo types. I've seen it in the XCR and the AR. For whatever reason specific barrels like/don't like certain rounds. When I did my odyssey with my M, I tried as many different kinds as I could.

Anyone know who makes barrels for RA? or is it done in-house? I've always wondered if better accuracy could be had if the barrel was made by one of the better known value AR barrel manufacturers out there (Faxon, Aero, etc.). Or, if accuracy is more inherent to the way the barrely, any barrel, is connected to the receiver.
No clue but it seems like barrels are consistently the "choke point" for getting rifles in a timely manner. Alex has said on several occasions over the phone that they use "good" blanks. From what I can figure out... it seems like they've got ONE barrel guy that seems to be over worked/behind schedule. It'd be awesome if someone else picked up making barrels for the XCR. Accuracy is hit or miss(sorry, couldn't think of a different term) with the XCRs. Not sure if it's the barrels themselves, the attachment system or the platform. I've never expected my XCR to shoot as well as an AR.

ETA: as far as I know, aero uses Ballistic Advantage barrels. I believe they're owned by the same group. Interestingly, me going direct to BA got me way better pricing on barrels than through Aero. BA has sourced their barrels to some others as well. I'm pretty confident DSG arms is using them for their stuff and I swear I've seen their specs on some other sites, not under the BA name, as well. It's funny you mention Faxon. I remember a Forum member telling me to check them out the first time I went to SHOT in 2013. They were just getting the ARAK out and were actually willing to talk to me, even though I had NO clout what so ever. They've come a long way and I really like some of their barrel offerings. I have hoped RA would/could grow the way Faxon did.

·
Registered
23,251 Posts
I've *heard* that the bbls for the XCR are actually made by ER Shaw, but b/c RA is so low volume, they are last in line in terms of getting bbls made and only when ER Shaw doesn't have a backlog of other bbls to make for ARs and such. Don't know how true this is, but IIRC, Bravo was told this by Alex and I think even Kermit confirmed. Don't take it as gospel though...it's been years; RA could have changed vendors by now or I could be mis-remembering.

Reactions: fmunk
1 - 18 of 18 Posts