XCR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,875 Posts
I would love to find an 18” bbl or upper to convert one of my XCRs to a varmint killer...very nice rifle sir!
Not to throw you off your quest, but if you have a 16"....I might suggest a little ammo shoot out to 500 yards. You may find yourself pleasantly surprised. (I'm assuming we're both talking about 556...if not, disregard.)

· Registered
4,875 Posts
The wife and I have a couple 16” light bbl XCRs...always wondered what an 18” heavy might do to tighten things up a bit at 400-600 meters.
You'll gain a bit of velocity from the extra length but all things equal the Hbar will just stay tighter (with respect to what the barrel is capable of) for longer.

What are your L's doing at that range?

· Registered
4,875 Posts
10-15” groups at 500meters from a bag or bipod using Hornady ammo.
That's about what I'd expect. What's the best those hornady's do at 100?

When I started trying out different ammo I had some very surprising results out of a few barrels. 75 grain match not doing very well and 55's doing fantastically. I had one barrel that dumped wolf 55's into a dime size group....yeah, explain that.

It may be worth it to have a little ammo shoot out with some varying weights just to find out. Idiosyncrasy is a running component with the XCR. Although the later guns got some things ironed out those of us who got in early were never short on surprises or learning experiences. Just ask Sean to explain how him and Alex became besties.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts